The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rust (rust on wheel centres/axle ends)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
putting any lubricant on the studs or wheel nuts will change the torque settings, allowing you
to potentially over torque without knowing it and if not careful break a threaded stud off
Exactly. With lubricants, friction becomes less. So instead of being destroyed as friction, the energy is simply converted into more tension, so that the screw is overloaded and breaks off.

typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Most say
don't apply any lubricant, however there are some that say they have been doing so and never experienced any issues.
Every screw or bolt is oversized in a machine. The question is how much reserve there is. Sometimes the oversizing is quite high, and you are still within the limit. But sometimes it is not.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
With wheels, the bolts are way oversized and can usually handle lubricants - although this is not the intent of the massive oversizing. Wheels live in a dirty environment that requires stronger oversized bolts due to less than optimal mounting conditions. In the worst case - which does not happen often - they finally break with lubrication.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score
Theoretically, yes. You should not grease studs as it can lead to over torquing. Bentley motors have a paper on this which you can find online. Personally, based on my 50 years of putting a small amount of copper slip on each stud I have NEVER had any issues and it only made life easier.
That's exactly what I've been doing for many years. But be careful, I only use copper paste on steel rims, not on alloys.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score
The biggest risk is with people who rely on tyre shops using rattle guns to tighten their wheel nuts.
Check wheel nuts yourself , regularly, if you don't already have this habit.
And beware of actvists and delinquents who are prone to loosening them without your permission.
Quite right! That's why I don't let tyre dealers on my vehicle. Because they, like many other vehicle workshops, cannot operate a torque spanner.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
Threads? I prosume DCPU meant the surfaces only?
Yes, on this occasion I've only put Copaslip on parts of the hub face and wheel centre that I can see directly mate with surface contact. Unfortunately, I didn't take photos, as when the Copaslip comes out, anything relatively expensive gets put away. 😉

I've always put it on wheel stud threads on Landrovers but this time I'm going to leave untouched and see what happens.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
Yes, on this occasion I've only put Copaslip on parts of the hub face and wheel centre that I can see directly mate with surface contact. Unfortunately, I didn't take photos, as when the Copaslip comes out, anything relatively expensive gets put away. 😉

I've always put it on wheel stud threads on Landrovers but this time I'm going to leave untouched and see what happens.
I’ve not used it in this way. You just apply to leave a thin film?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
A question, for wheel lugs does greasing the threads do anything negative to reaching a correct tightening torque, i.e. will that lead to overtightening?
If you use something like Molycote 1000 it even helps to get the right torque. This Molycote helps to get an equal and definded friction and thereby torque between different joints.

If in doubt, please consult the book "

An Introduction to the Design and Behavior of Bolted Joints, Revised and Expanded (Mechanical Engineering, Band 97) "​

from John H. Bickford. He wrote the standard maintenance book for bolted joints in nuclear plants and one thing he stresses in that book is, how putting the right stuff on threads helps getting the right torque to prevent joints to fail.

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Ahh, an addition for German language people. This is a video from a company called "Ludwig Meister", a supplier for industrial customers. They do a lot videos regarding many mechanical stuff and how to do it right (small fun fact, Mr. Meister (not the guy in the video but the company owner) is the husband of Cathrin Meister, the lady and 4x4 instructor you can see on these Grenadier videos in this forum. Both do crazy trophy stuff...I know her for quite a time and my wife did an offroad training with her. Last week I meet her for the first time personally after doing some podcasts with her at the Abenteuer&Allread fair, quite an impressive lady).

It shows how to smeer bolts for getting the torque right and equal. As Mr. Bickford wrote in his book, it is more important to have equal torque between the bolts than the right torque (which is also important, but just to compare the importance). Me personaly use Molycote 1000 on my vehicles since 4 to 5 years for the wheel studs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI6Dfmr2-QY

AWo

Last edited:

jert

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Gave some love to my Genadier earlier today since it had some minor rust on bolts and wheel centre‘s when I did a testride some 2 weeks ago.
When I picked it up last week my dealer had removed at least the visible portion of it.

From the morning exercise I highly recommend spending some time early on (before the underbody completely covered w/ mud ;-) and do some conservation.
I used Owatrol Oil since it works perfectly on my 1989 firetruck/RV.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2380.jpeg
    IMG_2380.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2387.jpeg
    IMG_2387.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 84

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When I picked it up last week my dealer had removed at least the visible portion of it.
One thing I've seen, but not in detail, is that there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued for this. Verbally, I was told agents were to paint/spray them.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One thing I've seen, but not in detail, is that there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued for this. Verbally, I was told agents were to paint/spray them.
An owner should not have to do this type of 'maintenance' on a brand new modern 'outdoor' vehicle. How does a warranty go if you add a lubricant, and later have an issue? I will be asking my Agent how self-maintenance goes and what limitations IA is putting on owners...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
An owner should not have to do this type of 'maintenance' on a brand new modern 'outdoor' vehicle. How does a warranty go if you add a lubricant, and later have an issue? I will be asking my Agent how self-maintenance goes and what limitations IA is putting on owners...
There should be no owner maintenence necessary if agents undertake the remedial work as stated in the TSB...

Back
Top Bottom