The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

River crossings & diff locks

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
As a resident of the driest inhabited continent on this blue marble we live on (Antarctica is the driest, bit of trivia), my experience with river crossings is limited to short distances that aren’t really technical (south of the tropics resident here).

What are peoples views and experiences on using diff locks with rivers crossings? Specifically river beds that are commonly pebble to large pebble.

I’ve got the front and rear diff locks on my vehicle.

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Most of my ‘river’ crossings are fords, on tarmac. High range, no locker.

Something with low-traction like dirt or pebbles? I’d be wanting the centre diff (only) locked, in low range.

I wouldn’t engage the rear locker unless you know you need it. Similarly, but even more so, for the front locker; the ability to steer is more important! (Edit: I don’t have rear locker, but after reading the other comments if I had one I probably would engage the rear locker before a pebble river crossing. The centre lock and low range would probably already be on anyway before arriving at the water, depending on the conditions of course)

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Center diff locked, rear locker maybe but only in specific cases that may need it

Local time
Reaction score
How do you know before entering the water if the locker is needed or not? Usually it is too late if you are already stuck ...

The center diff lock should be on aready long before entering water. And why not lock the rear always when when wading? I would save the front for the bank getting out of water.

Local time
Reaction score
I usually use low range 2nd gear in my Nissan Patrol to have power but also enough speed for the bow wave.
I don’t have any lockers just the standard limited slip diff in the rear.

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
As a resident of the driest inhabited continent on this blue marble we live on (Antarctica is the driest, bit of trivia), my experience with river crossings is limited to short distances that aren’t really technical (south of the tropics resident here).

What are peoples views and experiences on using diff locks with rivers crossings? Specifically river beds that are commonly pebble to large pebble.

I’ve got the front and rear diff locks on my vehicle.
Have a think about getting raised diff breathers if you are going to be doing this often or at least be prepared to let the diffs cool before entering the water. If the diffs are hot on entry to water and they then quickly cool water can be sucked into the diff by the breather.

Braydo

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
My theory is if you’re looking at it and questioning it, then it’s low, locked, and rears in.

I’d also have the winch unspooled and a recovery plan agreed with other members of your party. You don’t want to get stuck half way and faff about there.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would be walking the river where I can and working out my track feeling the bottom conditions on the way...what is most important is depth and the exit...if the exit is steep, slippery or rocky with ruts...the rear locker would be engaged...I crossed the Daintree Nth Queensland, you don't walk that one because of the ocean going gekos[crocs] and we floated, back end only but managed to exit nicely...MQ Nissan Patrol 8mths and 25,000klms around Aussie 1981...the Grenadier would eat where we traveled but what an adventure...reliving some again...happy ventures (y)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How do you know before entering the water if the locker is needed or not? Usually it is too late if you are already stuck ...

The center diff lock should be on aready long before entering water. And why not lock the rear always when when wading? I would save the front for the bank getting out of water.
100% agree.
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Local time
Reaction score
Sometimes we just can't walk it ... or can, but it doesn't help :)

P1060733.JPG

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have a think about getting raised diff breathers if you are going to be doing this often or at least be prepared to let the diffs cool before entering the water. If the diffs are hot on entry to water and they then quickly cool water can be sucked into the diff by the breather.
The senior Ineos engineer who was at the Tech Tour presentation in Brisbane last Wed evening, did not believe this was an issue to be concerned about on the Grenadier due to the spring loaded nature of the existing diff breathers and the design of the seal and flange on the axle ends, although he was not "anti" the fitting raised diff breathers ....

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sometimes we just can't walk it ... or can, but it doesn't help :)

P1060733.JPG
Sounds like an exception to the rule.

I recently had a crossing I've done several times before surprise me with the amount of silt that had accumulated - I sank much more than usual & even forgot to drive around the dip that I knew was there because of it.

I was glad I had wading mode on & the diffs locked.

The things you do for a sandwich at a country store.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very insightful comments… appreciated.
A big thanks to all.

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom