The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rhino Full and 3/4 size

Karearea

Production/Transit
Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
Just checked my order details and yes it is the 6F rack, which may well be just the half rack 🤷🏼‍♂️
Just wanted it to finish before the safari windows for ease of use and less intrusion on the view out!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
Just checked my order details and yes it is the 6F rack, which may well be just the half rack 🤷🏼‍♂️
Just wanted it to finish before the safari windows for ease of use and less intrusion on the view out!
Assuming my memory is correct, the "6F" is 1670mm long and thus it's only 2/3rds (66%) the size of the full OEM Rhino rack.

By contrast the Front Runner Slimline 3/4 Grenadier rack (1964mm) is 75% of the full Front Runner Grenadier rack.

Size does indeed matter - an extra 300mm over the Rhino

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Tazzie, have you got any feedback on the front runner rack you can share? I have castled myself beautifully by not ordering the rhino rack and take delivery at end of the week. somehow I have to cart a posh surf ski to Dunsborough and the owner will have kittens if I don’t the right ski attachment. If it was mine I’d put the rated roof and handles to good use with some straps and padding…

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Tazzie, have you got any feedback on the front runner rack you can share? I have castled myself beautifully by not ordering the rhino rack and take delivery at end of the week. somehow I have to cart a posh surf ski to Dunsborough and the owner will have kittens if I don’t the right ski attachment. If it was mine I’d put the rated roof and handles to good use with some straps and padding…
I'm yet to use it in anger. It's all ready to go with an awning and quick release RTT attachment so when we get back from New Zealand we'll be keen to get going with it.
Obviously FR have all the bespoke attachments for posh kayaks , bikes etc if that's your flavour of fitness!

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
10:45 PM
Reaction score
It's confusing that the Rhino 3/4 doesn't maximize space to start just after the safari windows. The gap between the rack and window is wasted space. It also just looks shorter than 3/4. The front runner looks to be a better length.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It's confusing that the Rhino 3/4 doesn't maximize space to start just after the safari windows. The gap between the rack and window is wasted space. It also just looks shorter than 3/4. The front runner looks to be a better length.
Rhino is 1/2 unless someone knows better.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a FR 3/4 rack (but no safari windows). No wind noise @80kpm with nothing on the rack.

Have used it only once since put it on the car a few weeks ago; carrying the following on a 2 night camp in Vic high country:
tent (in it's bag) (32kg); 20lt water container (20kg); 2 maxtrax (7kg); a wolf pack pro box (@15kg), small shovel (3kg); axe (3kg)
So all up about 80kg of stuff on the roof + 40kg for the rack.

Of course a bit of wind noise with above stuff on (to be expected) but absolutely no issue with the rack whatsoever.

At 1964mm lenght the 3/4 FR is almost 300mm longer than the Rhino 3/4 rack - or more corrdctlt stated - HALF RACK.

I have positioned my FR as far to the rear as possible (so that the rear 2 legs snug up against the rear of the gutter). See photo.

Then, you see that the front of the rack is very close to where the rear of the safari windows would be. (see photo)

FRRHS.JPG
3quarterFrontRunner front.JPG3quarterFrontRunner rear.JPG

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Safari windows open no problem, I can attest.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Found this really interesting product on a German site, is listed as a Rhino Rack product but can't find it on the Australian Rhino Rack site. The backbone brackets join on the bolts & brackets for the grab handles and that allows the use of a standard Rhino Pioneer platform.

https://www.offroad24.de/index.php?...&pli=1045010010&artnr=50-10JA9301&view=detail

View attachment 7836939
View attachment 7836940
It looks like they have tahen a 1936 x 1236 Rhino Pioneer platform and developed a support structure (brackt) that bolts to the furthermost rack rail slot on each side and then on the grab handle brackets.

It seems a very neat and well thought out solution provided it has passed all the necessary testing.

I really like the look of it, esp. as it sits much lower than, say, the OEM Rhion and Front Runner racks, although about 340mm narrower than, say the FR 3/4 rack

However, would Rhino support this level of customisation, esp. guarantee on theor rack?

I would have thought that the support bracket could have some cut-outs without losing strengh

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Found this really interesting product on a German site, is listed as a Rhino Rack product but can't find it on the Australian Rhino Rack site. The backbone brackets join on the bolts & brackets for the grab handles and that allows the use of a standard Rhino Pioneer platform.

https://www.offroad24.de/index.php?...&pli=1045010010&artnr=50-10JA9301&view=detail

View attachment 7836939
View attachment 7836940
Looking closer the backbone bracket has a Taubenreuther logo cut into it so not official Rhino Rack, but still a great option.

HT

Production/Transit
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7836939
View attachment 7836940
Shopkeep, have you made any enquiries with any of the Aussie dealers to see if it’s coming downunder? I’d be interested to see its load rating etc. it’s lower profile looks way better than the clunky (albeit practical) offerings from front runner.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Shopkeep, have you made any enquiries with any of the Aussie dealers to see if it’s coming downunder? I’d be interested to see its load rating etc. it’s lower profile looks way better than the clunky (albeit practical) offerings from front runner.
Only found it online today. Checked out their shipping options but only EU via their website.

Reactions: HT

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Front Runner 3/4 rack is in use, we’ve just been round 4WD tracks in the Victorian high country in Aus. As well as QLD to VIC about 1700kms with a 3.5 tonne caravan (Retreat ERV) .

I’ve got solar panel, 4 x maxtracs, UHF aerial on GME folding mount, 50” light bar, quick release 2.4m awning, high lift jack and 2x20L diesel Jerry cans full.

Main track was Baldhead Rd/Baldhead Track/Marthavale Rd. Nothing too taxing but corrugated, rocky, max incline 17 degrees, a water crossing (a bit more slope for the water crossing but didn’t measure it). And a couple of days back a more gnarly off-road track with > 11 degrees roll and a few clearance issues (with roof rack loaded and no caravan - sorry no pics)

The roof rack has been fine.

IMG_2809.jpegIMG_2800.jpeg

IMG_8272.jpegIMG_2779.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom