The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

reverse camera at night

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
tonight I noticed that the lights for the number plate are blinding the reverse camera.
Does anybody has a solution for this problem? (Taping the lights for example)

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
This is a pretty common thing with several other vehicles as well. I know in the Toyota truck world, there is a gent that now makes a plug-n-play harness that connects to the taillights and number plate lights; when it detects that the number plate lights are on, and then reverse is activated, it cuts the power to the number plate lights.

It's a fairly simple normally closed relay that is opened when reverse is activated. You could grab the signal for the reverse light activation from the trailer towing connector if you have it and that would keep everything "outside"

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
tonight I noticed that the lights for the number plate are blinding the reverse camera.
Does anybody has a solution for this problem? (Taping the lights for example)
Hi bemax, did you find a working solution for you? Did you use tape or a relay triggerd by the reverse signal?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi bemax, did you find a working solution for you? Did you use tape or a relay triggerd by the reverse signal?
No, till now I just am bad tempered when I reverse at night. To install a relay I am not good enough in electrics.
The tape idea comes into my mind every time I have the problem and disappears immediately as soon as I switch to D again...

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Bemax, did you find a solution for this issue? I've tried tape but that didn't really work.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wrote to @chrsbe and asked if he could design some caps which could be clipped over the rear lights - like a sun shade. And then 3D print them...

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That would be great. Please keep us posted here. At night in the rain the rvc is pretty much useless.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey Bemax, did you find a solution for this issue? I've tried tape but that didn't really work.
Hi muxmax,
unfortunately I don´t have a solution yet. The tape just on the lights reduces the blending a bit. But at dark night this still doesn´t help much.

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
I've taken to turning off my lights when I need to reverse, so the lights don't come on around the numberplate. That helps with the glare. Atleast the daytime lights mark you out atthe front so others can see you.......

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today the prototypes arrived...
This looks really interesting. I posted a 3D printed shroud for the same purpose over on the Resources page a few days ago. Very different from this I think.

I'd like to see what this looks like when installed and hear how it works out! I can't quite sort out the final arrangement of the parts shown in your pic...

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This looks really interesting. I posted a 3D printed shroud for the same purpose over on the Resources page a few days ago. Very different from this I think.

I'd like to see what this looks like when installed and hear how it works out! I can't quite sort out the final arrangement of the parts shown in your pic...
I'll report!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I picked up a sheet of the darkest headlight tint I could find, and will install it tomorrow. I plan on the upper 50% of the light getting a double layer and a the lower 50% only a single layer.

Back
Top Bottom