The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Red Winches Nomad

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:23 AM
Reaction score
You‘re looking at my IG ;) I took possession of that Grenadier the first week of July. That rear which…I didn’t take because I got the front winch. Now waiting on the rock sliders, cargo separator and a fix for all the dings & dongs. Hedin promised me everything will be ready by mid -september so that we can leave on our trip.
Wow. Mid September! That’s a long time to get your vehicle ready 😳

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Red Winches coming out with a new product. I wonder if this is basically a de-rated version of the Grenadier winch?

View attachment 7805918
The Nomad is a new winch in its own right. Twice the capacity of the OE fitment winch.
Having spoken to the very friendly guys at Red Winch, my understanding is that they’re developing a number of options for fitment and installation (there’s a nearby company that will do the work, as Red Winch don’t have the room for vehicles cluttering up their premises). One option will be a replacement bumper in its entirety, the other being a replacement centre section of the bumper. As you may well know, the steel bumper comes in three sections, so with only the centre section being replaced, the Grenadier will retain most of its original appearance.

Bear in mind the forward placement of the Nomad compared to the OE winch, which will most likely mean heavier rated front suspension springs are needed.

Red Winch tell me that Ineos have seven spring rate options for the various configurations, for both home and overseas markets (Australia having bull bars and side protection must add a lot of weight).
The Nomad weighs in at 37kg, so suspension will definitely need uprating.

I’ve been kindly offered to visit the factory in a few weeks to have a tour and to discuss Nomad installation etc. I’ll definitely take them up on that, as the Nomad will be the winch that they wanted to fit originally, but were hamstrung by EU Pedestrian Impact regs which resulted in the OE winch being set back in the front chassis cross member, thereby limiting rope capacity to 15m, of which only 12m will be usable.
The Nomad on the other hand can take 30m or more, depending on rope diameter.
With the Nomad retailing at under £2k GBP (on its own), that leaves around £1.5k to cover bracketry and installation. Maybe more, maybe less.
So as long as your Grenadier has the optional wiring and switchgear, then I’d definitely consider the Nomad over the factory fitted winch.

Local time
Reaction score
The Nomad is a new winch in its own right. Twice the capacity of the OE fitment winch.
Having spoken to the very friendly guys at Red Winch, my understanding is that they’re developing a number of options for fitment and installation (there’s a nearby company that will do the work, as Red Winch don’t have the room for vehicles cluttering up their premises). One option will be a replacement bumper in its entirety, the other being a replacement centre section of the bumper. As you may well know, the steel bumper comes in three sections, so with only the centre section being replaced, the Grenadier will retain most of its original appearance.

Bear in mind the forward placement of the Nomad compared to the OE winch, which will most likely mean heavier rated front suspension springs are needed.

Red Winch tell me that Ineos have seven spring rate options for the various configurations, for both home and overseas markets (Australia having bull bars and side protection must add a lot of weight).
The Nomad weighs in at 37kg, so suspension will definitely need uprating.

I’ve been kindly offered to visit the factory in a few weeks to have a tour and to discuss Nomad installation etc. I’ll definitely take them up on that, as the Nomad will be the winch that they wanted to fit originally, but were hamstrung by EU Pedestrian Impact regs which resulted in the OE winch being set back in the front chassis cross member, thereby limiting rope capacity to 15m, of which only 12m will be usable.
The Nomad on the other hand can take 30m or more, depending on rope diameter.
With the Nomad retailing at under £2k GBP (on its own), that leaves around £1.5k to cover bracketry and installation. Maybe more, maybe less.
So as long as your Grenadier has the optional wiring and switchgear, then I’d definitely consider the Nomad over the factory fitted winch.

They are good, I have spoken a couple of times too...
The OE winch fitment was severely limited by the EU PI regs and is (IMO) close to useless with only 12M of usable rope.

I'm sure there will be several manufacturers offering a front mounted winch/bumper config.
Hopefully most of the wiring will be in place although I can't imagine it would be that difficult to run power cabling back to the battery and most winches offer either wired or remote operation anyway.

The main issue will likely be warranty, although if something fails that has absolutely nothing to do with the installtion of the winch then I don't see that Ineos would be able to refuse.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Why ? (because you say so) ...
What's wrong with this thread ?
This is how the forum software references other thread posts.

Not to be misunderstood with someone issuing an unsolicited instruction.

Back
Top Bottom