The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rear seating comparison Grenadier vs classic 110 Defender

Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

studied the pics recently of the IG seating comparison btw SW and Utility. Anyone able to concrete compare the Utility rear seating with the rear bench of a classic 110 Defender, especially when it comes to the steepness angle of the back? Is it at least a little bit more literally laid back than the classic 110? Cheers

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I am no expert on Landies but spent a week doing 1200 miles across France in the back seat of a 110. The IG Utility seat angle is about the same as a 110. What makes the IG considerably more comfortable is the Recaro seat cushioning. If you want more comfort then it's a few bolts to move the metal seat mounting plate to the more relaxed Belstaff vehicle placement. About a 5 min job.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I always found that the seats in my Lightweight were about the most comfortable. I think it had something to do with the relatively upright seat back.

It's strange to see people now seeing that as a negative in relation to the Grenadier. Screenshot_20220909_143728.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
A beauty, looks good. A Series 2 ...

Is that yours?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No that's not mine ~ ripped a photo off the net just to illustrate the seats.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Many people have mir a sleeping than a sitting position in their car. It is always amazing what people have to change when their seating is controlled during a road safety training

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
Many people have mir a sleeping than a sitting position in their car. It is always amazing what people have to change when their seating is controlled during a road safety training
My current car seat is very reclined, I guess at least 45 degrees. Any more upright and my head would be squashed against the roof. I prefer an upright seat so looking forward to the change in vehicle

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> My current car seat is very reclined, I guess at least 45 degrees.

Be honest: This just happens if the legs are too short and the stomach too big. :p

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My current car seat is very reclined, I guess at least 45 degrees. Any more upright and my head would be squashed against the roof. I prefer an upright seat so looking forward to the change in vehicle
45° seems very extreme, could it be much less?

Seat geometry has interested me since I built a few chairs and benches for the garden as has the science behind it.

inclinaison-assise-6-fonctions-e1582703469145.jpg

Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
Not scientific but I have sat in both. Grenadier is lower with more leg room. Not really a comparison on with Grenadier significantly more comfortable and robust. Someone was saying production models will have more pitch than display ones.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
> My current car seat is very reclined, I guess at least 45 degrees.

Be honest: This just happens if the legs are too short and the stomach too big. :p
I resemble that remark. Actually the glass roof means the surround is about 100mm lower than normal so even reclined my head is only 50mm off the roof.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
45° seems very extreme, could it be much less?

Seat geometry has interested me since I built a few chairs and benches for the garden as has the science behind it.

View attachment 7793398
I just too k a guess at 45 but it is certainly more than the 36 Type 6 you have up there and from knees down is almost horizontal to the pedals,maybe 15 degrees

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I always found that the seats in my Lightweight were about the most comfortable. I think it had something to do with the relatively upright seat back.

It's strange to see people now seeing that as a negative in relation to the Grenadier. View attachment 7793390
The strange secretly comfortable series seats!
I've never had any comfort issues with the same seats in my S3. Even though mine are far more worn than yours!
The Grenadier will feel overly luxurious to my old school arse department!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi folks,

studied the pics recently of the IG seating comparison btw SW and Utility. Anyone able to concrete compare the Utility rear seating with the rear bench of a classic 110 Defender, especially when it comes to the steepness angle of the back? Is it at least a little bit more literally laid back than the classic 110? Cheers

In the interests of science...

Double cab rear seats:
WP_20220924_012.jpg

Inclination of the seat base:
WP_20220924_014.jpg

Inclination of the seat back:
WP_20220924_016.jpg

Very much at the lower end of Type 1. This position is practical for eating, working at a desk or for getting up easily.

Back
Top Bottom