The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rear Ladder weight capacity

MrJAT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone know the weight bearing capacity of the small rear door and ladder? I am looking to mount an outboard engine on the ladder that weighs 43kg. I know it can take a human climbing up and down it so at least 80kg but that is presumably with the door shut. So checking it will be ok opening the door with 43kg on the ladder?

Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
The owners manual states:

Access Ladder (OPTIONAL)

WARNING: Maximum load capacity on the Access Ladder is 150 kg.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:45 AM
Reaction score
Access Ladder (OPTIONAL)

One thing to keep in mind, that rating is static load (when the vehicle is not moving); as with the roof rack (on every vehicle), the "dynamic" load (when driving) is usually far less. This is due to the shift in CG as well as the constant vibration forces caused on the mounting points that aren't present when stopped. With all that being said, I feel like 43kgs is probably fine, assuming it is distributed across the ladder, as the exterior gear rails can hold ~40kg per panel

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, that rating is static load (when the vehicle is not moving); as with the roof rack (on every vehicle), the "dynamic" load (when driving) is usually far less. This is due to the shift in CG as well as the constant vibration forces caused on the mounting points that aren't present when stopped. With all that being said, I feel like 43kgs is probably fine, assuming it is distributed across the ladder, as the exterior gear rails can hold ~40kg per panel
The other larger door is holding around 40kg and the weight is farther from the hinges so should be ok.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
The owners manual states:

Access Ladder (OPTIONAL)

I would be cautious of this as I assume it is the static load capacity not the dynamic load.
They are probably assuming people will only be climbing the ladder when the vehicle is stopped.
Carrying a load while bouncing up and down over roads and offroad tracks might be considerably less.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
I would be happy with a jerry but not trust more if it's rough going.

Back
Top Bottom