The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Radiator Skid Plate - Low hanging, anything to worry about?

Ghempo

Global Grenadier
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, or isn't actually something worth discussing...

The first few times I looked at the Grenadier from the front, I was puzzled by the cut-out in the front skid plate. I finally put it together, that the radiator of the BMW engine is hanging down quite a bit between the frame rails.

Does anyone else think there might be protection issues there? General off-road clearance problems?

I had a slimline bumper and steering dampener relocation on my '98 Disco, so lots of open an unprotected space, but certainly didn't have anything as important as a radiator that close to the ground.

Maybe there's nothing to worry about, or I'm not processing the design properly (particularly since I have yet to see it in the flesh). So, I'd love for the more informed members out there to weigh in on this.

Cheers!
-Lee

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, or isn't actually something worth discussing...

The first few times I looked at the Grenadier from the front, I was puzzled by the cut-out in the front skid plate. I finally put it together, that the radiator of the BMW engine is hanging down quite a bit between the frame rails.

Does anyone else think there might be protection issues there? General off-road clearance problems?

I had a slimline bumper and steering dampener relocation on my '98 Disco, so lots of open an unprotected space, but certainly didn't have anything as important as a radiator that close to the ground.

Maybe there's nothing to worry about, or I'm not processing the design properly (particularly since I have yet to see it in the flesh). So, I'd love for the more informed members out there to weigh in on this.

Cheers!
-Lee
At the risk of stating the obvious I'll share driving observations that took me a depressingly long time to habituate...

One error I made unaccustomed to rigid axle vehicles versus IFS vehicles is trying to straddle obstacles between the wheel track.
This results in one arriving at the obstacle carrying too much speed with vulnerable centreline components including the radiator, steering components, front differential and sump.

This increases the potential severity of damage if one has misjudged the available clearance (as I did more than once, and was rescued by underbody armour protecting the sump).

What it can also lead to is changing ones mind and hitting the brakes shortly before the obstacle.
This obviously compresses the front suspension and worsens the problem.

This a long way of saying that, when considered alongside the OEM availability of F/R locking differentials, that the Gren has been designed for a slow, deliberate approach where one would typically run the wheel OVER the obstacle rather than straddling it and relying on clearance. In Oz this is not strange as it's pretty much how one would usually drive a TroopCarrier or a stretch chassis LandCruiser.

I think this is in contrast to typical driving styles, particularly in the US, where larger wheel sizes and faster approach speed is the go - think Jeep, Bronco or Ranger Raptor.

Long way of saying I think it's designed for a certain style of technical driving and may need modding if you want to drive it differently.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think this is in contrast to typical driving styles, particularly in the US, where larger wheel sizes and faster approach speed is the go - think Jeep, Bronco or Ranger Raptor.
Monster truck! Monster truck!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Cheers!
-Lee
It’s certainly something to consider. My current vehicle, a Mitsubishi Pajero sport is vulnerable in the same position and comes from factory with a flimsy plastic cover and many have come to grief even on sand. Most if us who offroad them replace with a metal bash plate and it solves the problem unless you are being stupid. I haven’t really had an opportunity to assess the strength of the standard plate on the grenadiers, being metal it probably gives fair protection but it may be necessary to replace with a beefed up bash plate in time if they prove not to be robust enough.
IMG_4099.jpeg

Ghempo

Global Grenadier
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for all the excellent responses from down under!

I’m definitely more in the camp of “slow is smooth, smooth is fast,” and have no intention of turning my Gren (should I snag one) into a monster truck, haha!

All great points about driving over obstacles rather than straddling them!

Upon further thought, it’s probably better to have something needing protection up under the front bumper instead of between the axles. And on that note, it seems the overall clearance height on level ground is bound by the height of the fuel tank, as I understand it.

Thanks again all, and do let me know if I’m mistaken about those last two observations!

Cheers,
Lee

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Cheers!
-Lee
@Ghempo For general off-road use, I see no problem. The skid plate is stable. Even if it gets dented, nothing will happen to the radiator. I have just taken two pictures for you.

Attachments

• IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 74

Ghempo

Global Grenadier
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @rovie!

Those pictures are helpful, and I think my fears are assuaged.

I’m looking forward to the order window opening!

Back
Top Bottom