The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Quatermaster cab chassis

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
That was really my point - that the 70-series is a better match for mining use in Australia than the QM. We don't get the 70 here, so I don't know much about the engine options. I drove a 70 with the 4.5 V8 for 5 weeks back in 2007 - but its my only experience with a 70. I'm also not familiar with your other commercial options (Mahindra, etc.) - I was just expressing doubt that the QM would find a home in the mines of Australia when there are cheaper options that have good reliability and better payload. It seems like the QM will be popular with the overland / touring crowd, many of whom will prefer it to the "old-school" 70-series.
Absolutely, they will have to come out with a "no frills" model to even be considered by any mining company.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Absolutely, they will have to come out with a "no frills" model to even be considered by any mining company.
Which will come eventually, once the high margin vehicles are harder to sell. Until then Ineos Automotive need the margin to pay for the setup of this and any new models; as the various markets get saturated, they will look to other niches, of which a stripped out base model is probably the least profitable, but will at least keeps the lines running.

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
QM in Australian mining I would doubt that it would be used due to several key issues. Parts and diagnostic equipment availability and pay load lack of gvm increases. This could change once the brand is more established and has more non OEM support.
Contrary to what people say about Landcruisers there are many mines and rental fleets taking delivery of V8 LC while still available. These companies have been receiving LC in smaller numbers because of standing orders while there has been a public shortage. Some large miners and contractors in the coal sector will only use LC70 for maintenance, dewatering, dragline and survey teams and many of these are operating at full increased gvm daily and are used to do tasks outside of what would considered normal. Heavier axles, clutches and suspension , the gearing is lower and combined with live axle ground clearance these attributes make the LC79s a good off road work vehicle over the mostly IFS offerings in Australia.
I am sure back in 1958 when Thiess Constructions imported the first Toyota Landcruisers into Australia nobody wanted to use inferior Japanese product compared to the old reliable Landrovers.
They used them for the Snowy Mountain Scheme power station they were building and it says the next major customer was Mt Newman Mining in Western Australia.
The wheels turn - no pun intended.
Thiess history is and how they started is interesting. Some of the reason why Toyota was looked down upon was the sentiments left over from WWII and this was still used as a quiet barrier up until the 1980's for various company and government contracts. One of the main reasons for bringing in the Toyota was because of issues with the Land Rover. The first LC did have issues but Toyota rectified and improved the vehicle quicker then what Land Rover was willing to do. Theiss was also selling Toyota trucks and was the sole importer of Toyota commercial vehicle into roughly the late 80's early 90's when the commercial vehicles become a part of Toyota Australia.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240401_180425_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_180425_Chrome.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 21

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
Back in 2021 Trayon campers published the following... the Quartermaster cab-chassis would be ideal ...
I don't have a shed large enough.... I no longer have a shed.. :cry:... but occasionally I suffer 'shed envy'.;)

Reactions: PBD

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
I'd like to see a Zone RV composite canopy on a Quartermaster, they are arguably one of the most space saving canopies on the market. 222kgs makes it one of the lightest
When zone launched their canopy, I was please let it come to America. Then QM was announced and I was let us order a QM with a canopy of our choice.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
And now change the cab to a one or one and a half... Last one with narrow suicide doors on the passenger side...

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
Quartermaster Crew Cab with the most popular fit out for a dual cab in Australia. Borrowed image from IG Owners AU FB page.
My own set up would have two spare tyres on the head board and no rear under tray tool boxes or may have field service tool boxes on the tray with 2 spare between them not a full canopy.

IG cab chassis Aus.jpg

Last edited:

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
Well as many of you in the USA and Canada received, Ineos announced in an email today “Quartermaster is coming”. So I guess regardless of the additional 25% US import tariff on pickup trucks (aka the “chicken” tax) it’s a go. Here’s a screenshot of my email:
IMG_0892.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom