The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Preferred Riding Gear

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
Hi Ineos Forumites,

Given the Grenadier is being packaged with a Belstaff wax cotton jacket, a garment that traces its' pedigree to the earliest off-road and adventure motorcyclists, it seems only natural that a discussion about motorcycle gear should occur, and sure enough it already has over in the "Costs in America" thread.

So - let's let this be a place to talk your preferred kit! Tell us your style of riding and how you've got yourself braced for the elements, what you like and don't like. I'll start us off:

Type of Riding: ADV Touring/Daily Driver

Helmet: Fly Racing Trek helmet - it's got a nice beak for off road touring/sunshine that doesn't catch the wind too badly, and it's quite affordable for its certifications. It's due replacement but I've got no complaints other than it's a bit heavy. I'm in the market and am eager to hear what folks like.

Jacket: Klim Latitude. Should have bought a Klim product to begin with, as I've been chasing a good rain solution for a long time. Before this, I owned a Triumph Kalahari jacket, which lasted me a couple of years but was never waterproof despite claiming it would be. I loved how it could go from very cold temps to very warm temps so easily though - it was very climate versatile. But you needed secondary rain gear, so I tried rubbers (to hot), Frog Toggs (too fragile) and some North Face rain pants and jacket (which proved to work best but weren't designed for this application - the jacket had a hood that had to go under the helmet and it was just awkward). Eventually I decided to put Klim's "Guaranteed to keep you dry' to the test...5 years later, I'm dry as a bone. Up top, anyway.

As to why I picked the latitude, I know Klim have some stuff that is more "adventure chic" with things like pockets and hydration bladders and such, but anytime there's a protrusion on a riding jacket it's a spot for concentrating an impact, so I prefer to try to keep my jacket smooth and pockets empty -- that way if I go off, the load is spread out over my body, and not all going right into my ribs because of the SPOT device in my pocket. I use a hiking hydration bladder when its needed and worth the risk, but not every day.

Pants: Triumph Kalahari pant. Super comfortable because like the jacket it goes from cool to warm very easily. But not waterproof. My torso is comfy, my legs and bottom area are soaked, so I'm constantly reminded how good I could be if I only got my stuff together and shelled out the coin for the Klim pants. Someday.

Boots: Alpinestar Scout - Good boot for the money, I like them for the balance of protection and walkability. They are - you guessed it - not waterproof despite claiming otherwise. I am on the hunt for replacements of these as well.

Looking forward to hearing what you all use!

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:36 PM
Reaction score
Your right about klim, they are expensive but their gear is worth it.
Iv tried various helmets over the years , iv settled on the klim krios pro since 2019 and been happy with it, along with everything else they make like the base layers, socks, suits and gloves.

My Riding type: adv touring/ enduro/ commuting
Adv/ touring riding (on road 80%)
klim Krios pro helmet- fits me well , light, and have used it in various tours on road and Offroad in various climate conditions without fail.
Like you the klim latitude suit for me as well, and adv gloves if touring or klim baja s4 suit and gloves (in the heat)
sidi adv2 boots, my feet tend to enjoy being in these boots for extended periods without fatigue and they’re waterproof
On my back is a Kriega 18l trailbag and 3l bladder

As for Adv/ Enduro riding (Offroad 80%)
Klim krios pro helmet and goggles,
Desert riding: alpine star upper body protection, Leatt neck brace 5.5 depending on the terrain, any jersey, Leatt knee braces and any mx or enduro pants (Leatt 4.5 usually)
Sidi atojo boots - although not the safest, they held up well so far and are light!
Offroad riding in other rocky or green terrain, klim baja s4 suit and gloves.
3l Hydration bladder in kriega hydration bag

Commuting:
Klim krios pro helmet with transition visor, dainese mesh jacket, John Doe cargo stroker pants and John Doe sneakers or forma mid adv boots

That’s my usual setup !

As for the belstaff jacket, I was not asked or offered one here in dubai when I paid a deposit but I will mention this to the dealer, although not visually attracted to their motor cycle gear to be honest.

My klim helmet is due for a change soon, iv tried the acerbis carbon and that feels good but is too loud on the road for daily use. It will be difficult to replace the klim I may just get another one with a diff color if I can’t settle on another brand

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
On my BMW R18 Classic I have opted for a variety of wear depending on the weather.
A Merlin waxed cotton jacket in brown suits the bike as does the BMW Pure horse hide jacket.
I generally wear a heated under jacket made by Macna. Very light weight and comfortable.
My most waterproof wear would be my BMW Atlantis nubuck leathers the qualities of which are amazing. The fact that 20 years later, it is still essentially the same suit makes me feel it was a good choice.
I have recently purchased the Arai X4 helmet which is a great all rounder and suits my needs perfectly.
I am still on the lookout for a waterproof jean / chino as well as perhaps the Merlin waxed cotton trousers to match the jacket. The waterproof qualities of my Merlin kit has not yet been properly tested.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
BMW R1250RT, ride for pleasure now, only on pavement, some touring - riding to BMW Motorcycle Owner's Association National Rallies once a year, a week or two trip. Mostly just day trips and riding to breakfast or dinner meetings for various motorcycle clubs - Blue Knights, for example. Usually take the long way home and catch some twisties or at least lengthen the ride, out of town.

Helmet is a Schuberth C5 Pro with their built-in comms. Oakley Rx sunglasses. Music by BMW Motorrad app / Apple Tunes. BigEar in-ear custom fit monitors (earphones). 33dB NRR and play music!
Jacket is a Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar made to order in Bright Yellow with Black contrast pockets, and accents, also with retroreflective tape across the back and down the sleeves for extra visibility at night.
Pants are Draggin' Jeans - Kevlar lined denim with knee protectors.
Boots depending on the season, BMW Air Mesh or BMW Touring.
Klim perforated leather full finger gloves in summer, BMW (Can't recall the model name) heavy, thinsulate gauntlets in winter.

Local time
Reaction score
Over the years, I’ve assembled too much kit for too many different styles of riding, so I’ll offer the dailies here: Arai X4 (big fan), Belstaff Trialmaster, Brooklands, or Dainese Fabric jacket (depending on need/weather), Ugly Bros pants (good fit, flexible knees), Dainese short gloves, Gaerne oiled or Sidi Gortex boots (depends on riding).

All the above is for the Ural, which gets the most rotation.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
I have had a BMW R1150GS für 50k km and was in Switzerland, Austria, Italy, France and Corsica with it. Wonderful.

It was the ideal bike for me because it has a perfect chassis and a powerful engine.

But it is very heavy and a bit high for me, so I haven't ridden it since I got my diesel bike. From 90 hp to 12 hp, that is a change - but for traveling it is very relaxing and the characteristics of the engine is ideal and for my current needs just right. And with only 12 HP I still have an average traveling speed of 67 km/h on small country roads even over long distances. Refueling with a 13 L tank only every 500-600 Km, and that saves a lot of time (if this is important for somebody).

Helmet: Schubert S2. Very quiet and comfortable, relatively light and the right fit for my head.

Jacket: I used to have only Goretex jackets, but have now completely abandoned them: Too hot in summer, and with time no longer waterproof - no matter how good I cared for the maintenance. Instead, I use a well-ventilated Cordura jacket with removable thermal lining. Over it in the rain a Held rain jacket. This is light, absolutely tight, comfortable and above all is in HiViz yellow.

When I drive around in the region here I have my M65. Safety-wise it's wrong, but that's the whole motorcycling anyway.

Pants: On trips or longer distances I wear ventilated Cordura pants, and if it rains I additionally have Held rain pants. Otherwise I drive around here with my jeans or Cordura work pants with padding inserts.

Boots: Daytona Road Star GTX. Most comfortable boot I know and pretty safe.

Edit: missing comma

Last edited:

MaddMatt

Reservation Holder
Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
Boots: Alpinestar Scout - Good boot for the money, I like them for the balance of protection and walkability. They are - you guessed it - not waterproof despite claiming otherwise. I am on the hunt for replacements of these as well.

Looking forward to hearing what you all use!
I'm guessing you already know - Klim Outlander - but you ride harder/more than me. I also have a pair of Alpinestar Tech 3? 5?...I forget the number, because once I got the Klims I never went back. I do like walking around like a Stormtrooper though, my Alpinestars are completely black and white. But for me the taller boots are overkill, and the taller cuff holds my legs at an angle that tends to create knee pain on long days, but your needs may vary. So I switched to the Outlander.

My last camping trip (which was longer ago than I care to admit) was 8+ hour days on the Tiger, 2 of which were on portions of the Colorado BDR, and about 1 1/2 days on highway. I found room in the panniers for a pair of Tevas for camp use, and never took them out, just wore those Outlanders from the minute I woke up until it was time to climb in the sleeping bag. Easy to hike around and then just jump back on the bike.

So, like yourself, I'm a big fan of Klim gear - fully worth the money in my opinion.

KBKLR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Klim Badlands jacket and pants, Sidi or Altberg boots, various lids depending on trip, merino base layers. Klim seems to be pretty popular on here, only issue is the weight, but worth it for all the other benefits, very dry and the best venting.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I'm guessing you already know - Klim Outlander - but you ride harder/more than me. I also have a pair of Alpinestar Tech 3? 5?...I forget the number, because once I got the Klims I never went back. I do like walking around like a Stormtrooper though, my Alpinestars are completely black and white. But for me the taller boots are overkill, and the taller cuff holds my legs at an angle that tends to create knee pain on long days, but your needs may vary. So I switched to the Outlander.

My last camping trip (which was longer ago than I care to admit) was 8+ hour days on the Tiger, 2 of which were on portions of the Colorado BDR, and about 1 1/2 days on highway. I found room in the panniers for a pair of Tevas for camp use, and never took them out, just wore those Outlanders from the minute I woke up until it was time to climb in the sleeping bag. Easy to hike around and then just jump back on the bike.

So, like yourself, I'm a big fan of Klim gear - fully worth the money in my opinion.

I'll definitley check them out - I didn't even realize Klim made footwear but that's great to know! Especially your experience not having to take them off and switch to camp shoes - I hate wet feet, especially on those longer days, so swapping to some camp shoes to dry out the feet was always critical in my Scouts.

MaddMatt

Reservation Holder
Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
I'll definitley check them out - I didn't even realize Klim made footwear but that's great to know! Especially your experience not having to take them off and switch to camp shoes - I hate wet feet, especially on those longer days, so swapping to some camp shoes to dry out the feet was always critical in my Scouts.
To be fair, the vast majority of my riding is simple day trips, I only get to do multiple day rides once or twice per year, and always in the fall - so no sweat issues. On multi-day trips in the summer, I would still be bringing camp shoes.

Back
Top Bottom