The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Grenadier Fence in Brisbane

Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
Yep it’s definitely going to be interesting at the current price point in Australia. To add to that there are things about the RHD version that will further turn off buyers in a relatively small market. I think the LHD markets will fair much better.

But still there are some of us who are not keen on the current vehicles on offer and see this as what the new defender should have been. At the initial may22 price I can still justify it but the current pricing has it $30k more for the spec I have.

I still see it as what I’ve been chasing as a replacement for my 110.
I absolutely agree.. at the prices most people who now have cars paid it's a different equation. I still think that once the bugs are sorted and if/when it has meaningful support in Australia it has the potential to be a vehicle that will find happy owners. As to how many .. that will depend on the price.

When I bought my 110 in 2005 - before I took it into the bush I bought the paper manuals for it which were freely available from LR (remember those things - man they were big and heavy). If you take a car into the middle of nowhere.. I like to know that I'll have the information I need to problem solve/repair. Despite their promises of freely available manuals, dealers everywhere.. flying spanners etc.. none of this has happened. That's non-negotiable for me. These promises would also have to be delivered before I'd front up anyway so it's certainly moot at this juncture.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
That could change rapidly
Also , how much would you spend on a new 70 series to bring it up to par with a Grenadier?
I did the calculations. The Grenadier was cheaper by a lot - at least for my configuration.

Getting sound deadening, dual batteries, oil catch can, 2 fuel filters, decent offload tyres, fixing weak diffs, fixing the axle differences between the front and back, braided brakes lines, suspension upgrade, getting a hand brake and brakes that work all add up. Then I would need to fit it out. For me the 70 series was at least AUD20,000 more and I still think the Grenadier is better.

Someone at dealer I was talking too, found the same thing.

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score

So you are no longer... On the Grenadier Fence in Brisbane?​

Thinking again I know that if I did need a new car I'd go for the Toyota without question. Yeah there are a few things I really don't like on it (leaf springs), but there are things that I do like - like 300kg lighter, and proven parts and service backup in the remote areas.
Opinion or Fact?
The grenadier has missed the defender market.. they seem to be trying to compete with the Discovery 6 rather than being a replacement for the original Defender - which was a cheap utility car.
Happy motoring whatever it is you are searching for... ;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I did the calculations. The Grenadier was cheaper by a lot - at least for my configuration.

Getting sound deadening,
Yes , the sound deadening is a deal breaker. I doubt you could get a 70 properly insulated.
I'm not manly enough to put up with the racket that impedes conversation and general comfort.
I've got a S3 Landy for that!

Local time
Reaction score

Getting sound deadening, dual batteries, oil catch can, 2 fuel filters, decent offload tyres, fixing weak diffs, fixing the axle differences between the front and back, braided brakes lines, suspension upgrade, getting a hand brake and brakes that work all add up. Then I would need to fit it out. For me the 70 series was at least AUD20,000 more and I still think the Grenadier is better.

Someone at dealer I was talking too, found the same thing.
How long ago did you do the calculation?

If I bought a 70 series, I would take it as is. About the only thing I can think of I'd have to add that's on the grenadier is a dual battery system. Everything else I'd add is optional on the Grenadier anyway.

How's your 130 litre grenadier fuel tank going, BTW?

Local time
Reaction score
Opinion or Fact?

Happy motoring whatever it is you are searching for... ;)
I'll just keep driving the defender thanks.... having had my Grenadier dream dashed.

If ineos ever get market competitive pricing I'll consider them.

Reactions: Max
Local time
Reaction score
Yes , the sound deadening is a deal breaker. I doubt you could get a 70 properly insulated.
I'm not manly enough to put up with the racket that impedes conversation and general comfort.
I've got a S3 Landy for that!
WHAAAT??? You know I've been driving a defender for 20 years...

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
WHAAAT??? You know I've been driving a defender for 20 years...
Yes but does your wife like to chat whilst on a drive?
Or does she wear noise cancelling headphones?
Literally I have to shout at passengers in my S3

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I borrowed a Grenadier today for a drive (thank you very much) that I am pretty sure was just a pretty standard base wagon.

Completely different vehicle to mine so much quieter inside. I thought it was a petrol/gas version at first.
I can hear the diffs and get more sound through the open or closed safari windows.
I commented at the time that it was like driving an SUV not a 4WD. Not a bad thing but not what I want.

It had carpet, no diff locks, no extra wiring, no privacy/heat resistant glass or window tinting, no bars except aftermarket side steps, cloth seats, K02 tyres (thankfully not the standard road tyres or it would have been a complete failure).
Big one for me was no Safari Windows.

I would not have even thought about purchasing one if this was the first vehicle I drove.

The roof felt low, dark and bland/characterless without the safari windows.
The roof switch panel was bare with no diff lock switches or last row of switches.
As was the lower panel without the seat heater dials. (i don't particularly want the seat heaters)

Clear window glass looked strange.

I hated the cloth seats and they would need seat covers immediately. (as I guess many will do)
No bull bars or side bars just looked bare.
Also the lack of L track along the side and in the boot looked strange.

I guess if someone had full intentions to use it as a base, and planned to do lots of modification, it would be a great place to start. (Except why would you choose carpet???)
So this was pretty much the vehicle I was driving

1708517868029.png1708517937300.png1708517985260.png1708518024100.png

The great thing about the Grenadier is that you can choose a lot (Except in US/Canada it seems) so we don't have to squeeze into what a dealer/marketing person chose for us.

Obviously I am biased and absolutely love mine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rLlLfAcESmM

1708518755423.png1708519082767.png1708519130179.png1708519182378.png1708519222213.png1708519256896.png

Lucky we all get to pick and choose exactly what we want o suit our tastes, needs and wants.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How long ago did you do the calculation?

If I bought a 70 series, I would take it as is. About the only thing I can think of I'd have to add that's on the grenadier is a dual battery system. Everything else I'd add is optional on the Grenadier anyway.

How's your 130 litre grenadier fuel tank going, BTW?
And this is the whole point. Just because you prefer a different vehicle to a Grenadier, it doesn't make you right or wrong.
It is just your decision for which vehicle is best suited to your needs, wants, lifestyle, budget and intended use.
I drove a 70 series and decided there is no way I could live with it on an everyday use case that I have.
I also drove an MB GLE Coupe and loved it but again it was too over the top for my everyday use case.
The Grenadier is a close to perfect vehicle for me, but I also added the leather interior and some other luxuries.
At the $121K onroad that I paid it makes a sound financial decision for me also.
at the current price for the same thing (or closest I can get) it comes to $153K which I couldn't justify.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I borrowed a Grenadier today for a drive (thank you very much) that I am pretty sure was just a pretty standard base wagon.

Completely different vehicle to mine so much quieter inside. I thought it was a petrol/gas version at first.
I can hear the diffs and get more sound through the open or closed safari windows.
I commented at the time that it was like driving an SUV not a 4WD. Not a bad thing but not what I want.

It had carpet, no diff locks, no extra wiring, no privacy/heat resistant glass or window tinting, no bars except aftermarket side steps, cloth seats, K02 tyres (thankfully not the standard road tyres or it would have been a complete failure).

I would not have even thought about purchasing one if this was the first vehicle I drove.

The roof switch panel was bare with no diff lock switches or last row of switches.
As was the lower panel without the seat heater dials. (i don't particularly want the seat heaters)

I hated the cloth seats and they would need seat covers immediately. (as I guess many will do)

I guess if someone had full intentions to use it as a base, and planned to do lots of modification, it would be a great place to start. (Except why would you choose carpet???)

View attachment 7844896View attachment 7844897View attachment 7844898View attachment 7844899

The great thing about the Grenadier is that you can choose a lot (Except in US/Canada it seems) so we don't have to squeeze into what a dealer/marketing person chose for us.

View attachment 7844900View attachment 7844902View attachment 7844903View attachment 7844904View attachment 7844905View attachment 7844906

Lucky we all get to pick and choose exactly what we want o suit our tastes, needs and wants.

Sela Green yesterday morning @DaveB ??
I may have followed you from Ignition to the Gympie Rd turnoff heading north.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did some quick recalculations.. a 70 series gxl wagon is low 80's on the road. The base model Grenadier is 110 on the road, and the Trialmaster is 123 OTR. But that's not a single option and it's still 40k more than the 70 GXL wagon. Would be easy to get to 140k even being quite careful.
Yeah, but the 70 series is still a total gulag on wheels by comparison, let's be honest.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Can a 130K car be a utility vehicle? I think so @DesertGecko .

Jim said: utilitarian off-road vehicle; capable; durable; reliable

Jim didn't say: cheap; primitive; arduous to use.

I think the entry level point is lower than that. Converting the price of our order/build here in the States into AUD is only about A$116K. Stripping down to the Utility Wagon, lockers, and tow hitch is A$113K before onroad costs. Maybe that's not a big difference but what mining concern or sheep ranch is adding leather, carpet, or Safari windows?

Farmers will want these things as much as (The Dreaded :eek:) People Who Go To Farmers Markets will want these things...

I've been in both categories a bit. Farming? Only enough to know it's not my raison d'être though my grandfather was still walking behind a team until the end. Going to a "farmer's market"? A little bit here and there if real farmers are showing up. When I do go it generally isn't in my oldest beater truck and wearing a pair of shit-covered Wellies. I readily admit to being a customer...with a budget.:cautious:

The point is it seems that the Grenadier falls somewhere between an OD or 70 Series and a bling-bling G Wagon both in price and amenities. It can straddle the fence without being completely pretentious or preposterous. I don't think anyone will call me a poser at the local Grange meeting if I show up in one, and I doubt the valets will be pissing on my tires at the opera house. Only the Toyota fan boys will give me any grief on the trail.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7844896View attachment 7844897View attachment 7844898View attachment 7844899

View attachment 7844900View attachment 7844902View attachment 7844903View attachment 7844904View attachment 7844905View attachment 7844906

I agree the basic wagon is a sparce and prospective buyers should see what it can be. They look great tinted.

However I had the opposite experience with the safari windows. The long term demo I have has no safari window. I drove one with safari windows on a drive day and although they looked cool, I didnt like them. I would guess I would have them covered 99.99% of the time if I got them.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree the basic wagon is a sparce and prospective buyers should see what it can be. They look great tinted.

However I had the opposite experience with the safari windows. The long term demo I have has no safari window. I drove one with safari windows on a drive day and although they looked cool, I didnt like them. I would guess I would have them covered 99.99% of the time if I got them.
I had mine tinted with ceramic film and they are fantastic.
Yesterday in midday sun i tested them by looking straight up at the sun, with good quality sunglasses on, and no problems at all. Just a shiny white ball in the sky.
I touched the inside of the glass and it was fairly cool feeling.
32 degrees outside.
Without the tinting they would be a pain.
But who wouldn't get them tinted?????

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
Guess its one of things you either like or dont.

Dave - Did you get the factory window tint? Is it that ceramic / heat reflecting tinting or do you need to do that as well?

Back
Top Bottom