The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

OBD codes etc.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Maybe a thing for https://bimmercode.app/de/
when they list the IG
I had a look at the app,interesting as they list the Supra as being available, maybe the IG will work as well, be nice to be able to switch things like "auto stop/start" function off and a few other possible annoyances.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Why would you need that, you have a button on the dashboard for that:
View attachment 7804152
I have a Mercedes with stop start and I find it tedious to have to operate it all the time. With the IG its located opposite to where we right hand drivers sit so out of the way, having to reach across to turn it off. I also live in regional Australia and find it totally unnecessary for the style of driving we do.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
I have a Mercedes with stop start and I find it tedious to have to operate it all the time. With the IG its located opposite to where we right hand drivers sit so out of the way, having to reach across to turn it off. I also live in regional Australia and find it totally unnecessary for the style of driving we do.
Exactly the same for me in my Mercedes.
Sequence every time
  • Start the car
  • Handbrake off
  • gearbox in sport
  • Stop start off
  • Suspension into dynamic.
  • Select gear
Damned annoying

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I want to set it at off as a default
Which would negate one of the major fuel-efficiency systems that Ineos were required to have in order to get this vehicle over the line with current regulations. No way could they offer a default-off option. No other current car model I know of does, so just push the button and enjoy the last hurrah for fossil fuel powered motor transport.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:38 AM
Reaction score
Exactly the same for me in my Mercedes.
Sequence every time
  • Start the car
  • Handbrake off
  • gearbox in sport
  • Stop start off
  • Suspension into dynamic.
  • Select gear
bimmer is a great tool.
I have set the bmw's:
start stop off
start in adaptive mode,
seat belt reminder off
seat heating lower temperature
and some other parameters

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
Which would negate one of the major fuel-efficiency systems that Ineos were required to have in order to get this vehicle over the line with current regulations. No way could they offer a default-off option. No other current car model I know of does, so just push the button and enjoy the last hurrah for fossil fuel powered motor transport.
I did that for 7 years in my discovery 4, started it and immediately pushed the disabling button. Only to realise after 7 years as I checked it prior to selling, it wasn't working. I presume the auxiliary battery went dead sometime ago through none use!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
bimmer is a great tool.
I have set the bmw's:
start stop off
start in adaptive mode,
seat belt reminder off
seat heating lower temperature
and some other parameters
Yes later model Mercedes allows the same
I unfortunately have an older model
1st world problems

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I did that for 7 years in my discovery 4, started it and immediately pushed the disabling button. Only to realise after 7 years as I checked it prior to selling, it wasn't working. I presume the auxiliary battery went dead sometime ago through none use!
My battery went dead and the car wouldn't start
Roadside assistance found the battery in the boot and said it was in perfect condition.
That was the battery for the stop start assist.
Fine because I never use it.
The main battery was buried in th engine bay under the firewall trim.
it took a lot of work to get out and new one in

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:38 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone heard what ineos are doing with OBD codes? Will all codes be open and available i.e. freely listed.
Usually, there is a standard to be obeyed. Be it CAN or SQL or whatever.

But no company would sign a standard that restricts it and leaves no backdoor open for its own "ingenuities". Therefore, a "manufacturer-specific" signature is almost always built in, which allows a manufacturer to do anything that does not comply with the standard. For example, it comes in the form of a new token (CAN bus token, SQL keyword, to name just two) that says, "This is Ineos IP," and usually has an implicit or explicit length that tells bus participants (for example), "Here come 80 bits of Ineos." So they (the bus participants) can (and actually have to), if not made by Ineos, simply ignore the following 80 bits and continue listening to the bus after that. Within those 80 bits (or 640, 256, or 16, or whatever length the token defines or the documents specify) Ineos can do whatever they want. Undocumented, or, if they're nice, documented somewhere, for a modest ... cough 🥳 ... fee, of course.

And everyone is happy: the committee for the standard, because everyone has signed. The manufacturers because they have a playground where can do what they want, the association representing the standard because the manufacturers have to pay dearly for their vendor codes, and again the manufacturer because he can charge for access to the Ineos/Siemens/Bosch/IBM/Oracle ... -specific documentation. That's more or less how it is with any standard, at least as far as it regulates IT things.

In short, there will be a minimum standard, and also "secret" manufacturer codes - which will be reverse engineered after a few years. And then comes a new model series.

Here is an example where the AUTOSAR (c) general CAN structures are described. They are part of an open standard. Written for developers and other lunatics.

EDIT: wording

Attachments

• AUTOSAR_SWS_CANDriver-1.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • AUTOSAR_SWS_CANInterface-1.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom