The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Not Starting, engine turning over

camshaft6au

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone please help.
In Melbourne, 3 weeks and 1800klm from home, my new petrol fieldmaster now won't start but continues to turns over even when the hand is removed from the ignition key .
New years day, everything closed, going to see family, what with the aircon stuck on full heat and now this, it's trying my family's patience and raising deep concerns about our upcoming Simpson desert trek

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone please help.
In Melbourne, 3 weeks and 1800klm from home, my new petrol fieldmaster now won't start but continueslocation to turns over even when the hand is removed from the ignition key .
New years day, everything closed, going to see family, what with the aircon stuck on full heat and now this, it's trying my family's patience and raising deep concerns about our upcoming Simpson desert trek
It must be a fuel issue. It is possible your fuel pump is malfunctioning or you are out of gas. Listen closely and see if you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to the first position, but not to the start location. If you hear nothing it may be the fuel pump. Check the fuses as a first trouble shoot.

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
It must be a fuel issue. It is possible your fuel pump is malfunctioning or you are out of gas. Listen closely and see if you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to the first position, but not to the start location. If you hear nothing it may be the fuel pump. Check the fuses as a first trouble shoot.
It just be a fuel pump issue. With a new engine, that is turning over, it is only a fuel delivery issue.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone please help.
In Melbourne, 3 weeks and 1800klm from home, my new petrol fieldmaster now won't start but continues to turns over even when the hand is removed from the ignition key .
Did you bring the second key with you? If so, try that one. It may be a fault with the immobiliser not allowing the fuel pump to operate.
Get everyone out of the car, lock it as normal then unlock with the second key and try again.
That's all I can think of at present:unsure:

EDIT: Also try physically locking then unlocking vehicle with "original " key rather than using the remote. Then try and start the engine. (The key fob may need to " re-synchronise")

Last edited:

camshaft6au

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone please help.
Ok update, switched off and locked up, walked away from vehicle for approx 10mins, came back and it started perfectly.
Look I love this car but the uncertainties with the vehicle presently are raising deep concerns for us for the purpose it is intended for, ie reliable getting us to and from remote locations safely.
I sincerely hope these issues can be resolved for good by the dealership.

camshaft6au

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you bring the second key with you? If so, try that one. It may be a fault with the immobiliser not allowing the fuel pump to operate.
Get everyone out of the car, lock it as normal then unlock with the second key and try again.
That's all I can think of at present:unsure:
Thanks Denis, locked, walked away came back started, but apprehension registered unfortunately

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the “lock up for 10 minutes and walk away” process seems to fix a few issues.

I had one last week whereby I think it had something to do with either a TPMS warning - or the seatbelt warning ( as they were both going and I couldn’t reset the TPMS) The beeping warnings were very loud and impossible to ignore.
At one stage only the seat belt warning light was on the dash, but the warning noises started when I clicked my seatbelt in… go figure.

On locking the car for 10 or so minutes, I noticed that the head unit was still ON during this time but turned itself off eventually. After this things were fine and I continued on my trip.

Fortunately I had my beer fridge in the back of the car, so it made killing ten minutes an enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
Ok update, switched off and locked up, walked away from vehicle for approx 10mins, came back and it started perfectly.
Look I love this car but the uncertainties with the vehicle presently are raising deep concerns for us for the purpose it is intended for, ie reliable getting us to and from remote locations safely.
I sincerely hope these issues can be resolved for good by the dealership.
Thanks for sharing. Very concerning.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone please help.
Hi Jock. Remind me please, do you have the aux battery option?

I suspect low battery voltage may be involved here. There has been many reports of random issues that seemed to go away after a battery charge or replacement. Walking away for 10 mins may have allowed the service battery to recover from the first start attempt and, if the aux battery option is installed, the Smartpass pulse charging voltage threshold may have been met so the aux battery topped up the service battery before you came back to it. 2nd start attempt was fine.

Hard to explain what was happening with the self-cranking thing (sounds like a 13yo boy on a discovery mission). I relate the Grenadier key positions to a standard start button: 1st position = 1st press = power ON. 2nd position (crank) = 2nd press = start. Low battery voltage and below-par software may have kept the start circuit latched when the engine failed to start.

I don't know why Ineos bothered with an old-school ignition when the ECU is primarily looking for two signals from a button. It's a retro adaptation they didn't need to implement.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
I don't know why Ineos bothered with an old-school ignition when the ECU is primarily looking for two signals from a button. It's a retro adaptation they didn't need to implement.
THIS!

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Regardless of the type of start signal - either switching a relay/solenoid or pinging the ecu - a physical key doesn't require a battery to operate vs. a fob which does. It's just one less gizmo to fail after rough treatment. Out on the water, deep in the woods, or down on the farm - a key will continue to function for decades. Plus they're cheap to duplicate or replace. I think it fits with the original ethos.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Regardless of the type of start signal - either switching a relay/solenoid or pinging the ecu - a physical key doesn't require a battery to operate vs. a fob which does. It's just one less gizmo to fail after rough treatment. Out on the water, deep in the woods, or down on the farm - a key will continue to function for decades. Plus they're cheap to duplicate or replace. I think it fits with the original ethos.
That's a great point, thank you. In that respect I would have preferred they finished the job and moved the locking and panic buttons onto a separate fob so the key can be mistreated with no impact on other functions.

Your point made me go back and review the threads about key battery empty and self-locking with the keys inside. Was it ultimately clear that the key has no interaction with the immobilizer or other vehicle functions? At least one person did a test with the battery removed and there didn't seem to be any effect, but there was strong agreement that carrying a spare CR2032 battery is worthwhile. If the key gets damaged and is electrically disabled, can we still unlock and operate the vehicle? Open question.

Last edited:

Barni Rubble

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,
i had a similar Problem today .As it is Winter in Germany i washed away some Salt from underneath the car with a pressure cleaner.
(except the engine area )
Thereafter the Engine didn't start...
I tried it seven or eight times ,nothing happened !
So i decided to wait 10 Minutes before trying it one last Time and then call for Help,fortunately the Engine did start !
I don't know what Problem it was ,my first Guess was Water in some Kind of proximity Switch maybe?!

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,
i had a similar Problem today .As it is Winter in Germany i washed away some Salt from underneath the car with a pressure cleaner.
(except the engine area )
Thereafter the Engine didn't start...
I tried it seven or eight times ,nothing happened !
So i decided to wait 10 Minutes before trying it one last Time and then call for Help,fortunately the Engine did start !
I don't know what Problem it was ,my first Guess was Water in some Kind of proximity Switch maybe?!
Hi Barni

No idea exactly what happened there but It sounds like you managed to blast salty water into somewhere that it shouldn't be. Salt water is an excellent conductor. The underbody plugs and harnesses are environmentally sealed but are no match for a pressure cleaner.

Perhaps you need something less aggressive to remove the road salt. Ocean beach driving is popular in Australia and many owners use a flushing rig like this example to wash out the beach sand and salt using tap pressure and detergent. Less risk of pushing sand further into areas versus use of a high pressure cleaner. A low cost but less effective solution is to park your vehicle over a garden sprinkler for 10 -15 mins and let the water spray under the vehicle. Might be tricky in a German winter though!

Regards to Betty please!

Barni Rubble

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Hi Clark,

good Idea !Next time i will try less Pressure...

Regards to Betty

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
That's a great point, thank you. In that respect I would have preferred they finished the job and moved the locking and panic buttons onto a separate fob so the key can be mistreated with no impact on other functions.

Perfect!

Your point made me go back and review the threads about key battery empty and self-locking with the keys inside. Was it ultimately clear that the key has no interaction with the immobilizer or other vehicle functions? At least one person did a test with the battery removed and there didn't seem to be any effect, but there was strong agreement that carrying a spare CR2032 battery is worthwhile. If the key gets damaged and is electrically disabled, can we still unlock and operate the vehicle? Open question.

And if the physical key and immobilizer are separate, why isn't there a keyed entry on the front passenger door as well? This seems like an oversight for a vehicle that may have multiple occupants and be a long way from home.

Back
Top Bottom