The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

new mfg concern

dnew2

Tire Kicker
Local time
4:56 PM
Reaction score
So I love this truck, actually the whole concept of the truck is amazing.
My concern is buying a new manufacturers first vehicle.

what are peoples thoughts on the risk regarding longevity?

I know its not the same situation but my wife always brings up the Sterling 825SL we had in the 80's and that was not a good experience.

I have a reservation and am looking forward to see how it goes before it comes to the US and hope everything ends up the way I hope.

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My $0.02

Ineos might be a new name, but this is hardly a new manufacturer.  Magna Styer, a long time industry benchmark did the design, and is setting up the factory.  The factory was recently bought from Mercedes and is still making vehicles for Mercedes under contract, and I believe Steyr is running the factory?  Also, all the parts are from top-tier European suppliers - BMW, ZF, Brembo, Recaro, etc.

I had this talk with my father.  This is about the lowest risk "new manufacturer" scenario you could dream up.  And it seems that Sir Jim has a wee bit of an ego and has invested substantial treasure and personal equity into this effort, and I doubt he'll let it fail.

I'm not worried.

But opinions are like a-holes.  Everyone has one, and they all stink.  LOL.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:56 PM
Reaction score
My 2 cents. 
I am not worried about it being a new maker as long as 

1. Quality parts with good aftermarket support are used. The BMW engine, the ZF transmission as known quantities. The suspension is from Eibach and OME which is both modular and known good operators. The Carrero axles and the transfer case are bespoke and so the ECU and electronics. That is my only concern. Still they seem to be quality components. But that segues into my next point. 2. While Ineos has made it clear that they will support self servicing with excellent manuals and parts support, they haven’t said much about self service electronics diagnostics. Will I be able to buy an engine computer from Ineos to plug into the OBD2 port and diagnose any issues? Will be able to clear codes and not worry about sending the entire car in limp mode I.e. is the design a serialized or exception handling modular design? We won’t know till we get it in our hands

While not an apples to apples comparison think about the Singer 911. It’s so customized with specialized and best in class parts that it’s no longer a bog standard 964 but it’s made such that the quality of parts is very good and it’s modular so you can swap things out. Obviously it’s not the best analogy (The Singer is highly bespoke cost no bar approach and the Grenadier is as mass market as possible manifestation of one man’s vision) but similar in vein

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
What do people think about the risk of being unable to obtain parts into the future?

Ineos has heavily marketed that the Grenadier is a "for life" vehicle - that is - it's built to last.....a long long time.

Ineos has also said that they need to sell approximately 25,000 of these puppies a year to be viable - I assume that means turn a profit.

What if they only sell 15,000 a year for the first 3 years and Jim decides to pull the pin on the whole show.

In 7 years I have a crash and need to but a lot of significant parts - who from?

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Mark Evans  grenadierboy userid=8954799 postid=1332516775]What do people think about the risk of being unable to obtain parts into the future?

Ineos has heavily marketed that the Grenadier is a "for life" vehicle - that is - it's built to last.....a long long time.

Ineos has also said that they need to sell approximately 25,000 of these puppies a year to be viable - I assume that means turn a profit.

What if they only sell 15,000 a year for the first 3 years and Jim decides to pull the pin on the whole show.

In 7 years I have a crash and need to but a lot of significant parts - who from?[/QUOTE]

it’s a risk but I don’t think this will fail. I feel there is strong demand for these types of vehicles. It’s amazing how much people are paying for old defenders. In there last year of production the standard versions were going for about 55k AUD.. these same vehicles are going for 70-80k ! the G300 professionals are going for 140k! You could buy one a few years ago for 95k. The 70series Toyotas somehow maintain their resale values. I think the ineos is much better than all those other vehicles . so I think there will be a strong demand. When they introduce the crew cab demand will further increase. Like him or loath him , Radcliffe knows how to run a successful business. He also has huge marketing avenues with all the sporting endeavours he sponsors. it’s still a risk but you could make much worse decisions!  

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
This is a risk with any manufacturer given nature of global supply chains. I've seen IG material which states that provided you use parts from the IG supply channel, they'll warrant routine DIY servicing. further, they're promising full transparency with e-service manuals, some of which may ultimately be included as firmware on the 12.3" display (according to one of the Ineos execs on a drive day back in Feb in Australia).  Given my recent negative experience with Hyundai Australia in attempting to obtain a circuit diagram to fit a light bar to my 2020 Santa Fe diesel... (talk about getting blood out of a stone!?) the refreshing approach by Ineos is most welcome!!!

SteveGren

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Mark Evans  grenadierboy userid=8954799 postid=1332516775]What do people think about the risk of being unable to obtain parts into the future?

In 7 years I have a crash and need to but a lot of significant parts - who from?[/QUOTE]

It's a concern..but I think it depends on what would cause the cancellation.

It's cancelled because it  s garbage, or cancelled because of a lack of demand/not profitable?

If we end up with a limited run and its not because the vehicle failed to deliver, then I'm not concerned at all.  Ten years from now I feel like they would end up as collectibles.

If it turns out to be garbage...well fingers crossed, I'm optimistic it won't..but nothings certain.

Back
Top Bottom