The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New Defender vs Ineos Grenadier

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
Three dots appear at the bottom of the post. Click the triangle at the end.

Attachments

• IMG_2437.png
    IMG_2437.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 45
Local time
Reaction score
No dots sadly

Attachments

• IMG_0774.png
    IMG_0774.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 41
Local time
Reaction score
Yes it's what l see when l look at my posts. lt's the only forum where l have no ability to edit my postings.

EDIT the three dots appeared for the first time on this post!!

Going back to the Grenadier. My nearest dealer is an hour away, not the end of the world so l am going to contact them to arrange a test drive.

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like to read this sort of side-by-side comparison, from an owner of both, so thanks for posting. The frank luke-warmness toward the IG is intriguing.

Genuine question - why did you buy the IG? You sound very happy with the Defender and write as if the car was handed to you for critique, as opposed to chosen by you. Did you test-drive the IG prior to purchase? Do you plan to keep both?

Cheers, S
Hi Sam, I did test drive it off road, but nothing too arduous, then drove one on the road before purchase. Still need to drive it more as I've been in Scotland this past week, but my wife has been driving it and she really likes it, though she's worried about parking it in tight spaces - me too. Had the Defender in some tough off road places on the fishing trip and it tackled everything. In the seven days I've been away I've seen another 10 Grenadiers advertised on Autotrader. Anyone who hasn't ordered and is thinking of getting one from the trade or private, should hang fire. I don't think the inflated prices on Autotrader are sustainable. I knew about the Grenadier when it was in the planning stage and wanted one from the off but when the order-to-delivery time was looking to be a long one, I went down to the LandRover dealer and took out a Defender 110 SE. To be honest, I didn't think much of them to look at at first. But the drive was very impressive so I put in an order and had to wait nine-months for that. In a way, both cars are just what I want. I have white-haired dogs that mess up carpets so I didn't want carpets. Funnily enough it's the Grenadier I'm being precious about, but that won't last. Just drove 500 miles back from Scotland yesterday in the Defender and still felt pretty fresh at the end of it, such a comfortable car. I can't see me selling it, but I may well part with the Grenadier in time, though not if my wife is happy with it, and she is so far, much to my surprise. The real downside is that in six months I've spent upwards of £130,000 on cars, soaking up almost my entire cash, but you can't take it with you and it's a lot less boring than money sitting in a bank account.

Local time
Reaction score
You lucky sod, having both!!

lt will be interesting to read your comparisons between the two as you drive the Grenadier

l have a new Defender 90 HT and am looking to possibly change it for a Grenadier Commercial

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
No point comparing the Grenadier to the New Defender.
On the Australian website you can configure 30 different variants of the New Defender but you can't get a price or delivery time.
There are zero new defenders for sale on carsales.com.au or second hand ones.
This disclaimer basically says "go ahead and order one, let the price be a surprise on the day"
Toyota adds the disclaimer that the price and the specification will change from what you ordered.
The Landcruiser GR sport is probably the closest thing to a Grenadier spec wise and they start at $152K
But again change in price and spec y the time you get it.
Nissan Patrol is a good price but it is a very old design, with a new model on the way at a much higher price.
Jeep on the other hand have plenty of stock and are offering a $6,000 discount

1685308583737.png

1685307853868.png1685307924861.png1685308058666.png1685308917791.png
1685309032328.png1685309425841.png1685309481115.png

Local time
Reaction score
A lot of people are comparing the Grenadier to the new Defender

They are both alternatives to do the same job, the Grenadier a traditional solution and the new Defender the luxury option.

New Defender is bought largely by people who want the sentiment/connection to adventure but are unlikely to venture further than a rural B road.
Although there are exceptions of course.

Grenadier is the other way round, owners are likely to use the vehicle for what it's designed to do.

l would say that the Jeep Wrangler is more of an alternative to a Grenadier, although nobody else seem to think so.

Plenty of new Defenders for sale in the U.K. second hand. Prices have dropped from the highs of last year, replaced by people trying to flip their new Grenadier for a big profit.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score

They are both alternatives to do the same job, the Grenadier a traditional solution and the new Defender the luxury option.

New Defender is bought largely by people who want the sentiment/connection to adventure but are unlikely to venture further than a rural B road.

Grenadier is the other way round, owners are likely to use the vehicle for what it's designed to do.

l would say that the Jeep Wrangler is more of an alternative to a Grenadier, although nobody else seem to think so.

Plenty of new Defenders for sale in the U.K. second hand. Prices have dropped from the highs of last year, replaced by people trying to flip their new Grenadier for a big profit.
In my opinion - there are a few things that can be compared between Wrangler and Grenadier but many no.
One of the most important topics for me is towing capability. The Wrangler is just on one metric ton compared to 3.5 on Grenadier. There are a couple of topics more. - Also no Diesel on the Wrangler anymore. The Wrangler is a rock cat optimized for certain terrain and demands. But not a long distance overlander. Not in its currently available configurations.
Technically only Toyota LC and (past) Mercedes G are comparable vehicles. Mercedes G current and New Defender are rather Mall Crawlers alike.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The ND is for people that do not recognise that tyre pressure, and suspension articulation are your biggest attributes when off-road.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
This video here: https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...-good-video-sorry-if-already-posted.12411568/ does a nice job of showing the size difference.

The Grenadier seems noticeably larger than than the new Defender but their dimensions (except height) are about the same. This really shows the volume difference with the blockier shape and the added height. I have the new Defender but will be trading it for the Grenadier.

Untitled 7 2.jpgUntitled.jpgUntitled 6.jpgUntitled 3.jpg

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Well, l am willing to bet your new Grenadiers will still be sat on the drive loved and doing good service in 20 years time.

As for the new Defender (and don't forget own one) l think most will have been scrapped, or will be languishing on someone's drive having been bought for £1,000 with various insurmountable issues.
or the most likely 3rd option, will have been nicked and chopped (I am one of 8 in our street (admittedly it a long street). Count is 5 in last 9 months as of last night. Best thing that happened to me IMHO given the bag of spanners we purchased in 2017.

Reactions: Max

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

The Wrangler is an alternative to the Grenadier
The same way a Hyundai is an alternative to a Mercedes.
They will both do the same job just a different experience

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:40 PM
Reaction score
The problem is the Wrangler unsuitability for long range use (payload, fuel capacity, loadspace, petrol only).

Yes, but credit to the platform (or should I say, the culture that surrounds it) for having an incredibly robust aftermarket (probably the best in the world) that can address some of those limitations. Still not ideal, but its far easier to modify a Wrangler for remote travel than it would be many other 4x4s on the market because of the amount of bolt-on options. The aforementioned "good luck getting a bull bar for the New Defender" -- the problem with the Wrangler is there are too many to choose from!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This thread would have been better names as Grenadier V Jeep. Both intended to be modified and kept for long periods of time. The new Defender on the other hand, following three years of school runs is likely traded in for something new.

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom