The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NC Grenadier Driving Experience

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Had a great time at the Grenadier Driving Experience in North Carolina today. I don’t think I have ever driven an unmodified vehicle before that is as solid and capable as the Grenadier. It climbed steep hills at low speed with tremendous grip and drove through washed out gullies and deep ruts without tossing the occupants around. The suspension is a work of art and must be experienced to understand how good it is. I am 6 foot 4 inches tall and the leg room, Recaro seats and wide door frame on which to rest your arm while driving were perfect. No on road driving was allowed because all vehicles were prototypes. Grenadier reps confirmed US pricing will be announced next month (May). I have been a reservation holder since 2021 and today’s event confirmed the Grenadier will be worth the wait.
473734F9-683F-4A1E-BD50-C5082615D49F.jpeg52FF90BD-F1A5-4A78-8BC1-282804716066.jpeg94EC5CFF-A4BA-4500-A7E3-49427A1EADC0.jpeg05CB7A0E-6D03-43CC-BE0D-4B5AD814DE12.jpeg

Last edited:

bigjuicyhog

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I attended the NC event this morning. Focusing on the colors, I posted some pictures and my thoughts in this thread:
A few other random thoughts: (i) I generally agree with everything said above. (ii) The seats were really comfortable - better than my wife's XC90 (big Volvo SUV), which is not uncomfortable. (iii) From a driving perspective, the car felt solid but didn't drive as though it were heavy (though it is). (iv) It also appeared, felt, and drove as though it were significantly overly capable/overly engineered for what I imagine will be the use of a majority of owners - harkening back to the idea of driving around town in an old defender. (v) I'm 5'8" and not big boned and the car fit me comfortably. But, I'm surprised to hear larger folks say they feel comfortable in the driver's seat. I thought the driver's footwell was somewhat small - comfortable for me but questionable for larger folks. (vi) The door ledge was a comfortable height to use as an arm rest. This is a minor but bizarrely important point for me - borderline deal breaker. I realize this makes me an idiot. (vii) As others have indicated, it sounds like reservation holders in the US will get a fluff email at the beginning of May and then the price and ordering logistics in mid-May.

Local time
Reaction score
The drivers seat slid back quite a ways and provided plenty of leg room. My instructor said a 6 foot 8 inch tall person drove with him recently and specifically mentioned how much leg room was available.

Local time
Reaction score
I’m heading over there tomorrow and have a spot booked for late afternoon. Looking forward to getting behind the wheel.

We were hoping to camp and then wheel Saturday in Uwharrie, but everything is reserved in Arrowhead and Badin Lake. Anyone have a line on a camp spot tmr night (Friday) or have room for one more? I’ll pay for the entire site for the night😉. We’re sleeping in our Jeep, so don’t need much space.

T

Local time
Reaction score
Did anyone get a sense for how well the rear ac worked? I concerned about kids riding back there during humid summer weather.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
Did anyone get a sense for how well the rear ac worked? I concerned about kids riding back there during humid summer weather.
I think kids need to learn how to suffer. When we were kids, did we have rear ac controls. No I sat in back of a two door Honda Accord hatchback. Between my mom ripping cigarettes and not using the A/C, I learned that oxygen was a precious commodity. When I got my recent car, they asked if I wanted to upgrade the back seats with heated seats. I looked at the guy and laughed. Hell no, they need to know what cold leather feels like in morning. It will wake them up.

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:17 PM
Reaction score
Now that is one thing I never thought of. And at 72 it wouldn't cross my mind again

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:17 AM
Reaction score
From memory there are only two vents in the back of the centre console, and nothing from the side of the roof like most modern vehicles.

So no, it won’t be as fantastic but it’s not a significant issue for me at my stage (adult kids have fled the roost). That said it was pretty hot on my first drive day (about 93F and high humidity- Queensland Australia summer) and riding in the back a second time when a mate drove it I was pretty comfortable.

The thing with the IG is that compared to modern SUV’s that most people would have as an alternative purchase, say for me the Patrol or 300Series, there are lots of compromises to be made in terms of creature comforts. And let’s be serious for a minute, the places where you could take a standard IG that you couldn’t get to in the other two wouldn’t be taken by 98% of IG buyers. That might upset the fanboys but I reckon it’s fact. But on balance, I’m happy to move from Toyota for the first time in 25 years. One word comes to mind: soul.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think kids need to learn how to suffer. When we were kids, did we have rear ac controls. No I sat in back of a two door Honda Accord hatchback. Between my mom ripping cigarettes and not using the A/C, I learned that oxygen was a precious commodity. When I got my recent car, they asked if I wanted to upgrade the back seats with heated seats. I looked at the guy and laughed. Hell no, they need to know what cold leather feels like in morning. It will wake them up.

View: https://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k

Local time
Reaction score
Counterpoint - your kid throwing up in the backseat because it's too warm and they get car sick ruins whatever activity your trying to do. ;-)

I don't expect it will be as good as a true 3 zone system, but there's systems that are better than others.

Norville

Reservation Holder
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
Reminds me of my first real job in construction where I'd share a ride with my dad to the job site. We'd leave at 4:00 AM and he'd keep the windows rolled down on the highway to keep me cold and from falling asleep on the way in - "to toughen me up".

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Counterpoint - your kid throwing up in the backseat because it's too warm and they get car sick ruins whatever activity your trying to do. ;-)

I don't expect it will be as good as a true 3 zone system, but there's systems that are better than others.
I'm not the one to comment on AC living in the UK climate where it is really only needed to demist the windows.
But surely in the small confined volume of the vehicle the front vents should be able to maintain a reduced temperature through out the vehicle especially if assisted by any rear vents ( if there are any since I don't remember seeing any). But as I say in the UK it doesn't start with a high outside ambient temperature

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
You guys have never been to Texas in August. One reason I'm getting the white roof. On my M5 with the carbon roof, the heat really soaks in, even with the a/c full blast.

Back
Top Bottom