The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

My New Business Idea (and destination recommendations please.)

Paul Cooper

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Another question, how was the Wild Atlantic Way, thats another route I fancy doing. Went to Dingle many years ago and always wanted to go back.
You spotted where we were.
WAW is just fantastic and that pic is on Inch beach.
Did it in 2 trips as there are just some superb beaches to wild camp on.
Did Rosslare to Galway (clockwise) on the first trip and then Galway to Donegal / Dungloe on a seperate trip.
Highly recommend.

Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
So for a while now I have been planning to build an overland camper trailer. My plan is to build one that is a high quality that can be reproduced en mass and supplied to customers in kit form. The trailer chassis would be supplied fully built with all the other parts stacked on top for delivery / collection. I figured that the average overlander is the type of person who would be up for a bit of DIY and I am designing it in such a way that it will all be CNC machined ready to fit together so minimal tools and experience required by the owner. (that's the plan anyway)

I am hoping to build a prototype over the next few months once my day job calms down a bit, and once built take it on a test run overloading in Europe with the family. I'd also want to take some promotional photos and videos at the same time. So i'm looking for destination suggestions.. I like the look of Croatia but I am open to other suggestions. My likes would be- Hot - good access to lakes and beaches - good scenery - and interesting things to do and see. If we do head down towards the Balkans any must see places along the way? I'd love to hear your suggestions as we have a pretty good representation on the forum from the EU, and presumably some overlanders...
That sounds like an amazing project you have planned! As for destination suggestions, Croatia does offer a beautiful combination of hot weather, lakes, beaches, and stunning scenery

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
That sounds like an amazing project you have planned! As for destination suggestions, Croatia does offer a beautiful combination of hot weather, lakes, beaches, and stunning scenery
Thanks, its definitely on my list of places to visit.
As far as the project goes its still on paper, or ipad as I am slowly teaching myself CAD design. I have managed to get the CAD file for the axle unit that I am using and have a chassis and a rough body design worked out. Hoping to have a prototype built before Christmas.

On that note. In terms of design I have the following quandary:
As this will be sold as a kit I want to keep it as simple as possible in terms of build. This means that I want to avoid the wheel arches being set into the pod / sleeping space. Building the pod around the wheel arches will complicate the build considerably It would also require the sleeping platform to be raised above the wheel arches which will in turn increase the overall height and therefore off road stability. This means that as the pod gets wider the wheel track gets wider too. Initially I wanted to match the wheel track of the grenadier but that would limit the sleeping area width to 4‘ , 1.2m, which is a pretty narrow bed for two!
The alternative is to go for a 1.4 or 1.5m bed width which will be much more comfortable but will mean that the trailer wheels are on a wider track than the tow vehicle. At least for European 4x4’s.

So to assist my research what would you prefer? Getting closer to your wife / partner or a wider wheel track?
I’d appreciate any input from you overlanders out there.

Back
Top Bottom