The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

My New Business Idea (and destination recommendations please.)

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
So for a while now I have been planning to build an overland camper trailer. My plan is to build one that is a high quality that can be reproduced en mass and supplied to customers in kit form. The trailer chassis would be supplied fully built with all the other parts stacked on top for delivery / collection. I figured that the average overlander is the type of person who would be up for a bit of DIY and I am designing it in such a way that it will all be CNC machined ready to fit together so minimal tools and experience required by the owner. (that's the plan anyway)

I am hoping to build a prototype over the next few months once my day job calms down a bit, and once built take it on a test run overloading in Europe with the family. I'd also want to take some promotional photos and videos at the same time. So i'm looking for destination suggestions.. I like the look of Croatia but I am open to other suggestions. My likes would be- Hot - good access to lakes and beaches - good scenery - and interesting things to do and see. If we do head down towards the Balkans any must see places along the way? I'd love to hear your suggestions as we have a pretty good representation on the forum from the EU, and presumably some overlanders...

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
So for a while now I have been planning to build an overland camper trailer. My plan is to build one that is a high quality that can be reproduced en mass and supplied to customers in kit form. The trailer chassis would be supplied fully built with all the other parts stacked on top for delivery / collection. I figured that the average overlander is the type of person who would be up for a bit of DIY and I am designing it in such a way that it will all be CNC machined ready to fit together so minimal tools and experience required by the owner. (that's the plan anyway)

I am hoping to build a prototype over the next few months once my day job calms down a bit, and once built take it on a test run overloading in Europe with the family. I'd also want to take some promotional photos and videos at the same time. So i'm looking for destination suggestions.. I like the look of Croatia but I am open to other suggestions. My likes would be- Hot - good access to lakes and beaches - good scenery - and interesting things to do and see. If we do head down towards the Balkans any must see places along the way? I'd love to hear your suggestions as we have a pretty good representation on the forum from the EU, and presumably some overlanders...
This is in the summer time, I'm presuming...?

Couple of ideas if east/Balkans is the preferred direction:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They look like good places to check out, in Europe I've been to Portugal, Italy, France, Austria, Germany and Greece, I like the look of the Balkans, seems a little more unspoiled and somehow undiscovered.

If you ever come to Scotland and want recommendations let me know..

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They look like good places to check out, in Europe I've been to Portugal, Italy, France, Austria, Germany and Greece, I like the look of the Balkans, seems a little more unspoiled and somehow undiscovered.

If you ever come to Scotland and want recommendations let me know..
Thank you, I’m keen to return to Scotland. We had a great trip through a snowbound Glencoe Valley on some sort of pilgrimage to the ancestral Clan Gregor lands. Would love to get further north and see more on foot.

View attachment 977A38B3-0450-45C7-857C-85F4CE0F0EEB.jpeg

The other rather overlooked area that we really enjoyed is the Transcaucasus, particularly Georgia.

The Muslim expansion basically swept around Georgia leaving a pocket that retains distinct ‘Roman’ traces. Architecture, landscape, people and cuisine are superb… and it’s the area in which winemaking emerged.

To get there from your neck of the woods (if avoiding Ukraine and Chechnya) involves crossing Turkey… which itself is super interesting, as you can either follow the Black Sea coast or go the long way round and up through Northern Mesopotamia. Not many folks seem to make it to the ethnic Armenian and Kurdish parts of Turkey but they’re definitely worth a visit.

Last edited:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you, I’m keen to return to Scotland. We had a great trip through a snowbound Glencoe Valley on some sort of pilgrimage to the ancestral Clan Gregor lands. Would love to get further north and see more on foot.

View attachment 7804007

The other rather overlooked area that we really enjoyed is the Transcaucasus, particularly Georgia.

The Muslim expansion basically swept around Georgia leaving a pocket that retains distinct ‘Roman’ traces. Architecture, landscape, people and cuisine are superb… and it’s the area in which winemaking emerged.

To get there from your neck of the woods (if avoiding Ukraine and Chechnya) involves crossing Turkey… which itself is super interesting, as you can either follow the Black Sea coast or go the long way round and up through Northern Mesopotamia. Not many folks seem to make it to the ethnic Armenian and Kurdish parts of Turkey but they’re definitely worth a visit.
I've watched a few overloading videos from Turkey and it looks great, I'd like to see Gobekli Tepe too.

Round here in the Scottish Borders and North Northumberland is worth a look too. Too many people drive right past on the way to the highlands....

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've watched a few overloading videos from Turkey and it looks great, I'd like to see Gobekli Tepe too.

Round here in the Scottish Borders and North Northumberland is worth a look too. Too many people drive right past on the way to the highlands....
Ah yes, we tried fo get to Lindisfarne but I spannered the tide timings. Will definitely be back.
Happy planning!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
Germany:

Elbsandsteingebirge
Donautal
Allgäu

Nice spots website (needs deepl.com to translate, I guess).

To find a location for photographs is another thing, of course - but at least the sceneries are beautiful. No wilderness, however. For this you'll find better places in e.g. France, Spain and the eastern countries as mentioned before. The Pyrenees are 'wild', and to my knowledge, the Sierra Nevade in Spain as well. The Portuguese coast is another spectacular region. Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily as well, but Corsica and Sardinia are partially hard to drive with a trailer.

Last edited:

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Tom D

We bought our Stockman Pod Trailer back to the UK with us when we returned from living in Oz as I'd never seen anything remotely like it in the UK (the Halfrauds shoebox on pram wheels being the norm). It's built to survive Armageddon and has a galvanised chassis to boot, it was a great investment. In particular, the plastic tub is genius as it's lightweight, waterproof, tougher than old boots and won't rust.

If you're planning to develop something similar in the UK then I'd say it's long overdue (y)

1677151609252.png

https://podtrailer.com.au/pod-trailers/

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I am aiming for something more along the lined of the pod trailer. Sleeping for two inside and the option for a RTT on top. I am going galvanised chassis coil springs and dampers, and a good solid design. In order to make the sides out of composite sheet material it will be a lot more boxy than that Pod Trailer. Which I must admit looks very cool! I suspect the UK market for these things must be fairly small as there are only a handful of manufacturers, I'm aiming to build something tough with decent off road abilities. Many of the ones for sale here just have torsion axles which will be a bit bouncy I reckon.
I would also like to have a few of them available for hire, so people could drive up, and take one away for a week or two, or longer if they wanted to do a more serious expedition.

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I am aiming for something more along the lined of the pod trailer. Sleeping for two inside and the option for a RTT on top. I am going galvanised chassis coil springs and dampers, and a good solid design. In order to make the sides out of composite sheet material it will be a lot more boxy than that Pod Trailer. Which I must admit looks very cool! I suspect the UK market for these things must be fairly small as there are only a handful of manufacturers, I'm aiming to build something tough with decent off road abilities. Many of the ones for sale here just have torsion axles which will be a bit bouncy I reckon.
I would also like to have a few of them available for hire, so people could drive up, and take one away for a week or two, or longer if they wanted to do a more serious expedition.
Did all the pod v expedition and went for the exhibition in the end with a IKamper on the top.
Been away a lot with it and looking forward to not struggling at altitude as i do with the defender.
Photo on Inch Beach on the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland.jpg

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
@Paul Cooper Nice trailer! Do you havesome more details or a link to the manufacturer?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did all the pod v expedition and went for the exhibition in the end with a IKamper on the top.
Been away a lot with it and looking forward to not struggling at altitude as i do with the defender.
View attachment 7804052
That looks like a nice setup. I have 3 kids and a wife who likes her creature comforts so I think for me the Pod type trailer will be the way to go. The kids can rough it in the RTT.
What does that trailer weigh out of interest?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another question, how was the Wild Atlantic Way, thats another route I fancy doing. Went to Dingle many years ago and always wanted to go back.

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Paul Cooper Nice trailer! Do you havesome more details or a link to the manufacturer?
Its actually a SA trailer made by Metalian (Maxi)
It is probably one of the first exported to the UK a long time ago and i picked it up 2nd hand before stripping and refitting out.
There is only 1 UK supplier but if you are in Germany i believe there is an importer in Switzerland.
UK supplier and info - https://tuff-trek.com/metalian-offroad-trailers-uk/
Switzerland link - https://www.metalian.ch/
Had some seriously great times with it.

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That looks like a nice setup. I have 3 kids and a wife who likes her creature comforts so I think for me the Pod type trailer will be the way to go. The kids can rough it in the RTT.
What does that trailer weigh out of interest?
It weighs about 750kg as bare trailer but add on the bits i have, including 130 litres of water it comes in at probably 1.1 to 1.2T
The IKamper on the top has a sleeping area of 2m x 2m so extremely large for slleping just 2.
It also has an easy zip on awning room for additional sleeping which take 10 mins in total to set up everything.

Back
Top Bottom