The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

(Moto-) Biker‘s here?

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
On the monkey? 😳

Just sold the DR650 as I seldom rode it. Thought it would be “good for everything” bike, but it was a “not quite good at anything bike”. I favor the Ural.
On a monkey! You can see his adventures here. https://instagram.com/fwd.adventures?igshid=YjNmNGQ3MDY=

iv heard only good things about the DR650, barely see them on the road though, could be as you stated. The ural is special.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
I favor the Ural.
Be aware that the use / maintenance ratio is worse for a Ural than for a helicopter: one hour of use - two hours of repair.

Will I like it? - Yep!

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to build a rack to carry a BMW S1000xr. Does anyone know if there are any fixing points apart from the tow bar bracket point to spread the load?
Tow bar is 350kg bike is around 230 kg.
Issue is probably the bending moment of just using the toe hitch bracket - not comfortable just using it.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Richard

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am looking to build a rack to carry a BMW S1000xr. Does anyone know if there are any fixing points apart from the tow bar bracket point to spread the load?
Tow bar is 350kg bike is around 230 kg.
Issue is probably the bending moment of just using the toe hitch bracket - not comfortable just using it.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Richard
Have you not considered just using a motorbike trailer? Might give a better weight distribution/stabilisation as "built for purpose" sorry pun intended.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Eric,
I have but I’m tight and don’t want to pay the extra on the Isle of Man ferry in August 😳
I'd have thought putting the BMW on a tow bar rack would have just taken the overall length of the vehicle past the 5M length. I don't know what the IOM ferry size price limit is, but certainly on cross channel ferries if you go over 5M it is extra. I suspect not as much £s as a trailer. And there again I've had a 2 x pedal bikes rack on my Discovery a lot of times on the cross channel ferry and they have turned a blind eye to the length requirement. I suspect it is trailers and caravans that take up the room and get penalised.

Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
I'd have thought putting the BMW on a tow bar rack would have just taken the overall length of the vehicle past the 5M length. I don't know what the IOM ferry size price limit is, but certainly on cross channel ferries if you go over 5M it is extra. I suspect not as much £s as a trailer. And there again I've had a 2 x pedal bikes rack on my Discovery a lot of times on the cross channel ferry and they have turned a blind eye to the length requirement. I suspect it is trailers and caravans that take up the room and get penalised.
Sounds like a pick-up rather than a wagon would be ideal.

Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
You still have the Paul Smart? Here’s mine :)View attachment 7806772
Hello sir… No .. 2 Back surgeries later and I had to let go of the sport bike / cafe racer laid out riding position unfortunately…. I tried to keep the PS but it just sitting there not getting ridden except for short stints around the house every now and than just didn’t seem right…. Funny enough it went to California and is a well loved and ridden bike again which makes me happy…. Love your collection for sure…

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Late to this thread, but I'm a big fan of travel on 2 wheels. My first and only love is my 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC who I have named Hobbes. I've been from border of Mexico to the Arctic and lots of points in between on this machine and I just love it. Probably too much, since I can't even wait for snow to melt.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

(above was just a few months ago)

Come to think of it, getting caught in the snow on a motorbike seems to happen to me a lot. Maybe the curse of being a Canadian adventure rider?

(Above was in 2017; the day before was 30 above and sunny. Woke up that morning to rain on the tent, and decided to be lazy and sleep in. Only it wasn't rain, but we didn't realize until we looked out. 2" of snow and accumulating, over a muddy dirt road, through switchbacks in the Alberta rockies -- not an experience I wish to recreate!)

But we've also had some grand adventures together:

DSC_0006.jpeg

(Above - Pilot Butte in Bend, OR)

2DSC_0748.jpeg

(Above - Prudhoe Bay, AK)

And I'm happy to say that I'm raising the next generation with a proper appreciation of care and maintenance of my precious friend Hobbes, may the adventures ever continue.

IMG_2025.jpeg

I even sometimes make videos of the adventures:

(Above - The Dice Roll Challenge from 2019 - two weeks with no plans, just some dice that determined our daily compass direction)

(Above - Oregon, 2017)

I have a few more adventure vids, they are shared in another thread, so for now I'll end this edit to my motorbiking resume. I've found that folks who love adventure will love it no matter how they do it - on foot, 4x4, motorbike, all are great because the journey is great. But motorbiking...I love motorbiking most of all.

Last edited:

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Late to this thread, but I'm a big fan of travel on 2 wheels. My first and only love is my 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC who I have named Hobbes. I've been from border of Mexico to the Arctic and lots of points in between on this machine and I just love it. Probably too much, since I can't even wait for snow to melt.

Come to think of it, getting caught in the snow on a motorbike seems to happen to me a lot. Maybe the curse of being a Canadian adventure rider?

(Above was in 2017; the day before was 30 above and sunny. Woke up that morning to rain on the tent, and decided to be lazy and sleep in. Only it wasn't rain, but we didn't realize until we looked out. 2" of snow and accumulating, over a muddy dirt road, through switchbacks in the Alberta rockies -- not an experience I wish to recreate!)

View attachment 7808568

View attachment 7808569

And I'm happy to say that I'm raising the next generation with a proper appreciation of care and maintenance of my precious friend Hobbes, may the adventures ever continue.

View attachment 7808570

(Above - The Dice Roll Challenge from 2019 - two weeks with no plans, just some dice that determined our daily compass direction)

(Above - Oregon, 2017)

I have a few more adventure vids, they are shared in another thread, so for now I'll end this edit to my motorbiking resume. I've found that folks who love adventure will love it no matter how they do it - on foot, 4x4, motorbike, all are great because the journey is great. But motorbiking...I love motorbiking most of all.
Ah it was YOU! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_7152.MOV
    2.5 MB
Local time
Reaction score
Motos are definitely my first love. Mostly ADV bikes and dirt bikes.

Attachments

• AMRA - Globe Race 2018.jpg
    AMRA - Globe Race 2018.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20171128_090125_031.jpg
    IMG_20171128_090125_031.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180820_122622_446.jpg
    IMG_20180820_122622_446.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200228_142704_528.jpg
    IMG_20200228_142704_528.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 15
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7808568

View attachment 7808569

View attachment 7808570

(Above - Oregon, 2017)

Thanks for sharing - enjoyed the Oregon video, will watch the rest at some point. Great bike, obviously....

Back
Top Bottom