The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Manual windows

MikeF

Grenadier Ordered
Contract Signed
Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
Having had my drivers side window glass replaced/repaired 3 times since 2013, due to regulator issues /switch issues/glass exploding in my ear issues, on my 2013 VW Amarok, I have often mused that manual winding is no big deal and more reliable, less prone to failure. I am wondering if this was considered in the design of IG. Like to think I'm not a total luddite or tech averse/phobic, just that sometimes simpler is better. A quick google search shows that Ford, Kia, Nissan ad Jeep (at least in US market as at 2000) have models with manual windows. Thoughts?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Having had my drivers side window glass replaced/repaired 3 times since 2013, due to regulator issues /switch issues/glass exploding in my ear issues, on my 2013 VW Amarok, I have often mused that manual winding is no big deal and more reliable, less prone to failure. I am wondering if this was considered in the design of IG. Like to think I'm not a total luddite or tech averse/phobic, just that sometimes simpler is better. A quick google search shows that Ford, Kia, Nissan ad Jeep (at least in US market as at 2000) have models with manual windows. Thoughts?
Manual windows are ok if you only want to wind the drivers window down. Not very practical in normal world though.
Every time I get into a hot car I hit the buttons to put all the windows down and turn the aircon to max.
Once the heat is out then hit the buttons again and all windows back up so aircon can work.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Agree - its just another thing that will break after five years and need fixing.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Agree - its just another thing that will break after five years and need fixing.
My car is 8 years old and never had a problem with the electric windows.
In fact I can't remember ever having a problem with electric windows in any car I have ever owned or rented.
Owned maybe 20 cars or more and rented over 100

There is a youtube video with a car full of young girls at a drive through fast/junk food place and they had to open the car door because they couldn't find the button to put the window down.
They had borrowed grandads car with wind down windows

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Electric everything is great until the power goes out i.e. water ingress, accident etc.
Are you or your passengers confident smashing tempered glass when the car is sinking?
It's something that causes me to stop and think.
My cars range from sliding window in the series Landy to manual windows in 3 1960s cars to occasionally faulty electric windows in
cars that have experienced "moisture".
On a side note , if I'm sinking I shall use the safari windows for egress. Unless I'm upside down.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Electric everything is great until the power goes out i.e. water ingress, accident etc.
Are you or your passengers confident smashing tempered glass when the car is sinking?
It's something that causes me to stop and think.
My cars range from sliding window in the series Landy to manual windows in 3 1960s cars to occasionally faulty electric windows in
cars that have experienced "moisture".
On a side note , if I'm sinking I shall use the safari windows for egress. Unless I'm upside down.
If I am sinking I will use the force.
Windows too small

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
I have often mused that manual winding is no big deal and more reliable, less prone to failure.
I have a vehicle with just manual winders. There's still a lot to go wrong with the complex arrangements employed to raise the glass. If it goes out of alignment (it being a frameless design) it can be quite a lengthy challenge to readjust to a watertight seal.

Landrover had the real best answer/compromise (and maybe others, I don't know?) ~ I had sliding glass in my Lightweight:

12-zoomed.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Actually, my current Defender has all three:

Front windows - electric
Rear side windows - manual winders
Rear window on cab - slide

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Landrover had the real best answer/compromise (and maybe others, I don't know?) ~ I had sliding glass in my Lightweight:

View attachment 7794361
It really is a neat solution. The hardest part for me restoring my series Landy was getting the old alloy channel out of the steel frame.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have had the rears on my A6 give up, small plastic slider that holds window onto the wire. Always seems to be a plastic weak link! Still prefer electric ones though. I always have in every car a hammer/seatbelt cutter in both the front and one in the back so if I'm a goner then the kids stand a chance of smashing their way out.

Sinking - always reminds me of;

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Tazzieman ~ Luckily, I never got to that stage ~ every other year I'd pick the moss out of the channel and use an old tooth brush with some soap to give the felt it's knap back.

And the additional bonus of this design was you could take the door tops off easily.

I wonder what a modern iteration of this would be like today?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Tazzieman ~ Luckily, I never got to that stage ~ every other year I'd pick the moss out of the channel and use an old tooth brush with some soap to give the felt it's knap back.
Oh yes , the moss! After cleaning I spray some silicone spray in the channel.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I always have in every car a hammer/seatbelt cutter in both the front and one in the back so if I'm a goner then the kids stand a chance of smashing their way out.
One day find an old car window and see how you go with those toys!
You really need a box cutter , a club hammer and a pair of stout boots - plus the strong will to live.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One day find an old car window and see how you go with those toys!
You really need a box cutter , a club hammer and a pair of stout boots - plus the strong will to live.
Safety glass breaks extremely easily when you don't want it to.
The issue is usually that people hit it in the middle.
Smack near the edge with a feather and it will shatter

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have the wallet to run a few golden oldies. Wish I did, if so I'll buy a few more clubs!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Safety glass breaks extremely easily when you don't want it to.
The issue is usually that people hit it in the middle.
Smack near the edge with a feather and it will shatter
Worst job I did was removing the cracked screen in my '64 Fiat. What I imagined was a 2 minute task took 45 minutes to complete. And 30 minutes to vacuum the glass up!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Side windows are toughened glass:

Screenshot_20221006_092545.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
... they couldn't find the button to put the window down.
They had borrowed grandads car with wind down windows
Where is this all going to end ...

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score

Attachments

• DAE6D0C5-1D0F-435E-91B8-003625A89EA5.jpeg
    DAE6D0C5-1D0F-435E-91B8-003625A89EA5.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8