The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Lowest VIN number.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
Hi all you sleuths out there!
I have been trying to find out how many PTO 1 &2 Grennys were made and given vin numbers. I suspect around 650 vehicles or so.
then I realised that I have never seen a lower VIN number than mine and as I was told , many moons ago that I was in the first 50 worldwide to pay a reservation fee I wonder if mine was the lowest one. Mine is shown as still in production but I have the number and it ends in
0697. How about you guys, no need to give full VINs, the last few numbers will do. Have to think of a prize for the lowest number!
Hopefully the prize isn’t biggest number of faults. 🤔😁

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
I am not sure anymore about the meaning of the number as a 100 % proof of the order of builds. At my dealer there’s a car with a number 274 or so.

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Scrub last comment, realised N2 is body type (No rear windows I assume).
Miles

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Scrub last comment, realised N2 is body type (No rear windows I assume).
Miles
Rear side panels as standard or you can option windows or at least you could when I ordered my utility version

FarmerWales

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all you sleuths out there!
I have been trying to find out how many PTO 1 &2 Grennys were made and given vin numbers. I suspect around 650 vehicles or so.
then I realised that I have never seen a lower VIN number than mine and as I was told , many moons ago that I was in the first 50 worldwide to pay a reservation fee I wonder if mine was the lowest one. Mine is shown as still in production but I have the number and it ends in
0697. How about you guys, no need to give full VINs, the last few numbers will do. Have to think of a prize for the lowest number!
Mines 694.
Be interested to see if the early models end up with more faults.
Went to see mine last week, and the passenger rear door catch would not close. Apparently a known fault and maybe a recall to replace door catches on the way.
Was also salty residue inside the electrical trailer connection - tasted it to find out! So mine was test-driven when there was salt on the road - Feb?!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mines 694.
Went to see mine last week, and the passenger rear door catch would not close. Apparently a known fault and maybe a recall to replace door catches on the way.
Was also salty residue inside the electrical trailer connection - tasted it to find out! So mine was test-driven when there was salt on the road - Feb?!
You need to let us know the manufacture date from the CoC ~ I'm going to say yours is going to be December 22 or earlier.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mines 694.
Mine is 697 and left the assembly line on 21st December 22. I recon yous will be the same day! They were obviously in holding and not complete. Mine had 45 miles on the clock on delivery.

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the one with a 270 number at my dealers yard would be a October or November build? I am not sure whether I would want it after hanging around with the other unfinished boys for six months under the free sky in a wet European winter…

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So the one with a 270 number at my dealers yard would be a October or November build? I am not sure whether I would want it after hanging around with the other unfinished boys for six months under the free sky in a wet European winter…

Are you 100% certain that it is a proper vehicle for sale (with the full VIN of such a vehicle) or a late prototype at your agent as there are agents who have prototype for display?

Reactions: PBD

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you 100% certain that it is a proper vehicle for sale (with the full VIN of such a vehicle) or a late prototype at your agent as there are agents who have prototype for display?
There have been around 15 vehicles on the yard that seemed to be customers vehicles. I just curiously had a glance on every VIN do see what the lowest number would be. But I did not decipher the whole number. I only looked at the last four digits.
I am very sure that it hasn’t been a prototype with red buttons and that stuff.

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am very curious if a pattern of quality issues related to VINs becomes visible eventually. Something like: first 10 cars extremely good, next 500 horrible, next 500 better, next 500 again worse, next 500 better, next 500 upwards excellent. Lets wait and see. My vehicle is going to be …1080. However, I am still not sure if the VIN system is separate for markets, variants and engines…

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am very curious if a pattern of quality issues related to VINs becomes visible eventually. Something like: first 10 cars extremely good, next 500 horrible, next 500 better, next 500 again worse, next 500 better, next 500 upwards excellent. Lets wait and see. My vehicle is 1080. However, I am still not sure if the VIN system is separate for markets, variants and engines…
Just out of curiosity which 500 are better? The above or the below 1000? My one is 9xx 🤔

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don‘t know. However, we might all find out together what the pattern might be.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There have been around 15 vehicles on the yard that seemed to be customers vehicles. I just curiously had a glance on every VIN do see what the lowest number would be. But I did not decipher the whole number. I only looked at the last four digits.
I am very sure that it hasn’t been a prototype with red buttons and that stuff.
I've been doing the same, only taking photos of them all. 😁

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am very curious if a pattern of quality issues related to VINs becomes visible eventually. Something like: first 10 cars extremely good, next 500 horrible, next 500 better, next 500 again worse, next 500 better, next 500 upwards excellent. Lets wait and see.
I think that's going to be hard to guage. Each issue might impact a different VIN range, depending upon the nature of issue.

Some will be problems impacting a whole batch of parts; some, like the transfer case issue, may almost be random, and some issues relating to installation errors, like the brake hoses, will be more related to the actual time on the production line.

However, I am still not sure if the VIN system is separate for markets, variants and engines…
So far I think we have UK & continental European vehicles, both petrol and diesel, following the same system. Have we seen or heard of an Australian VIN?

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think that's going to be hard to guage. Each issue might impact a different VIN range, depending upon the nature of issue.

Some will be problems impacting a whole batch of parts; some, like the transfer case issue, may almost be random, and some issues relating to installation errors, like the brake hoses, will be more related to the actual time on the production line.

So far I think we have UK & continental European vehicles, both petrol and diesel, following the same system. Have we seen or heard of an Australian VIN?
I think your points are valid. The only ones with better insights are IA and the agents. While IA has the full picture, the agents have at least some pattern for the vehicles on their yards and the vehicles they have already delivered. I wonder wether the agents get „service bulletins“ about which issues are related to certain VINs.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
Mine is 697 and left the assembly line on 21st December 22. I recon yous will be the same day! They were obviously in holding and not complete. Mine had 45 miles on the clock on delivery.
My vin is 1710 and I was advised by IA it was built on 25 Jan.

Could they really have built 1000 units in 5 weeks?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I doubt it, but my guess is that the original plan was to get cars to the vips or early adopters first and they may have already been allocated their vin number before they went into construction. That way the vins going down the assembly line would not be consecutive or even the same model or version.
I recon the whole thing went “tits up” for our early ones, hence the batch and hold. The VIP thing went under the bus then, as the later cars were delivered long before ours left the factory.

Back
Top Bottom