The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Inverter on 500amp line?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
With the 500amp line running to the NATO plug in the back I'm wanting to use that to add an inverter. What side do the wires run on? The left by the jack or the right? Also does anyone know what the max dimensions for an inverter are? I'd like to go as big as possible simply because I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. In the future I'd like to be able to power powertools, an induction stove, other things.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Runs down the passenger (LHD) side of the vehicle. I would ensure it is fused appropriately (many inverters specify a Class T fuse) and the entirety of the cable run is correct for what the inverter calls for.

Speaking of what size to go with, that's personal preference and space dependent. Where did you want to mount it?

Also, what are you planning on running from it? And for any extended time? The factory battery (or aux battery) can supply approximately 50Ah before discharging to a state of damage to the cells (50% SoC), so that equates to a 100A load for 30 minutes, or 200A load for 15 minutes. 200A load, with a 87% efficiency is around 2,000w of inverter output; half that to approximately 1,000w for a 100A load for 30 minutes. Since you brought up induction cook top, most of those will draw 1200-1500w, so a 2,000w inverter is probably about right (or something in the 2KVA range, depending on how the brand lists it)

Going huge on the inverter isn't always a great plan because it also is often a little less efficient than appropriately sizing it for the load you plan on putting on it.

My build spreadsheet involves adding a Victron Phoenix 12/1200 inverter, although I need to measure to see where I can fit it; at current my plan is to feed it from a 135Ah LiFePO4 battery; of course, that could change

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Runs down the passenger (LHD) side of the vehicle. I would ensure it is fused appropriately (many inverters specify a Class T fuse) and the entirety of the cable run is correct for what the inverter calls for.

Speaking of what size to go with, that's personal preference and space dependent. Where did you want to mount it?

Also, what are you planning on running from it? And for any extended time? The factory battery (or aux battery) can supply approximately 50Ah before discharging to a state of damage to the cells (50% SoC), so that equates to a 100A load for 30 minutes, or 200A load for 15 minutes. 200A load, with a 87% efficiency is around 2,000w of inverter output; half that to approximately 1,000w for a 100A load for 30 minutes. Since you brought up induction cook top, most of those will draw 1200-1500w, so a 2,000w inverter is probably about right (or something in the 2KVA range, depending on how the brand lists it)

Going huge on the inverter isn't always a great plan because it also is often a little less efficient than appropriately sizing it for the load you plan on putting on it.

My build spreadsheet involves adding a Victron Phoenix 12/1200 inverter, although I need to measure to see where I can fit it; at current my plan is to feed it from a 135Ah LiFePO4 battery; of course, that could change
Ok so to clarify if looking forward you're saying the wiring is on the right side of the vehicle? I would have expected it to be on the left where the Nato plug is. As far as where to mount it I'm unsure. Going have to do some pocking around. I want to use the 500A line/switch that's already there. I know inverters can pull current when not in use so want the option to flip it off.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The relay / 500A connection is behind the rear interior panel under the side storage area window in the back of the grenadier passenger side on LHD vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom