The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Intro and some questions

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
Don't know about the plastic covers but I used to supply the mines in WA with automotive lights wired with Deutsch plugs to mount on the Haulpaks and never had a single failure that I was aware of.
Yep, +1. Roof mount DT plugs around the world, arid through tropical operation, from -12 to +48C. No problems encountered.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
Last question on a related topic, does anyone have concerns about the 4 aux casings in the gutter? Assume they are pretty robust and waterproof? My concern would be if they are too flimsy, poorly designed or damaged by loading things on and off roof and water gets in that could cause issues with the electrics of the vehicle?
Yes.

I've not seen them in person but the video clip I've seen of someone opening/closing one left me with the same questions.
Screenshot_20221201_184813_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
Thanks all.

I watched that video and to me the casings look a bit flimsy and (in my simple mind) could degrade/perish over time.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all.

I watched that video and to me the casings look a bit flimsy and (in my simple mind) could degrade/perish over time.
Maybe. I guess my observation was that the electrical connectors within are reliable, mine being exposed to the elements to a greater extent than in this configuration.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
Silly as it might sound, put a small plastic bag with a rubber band around the wire ends and tuck everything under the cover under the time comes to hook something up.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
As other have said, the lockers are Eaton e-lockers. There are things we know about them, and things we do not.

(1) We know that the Eaton e-lockers disengage briefly when you shift from forward to reverse, and vice-versa. This is not ideal for technical driving. Both air lockers (e.g. ARB) and mechanical lockers (e.g. Ox) will stay fully "locked-up" when shifting from forward to reverse (and vice-versa). Depending on how technical the obstacle, the Eaton lockers may exhibit shortcomings with loss of traction. But much will come down to the terrain you drive: if you engage the locker(s), drive forward through an obstacle, and then disengage the locker(s), this problem will not present.

(2) We do not know how readily the Eaton lockers engage in the Grenadier. There is considerable variability in how quickly factory-installed lockers engage. The lockers in the Ram Power Wagon are the slowest to engage, followed by the lockers in the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; in contrast, the lockers in the new Ford Bronco engage immediately.

(3) The Eaton lockers are actuated electronically; do with that information what you want. Air lockers are dependent on an air compressor, air lines, and in the case of ARB, O-rings that can degrade over time and fail. Mechanical lockers are dependent on a steel cable that can stretch over time and will eventually need adjustment. By far, the mechanical locker is the most robust option, but at present - no mechanical locker for the Grenadier exists.

(4) We do not know if the Carraro axles are compatible with any aftermarket locker currently available (this lack of information is - in my opinion - unacceptable).

(5) We do not know if the aftermarket will develop gears or lockers for the Carraro axles in the Grenadier. The Grenadier is likely to be a low-volume vehicle, so maybe not; or maybe the Grenadier takes off, and someone (ARB?) develops a vehicle-specific locker for it.

(6) We know that Ineos will not retrofit the lockers after the vehicle is produced, so if there is a chance you want them, it is best to order the vehicle spec'd with the lockers. Given the unknowns, your choice may be: order the Eaton lockers from the factory, or never have lockers (unless you replace the axles - see below).

(7) The lockers from Ineos are a better price than what you will pay in the aftermarket - unless you install the aftermarket lockers yourself. But right now, there isn't even an aftermarket option that we know of.

(8) The factory-installed lockers come with a warranty.

(9) Factory lockers will add re-sale value to the vehicle.

Given all the variables, it seems like ordering the Eaton lockers from the factory makes the most sense - unless you are certain it is an option you will never need, and/or the price poses a hardship.

If you do not order the Eaton lockers, and you decide later that you want lockers, maybe there will be some in the aftermarket. If there are no lockers in the aftermarket, and money isn't an obstacle, you can swap in a set of Dynatrac Prorock axles, and you can spec these axles however you choose - they are all handbuilt here in America, and Dynatrac can custom-build to any vehicle. For around $20,000 (plus shipping if you are overseas) you can get:

1. Full-float axles (stronger and easier to work with in the field than the semi-float axles that come in the Grenadier)
2. Whatever gears you want (allowing you to spec the axle for larger tires, should you wish)
3. Whatever lockers you want: e-lockers, air lockers, or mechanical lockers.

EDIT: pricing for Dynatrac axles has probably gone up due to inflation.
Great list of Pro's v Con's. I had a chat to my local Opposite Lock guy and he said that E' Lockers were far more reliable than air lockers, of all of the issues with lockers they have had, air lockers were by far the biggest offender.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Silly as it might sound, put a small plastic bag with a rubber band around the wire ends and tuck everything under the cover under the time comes to hook something up.
And spray WD40 in the plastic bag before rubber banding to keep moisture out

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes.

I've not seen them in person but the video clip I've seen of someone opening/closing one left me with the same questions.
View attachment 7799582
I guess these were 3D printed prototypes but also in reality how often will you be opening and closing them.
Light bar at front permanently plugged in
Work lights side and rear permanently plugged in
LED strip light under awning permanently plugged in

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you're not going to be plugging/unplugging then there's far better engineered solutions:
ScanstrutDS-H10-BLKCableSeal_1500x.jpg

Given Toby Ecuyer's background, it's surprisingly to see a solution from the marine industry hasn't been adopted.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
would there not be a Deutsch plug end cap one could click on/off as needed, with a rubber seal etc?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not seen one, so if anyone comes up with a solution I'd be interested.

My thought would be just use a spare plug going into the socket in the box. The plug would have the ends were the wires would go in filled with blanking pins available from Deutsch.

bbf0cd08-cea5-4bdc-b899-96b79591d9fc.__CR0,0,600,600_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
Diff locks, winch: Things you can buy. But do you need them? Okay, the day will come, for sure, at least perhaps.
In Europa we made some offroad trips trough the mountains, and sometimes I thought: "It would be funny to take a BMW 320i oder a VW Golf and drive the same way - it could be possible!" I was sitting in a Toyota, when the driver came in very soft sand - the car stopped. He closed the diff locks front and rear - and it was driving out of the hole with the soft sand without any problem. In my last holiday we were 4 cars, three of them with a winch - and me.
I´ve choosen for the diff locks, but not for the winch (maybe sometimes later). My toyota only has a diff lock in the middle, nothing else. You have to know, where you can drive - that is important. The rest is FUN. :cool: SEE YOU!

Attachments

• IMG20220414130405.jpg
    IMG20220414130405.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi all

Long time listener, first time caller.

By way of background, I’m from Adelaide, South Australia. I ordered a Fieldmaster in July. Most of my driving will be from home to work (city) but I need something that can manage 3 young kids and will grow with the family as we start to do a lot more 4WDing, camping etc as the kids grow into it. I grew up exploring the outback in a discovery and am keen to impart the same experience on the kids. [i should also add the when our family ordered the disco series 1 in the late 90s and we had a 12 month wait/delay… history repeating?! Maybe conditioning?]

I have been chopping and changing on a number of things, including colour (landed on Donny Grey which was my initial pref).

On the basis most of you would qualify for undergraduate degrees in the Grenadier, can in lob a few questions your way? In no particular order, my questions are as follows:

1) assume I can add a raised air intake later?

2) I am on the fence with the front and rear diff locks (not an auto add on with the fieldmaster). Did a test drive in SA recently and the vehicle gobbled up the course without the front and rears. I know the install of e lockers is a factory thing which you need to opt in for now, but my question is could I just retrofit air lockers later should I realise I need them? Second part to the question, did ineos design the lockers or are the bought from a third party provider? I am starting to redline the budget but would add them if it was now or never.

3) I am also on the fence with the high load aux wiring. I know this is great if you’re going to have lights mounted around the car etc. However, it looks like there is some aux wiring that comes with the fieldmaster. Am I correct in saying that the aux wiring under the hood would accomodate a LED light on the roo bar? Also, the 12V in the boot would power a modest plug in fridge? If so, I think that’d just about do me. I don’t think I’ll need a winch.

Some other comments, I am thinking I’ll do away with any roof racks at this point (currently ordered the 2 bars) and wait for the 3/4 rhino. The full one looks useful but a bit bulky and would obstruct the safari windows.

I have also optioned the roo bar (I think it suits the car well and is very functional for a stray roo), interior rails and cargo system and privacy glass.

Any input welcome. Keen to sort it out as I will need to confirm prior to build commencing, whenever that may be.

I intentionally left out any mention of resale as this seems to be taboo here!

Cheers
My 2c for what it’s worth

1. Can always fit snorkel after.

2. Diff locks are a nice to have ( I’ve not had them in any of my FWDs). If your budget is tight can do without -but when you’re in the $hit they could be gold. I found ordering a Trailmaster was more cost effective if you want lockers. As others have said don’t hold your breather for some aftermarket stuff as Grenadiers will be relatively small market for them.

3. I think the electrics are a good idea. May save a lot of work later. Again cost is a consideration.

4. Yep I’m with you with the rack and only getting bars to start with. I like this stuff https://www.nakatanenga.de/en/
I think they’ll put out a rack for the Grenadier. Be costly getting to Oz but I like the system. Might need a trip to Germany to suss them out 😎

Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom