The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Intro and some questions

Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
Hi all

Long time listener, first time caller.

By way of background, I’m from Adelaide, South Australia. I ordered a Fieldmaster in July. Most of my driving will be from home to work (city) but I need something that can manage 3 young kids and will grow with the family as we start to do a lot more 4WDing, camping etc as the kids grow into it. I grew up exploring the outback in a discovery and am keen to impart the same experience on the kids. [i should also add the when our family ordered the disco series 1 in the late 90s and we had a 12 month wait/delay… history repeating?! Maybe conditioning?]

I have been chopping and changing on a number of things, including colour (landed on Donny Grey which was my initial pref).

On the basis most of you would qualify for undergraduate degrees in the Grenadier, can in lob a few questions your way? In no particular order, my questions are as follows:

1) assume I can add a raised air intake later?

2) I am on the fence with the front and rear diff locks (not an auto add on with the fieldmaster). Did a test drive in SA recently and the vehicle gobbled up the course without the front and rears. I know the install of e lockers is a factory thing which you need to opt in for now, but my question is could I just retrofit air lockers later should I realise I need them? Second part to the question, did ineos design the lockers or are the bought from a third party provider? I am starting to redline the budget but would add them if it was now or never.

3) I am also on the fence with the high load aux wiring. I know this is great if you’re going to have lights mounted around the car etc. However, it looks like there is some aux wiring that comes with the fieldmaster. Am I correct in saying that the aux wiring under the hood would accomodate a LED light on the roo bar? Also, the 12V in the boot would power a modest plug in fridge? If so, I think that’d just about do me. I don’t think I’ll need a winch.

Some other comments, I am thinking I’ll do away with any roof racks at this point (currently ordered the 2 bars) and wait for the 3/4 rhino. The full one looks useful but a bit bulky and would obstruct the safari windows.

I have also optioned the roo bar (I think it suits the car well and is very functional for a stray roo), interior rails and cargo system and privacy glass.

Any input welcome. Keen to sort it out as I will need to confirm prior to build commencing, whenever that may be.

I intentionally left out any mention of resale as this seems to be taboo here!

Cheers

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
just retrofit air lockers later should I realise I need them
There is no guarantee that ARB will ever release air lockers. I personally don't see them spending the money on R&D for what will be a low volume vehicle that already comes with factory options for lockers. I think if you want lockers get the factory ones or you may be waiting forever

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
Hi all

Long time listener, first time caller.

By way of background, I’m from Adelaide, South Australia. I ordered a Fieldmaster in July. Most of my driving will be from home to work (city) but I need something that can manage 3 young kids and will grow with the family as we start to do a lot more 4WDing, camping etc as the kids grow into it. I grew up exploring the outback in a discovery and am keen to impart the same experience on the kids. [i should also add the when our family ordered the disco series 1 in the late 90s and we had a 12 month wait/delay… history repeating?! Maybe conditioning?]

I have been chopping and changing on a number of things, including colour (landed on Donny Grey which was my initial pref).

On the basis most of you would qualify for undergraduate degrees in the Grenadier, can in lob a few questions your way? In no particular order, my questions are as follows:

1) assume I can add a raised air intake later?

2) I am on the fence with the front and rear diff locks (not an auto add on with the fieldmaster). Did a test drive in SA recently and the vehicle gobbled up the course without the front and rears. I know the install of e lockers is a factory thing which you need to opt in for now, but my question is could I just retrofit air lockers later should I realise I need them? Second part to the question, did ineos design the lockers or are the bought from a third party provider? I am starting to redline the budget but would add them if it was now or never.

3) I am also on the fence with the high load aux wiring. I know this is great if you’re going to have lights mounted around the car etc. However, it looks like there is some aux wiring that comes with the fieldmaster. Am I correct in saying that the aux wiring under the hood would accomodate a LED light on the roo bar? Also, the 12V in the boot would power a modest plug in fridge? If so, I think that’d just about do me. I don’t think I’ll need a winch.

Some other comments, I am thinking I’ll do away with any roof racks at this point (currently ordered the 2 bars) and wait for the 3/4 rhino. The full one looks useful but a bit bulky and would obstruct the safari windows.

I have also optioned the roo bar (I think it suits the car well and is very functional for a stray roo), interior rails and cargo system and privacy glass.

Any input welcome. Keen to sort it out as I will need to confirm prior to build commencing, whenever that may be.

I intentionally left out any mention of resale as this seems to be taboo here!

Cheers
  1. Yes, no cutting required
  2. Diff locks are standard eaton e-lockers. Diffs are unique to with or without so need to be ordered with the vehicle. No idea if aftermarket will fit or if they will make something for such a low volume vehicle. I have ordered them to be on the safe side.
  3. 1672911212274.png 1672911125256.png

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes the electrical preparation will help you with the front light bar on the roo bar, however one of the standard includes roof switches will also suffice for the same purpose.

Consider the resale value by all means - you should factor it in - as plans change.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes the electrical preparation will help you with the front light bar on the roo bar, however one of the standard includes roof switches will also suffice for the same purpose.

Consider the resale value by all means - you should factor it in - as plans change.
As our Austrian friend said, Lockers, wiring and safari windows are a must from the factory.
I have ordered all 3.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
+1 what DaveB said abt the Austrian

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As our Austrian friend said, Lockers, wiring and safari windows are a must from the factory.
I have ordered
I ordered a Fieldmaster with the Lockers and the Electrical Preparation.
However I also ordered the winch as I think this is almost the 4th must have that cannot be done ( or is nearly impossible to do) aftermarket.
These options were ticked largely considering the resale market.

Zacman110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:59 PM
Reaction score
Heya!

Apparently the snorkel can be added later, but I think you’d be crazy to not do diff locks/electrical preparation. They are so hard to do later! (Had a 110 Defender for ages and I can guarantee electrical add ons are tricky). Even the power outlets/second battery are a bargain IMHO.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I ordered a Fieldmaster with the Lockers and the Electrical Preparation.
However I also ordered the winch as I think this is almost the 4th must have that cannot be done ( or is nearly impossible to do) aftermarket.
These options were ticked largely considering the resale market.
As Ronny Dahl said about difflocks.
It is cool to engage them and just slowly drive up the track

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score

As other have said, the lockers are Eaton e-lockers. There are things we know about them, and things we do not.

(1) We know that the Eaton e-lockers disengage briefly when you shift from forward to reverse, and vice-versa. This is not ideal for technical driving. Both air lockers (e.g. ARB) and mechanical lockers (e.g. Ox) will stay fully "locked-up" when shifting from forward to reverse (and vice-versa). Depending on how technical the obstacle, the Eaton lockers may exhibit shortcomings with loss of traction. But much will come down to the terrain you drive: if you engage the locker(s), drive forward through an obstacle, and then disengage the locker(s), this problem will not present.

(2) We do not know how readily the Eaton lockers engage in the Grenadier. There is considerable variability in how quickly factory-installed lockers engage. The lockers in the Ram Power Wagon are the slowest to engage, followed by the lockers in the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; in contrast, the lockers in the new Ford Bronco engage immediately.

(3) The Eaton lockers are actuated electronically; do with that information what you want. Air lockers are dependent on an air compressor, air lines, and in the case of ARB, O-rings that can degrade over time and fail. Mechanical lockers are dependent on a steel cable that can stretch over time and will eventually need adjustment. By far, the mechanical locker is the most robust option, but at present - no mechanical locker for the Grenadier exists.

(4) We do not know if the Carraro axles are compatible with any aftermarket locker currently available (this lack of information is - in my opinion - unacceptable).

(5) We do not know if the aftermarket will develop gears or lockers for the Carraro axles in the Grenadier. The Grenadier is likely to be a low-volume vehicle, so maybe not; or maybe the Grenadier takes off, and someone (ARB?) develops a vehicle-specific locker for it.

(6) We know that Ineos will not retrofit the lockers after the vehicle is produced, so if there is a chance you want them, it is best to order the vehicle spec'd with the lockers. Given the unknowns, your choice may be: order the Eaton lockers from the factory, or never have lockers (unless you replace the axles - see below).

(7) The lockers from Ineos are a better price than what you will pay in the aftermarket - unless you install the aftermarket lockers yourself. But right now, there isn't even an aftermarket option that we know of.

(8) The factory-installed lockers come with a warranty.

(9) Factory lockers will add re-sale value to the vehicle.

Given all the variables, it seems like ordering the Eaton lockers from the factory makes the most sense - unless you are certain it is an option you will never need, and/or the price poses a hardship.

If you do not order the Eaton lockers, and you decide later that you want lockers, maybe there will be some in the aftermarket. If there are no lockers in the aftermarket, and money isn't an obstacle, you can swap in a set of Dynatrac Prorock axles, and you can spec these axles however you choose - they are all handbuilt here in America, and Dynatrac can custom-build to any vehicle. For around $20,000 (plus shipping if you are overseas) you can get:

1. Full-float axles (stronger and easier to work with in the field than the semi-float axles that come in the Grenadier)
2. Whatever gears you want (allowing you to spec the axle for larger tires, should you wish)
3. Whatever lockers you want: e-lockers, air lockers, or mechanical lockers.

EDIT: pricing for Dynatrac axles has probably gone up due to inflation.

Last edited:

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Follow up for anyone interested:

Excellent review of various types of locking differentials. Note: the guy doing the review sells all the lockers he is reviewing, and I think he avoids any real criticism of the products. In particular, the Detroit locker probably deserves more criticism when compared to selectable lockers for off-road applications. Still, he provides excellent explanations of the different types of lockers. Its a great tutorial for anyone new to lockers.

Ox Lockers:

Full-float vs. Semi-float axles:

Dynatrac:

Last edited:

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Electrical prep., diff locks, maybe a winch all seem sensible factory orders given the warranty and small volume build. The vehicle in the flesh does look well built, certainly better than a 110 Wolf hard top that has seen heavy use, so it should sell well into its’ limited market across the globe. Looking forward to getting hold of one and finding out how good it is towing and off-highway.

Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
Thanks all, some very comprehensive and considered responses.

I think I will add the front and rear lockers and electrical prep. FOMO I guess!

Last question on a related topic, does anyone have concerns about the 4 aux casings in the gutter? Assume they are pretty robust and waterproof? My concern would be if they are too flimsy, poorly designed or damaged by loading things on and off roof and water gets in that could cause issues with the electrics of the vehicle? I suppose if it’s just one casing you could identify and just not use the switch which would isolate/remedy the issue?

Thanks again!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all, some very comprehensive and considered responses.

I think I will add the front and rear lockers and electrical prep. FOMO I guess!

Last question on a related topic, does anyone have concerns about the 4 aux casings in the gutter? Assume they are pretty robust and waterproof? My concern would be if they are too flimsy, poorly designed or damaged by loading things on and off roof and water gets in that could cause issues with the electrics of the vehicle? I suppose if it’s just one casing you could identify and just not use the switch which would isolate/remedy the issue?

Thanks again!
Don't know about the plastic covers but I used to supply the mines in WA with automotive lights wired with Deutsch plugs to mount on the Haulpaks and never had a single failure that I was aware of.

Back
Top Bottom