The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Ineos 4x4 Van Spec Interest?

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Anyone also really hoping for an Ineos Van configuration for the future?  If so, like and/or comment. Wondering if there are enough of us to get attention.  Might just be me... but I wonder...

I envision: 

-  Door on only one side of the middle access, leaving one side to be fully used for space all the way from the rear access door to the driver's seat. If sliding door, exterior door attachments do not have to be disconnected to open the door.  Swinging doors optional as some prefer those.

-  Flat cargo space with squared off wheel wells.

-  Pre-fabricated secure points for optional rear seats (can be used as a cargo van build-out, OR have 1-4 rear passengers) (seats are relatively light and easily removable, designed to be used as chairs outside of the rig).

-  Retain the IG-shaped front end, retaining serviceability space (no "snub nose" front end typical of a van... kinda like a Nissan NV 2500 but more classy)

-  Optional high roof, or pop-top roof. Optional stock roof vent fan. Optional roof and side walls insulation.

-  Optional stock 35" tires with retained ideal suspension geometry even if increased to aftermarket 37" tires.  Increased stock tire size will compensate for longer wheel base of the van, retaining similar approach & departure angles of the original IG.

-  Optional high-torque final drive ratio (approx. 4.7) for when someone wants to put 37" tires on, or expects to tow heavy loads up hill with 33s or 35's

-  Diesel transmission as standard on petrol models (higher torque ratings to take advantage of the B58 engine's known head room for tuning without overloading stock transmission)

-  Optional higher output engines for improved power-to-weight ratios (they already exist with BMW B58 engines)

-  Retain similar tow ratings as the IG, or only slightly less.

-  Increased fuel capacity, or space for aftermarket fuel tank. There should be room with this longer vehicle.

-  Rear doors accommodate up to 37" spare tires without aftermarket brackets.

-  Replace optional front and rear E-lockers with ARB lockers. Optional exterior access air hose connection.  If you're the type to option for front and rear lockers, you're probably going to want an air compressor with a stock "home" anyway... fill up your own tires, air mattresses, pressure wash the mud off the rig, etc etc. Air lockers also engage immediately upon activation, whereas E-lockers requires you to turn the wheels approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of a rotation to lock... might not have that option if you're already stuck. 

-  Replace full-time 4-wheel drive with Selectable 4-wheel drive for increased fuel efficiency on road... where most of the miles are driven. (manual select between rear drive 2x and 4x)

-  Cargo area windows optional, not standard.  Some want reduced green house effect and heat loss, and increased security, while others prefer a view. 

-  Optional security barrier between the cab and the van cargo space, with locking slide door for easy pass-through access without having to get out of the cab to get in the cargo space. Barrier can be attached either behind driver/passenger seat, or behind first row of cargo seats. If cargo area does not have windows, criminals can't just break a window to gain access to the entire vehicle.

-  Optional center console delete (for passage from cab to cargo area.... or to transport longer lumber.... or for placement of a small Dometic cooler...?)

-  Optional swivel front seats.

-  Optional telescoping side mirrors (and of course rear camera).

-  Optional bug nets for both side door and rear doors; so air can flow while sleeping, eating in the shade... but without bugs or greenhouse effect.

That's what's off the top of my head.... is it just me?  I like being able to simply nap in the rear with no hassle, and not have to decide between the gear or the family on a trip. This would be a rig that can traverse obstacles, haul larger objects (without getting rained on or stolen while you're in the restaurant).  It's a bigger vehicle, but gains lots of functionality and personalization within a base chassis. 

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
I'd love to see that drawn up in Photoshop  ?

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=crimson userid=8972094 postid=1333059008]I'd love to see that drawn up in Photoshop  ?[/QUOTE]  Dang... wish my talent bent that direction.  I can only use my imagination to "wrap" the IG look onto the structure of a Nissan NV 2500, retaining most of IG's characteristics, just a bit bigger.  The IG looks so much more classy than the Nissan, so when I do imagine an IG van, it looks great. 

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=crimson userid=8972094 postid=1333059008]I'd love to see that drawn up in Photoshop ?
Dang... wish my talent bent that direction. I can only use my imagination to "wrap" the IG look onto the structure of a Nissan NV 2500, retaining most of IG's characteristics, just a bit bigger. The IG looks so much more classy than the Nissan, so when I do imagine an IG van, it looks great.

[/QUOTE]
I have a feeling that the world will be out of oil by the time IA gets to that point, there has to be a market firstly (in the 10s of thousands to make it viable) then tooling etc etc.
Nice idea but I think we've got more chance of getting a 7 seater IG than we have a van at this stage.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a van person... the market for this would be so absurdly niche, there would be a huge overall loss in development costs.

Some of your wishes don't really add up or make sense either.

-A van on 37s is a great concept, until you introduce the high roof option and thus your CG goes up substantially. It works on Econolines, but even 35s on Sprinters are really pushing it, and the tiny percentage of people that use their vans in this manner are few and far between
-Including the diesel transmission doesn't really make sense, as the primary difference between the petrol and diesel transmissions used in the Grenadier would be the gear ratios (this works against your wish of a shorter final drive ratio as the diesel trans has longer gears due to the lower RPMs).
-Doing a normal length nose on a van increases the length of the vehicle massively, drastically reducing not only off road abilities, but also tossing out the option of parking in a regular parking spot or street parking
-Going from a 32 to a 35 will equal a 1.5" (very rough math here) increase in ride height. On a 115" wheelbase this equals ~3º of improved breakover angle. Bump the wheelbase up to 130" and the 1.5" increase is only 2.5º in increase, go to a 140" wheelbase and that gets even less. A 37" tire on a 140" wheelbase is *almost* the same as a 32" tire on a 115" wheelbase.
-The B58 in the Grenadier is lower on power for a reason, to increase durability and reliability, going specifically against this ethos in a vehicle that weighs more (and thus puts the engine under higher load more frequently), seems counterproductive.
-Replacing the e-lockers with air lockers adds another layer of failure points. ARB air lockers frequently have air leak issues (whether it is a ruptured hose, failed solenoid valve, or an internal air leak). Additionally, you stated that the 1/3 to 1/2 rotation may not be an option if stuck; on the contrary, getting that spin should be no problem if stuck. Air lockers also aren't necessarily an "instant" engagement as if the teeth aren't aligned, they too require some amount of rotation until engagement.

Additionally, a large part of the feasibility of the Grenadier being sold is that it is a globally sold vehicle, fit to be utilized (and desired) globally. While soft-roading in vans is popular in some parts of the world, it definitely is not in many others.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
I think a forward control 4x4 van / minibus would be very popular for camper conversions.

Back
Top Bottom