The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How many cars have been built?

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
In today‘s email from INEOS they state that 2,300 have been built, of which 1,700 have been built in 2023. 500 are with dealerships.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
So thats the problem as i suspected, they simply aren’t building them fast enough.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So thats the problem as i suspected, they simply aren’t building them fast enough.
We at least they are not going to have an issue with their UK quota limit. That was my concern that as I've ordered a Fieldmaster the 1700 limit for type M1 would kick in before I got mine. Either way I reckon I'll be on a 73 plate.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score
In today‘s email from INEOS they state that 2,300 have been built, of which 1,700 have been built in 2023. 500 are with dealerships.
My dealer told me they have 25 cars there by now. Other dealers have the same number. There are more than 20 dealers in England, Scotland, Wales and Germany plus the supersized Dr. Hedin.
I guess that 500 is just a round rough figure which might be some weeks old.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think you need to be careful estimating number of vehicles produced by looking at the last 6 digits of the VIN. As I understand it these are only sequential when all other values of the ViN are the same (e.g. year of manufacture, place of manufacture etc - but more importantly vehicle model and engine type.) Depending on how vehicle model is interpreted this could mean that the last 6 digits are only sequential within, say, Trialmasters with a petrol engine etc, and that a different series will apply to Trialmasters with a diesel engine, Fieldmasters with petrol etc. Maybe there may me separate series for right hand drive and left hand drive.
If this was true for the Grenadier then VIN numbers (the last 6 digits) would all be smaller numbers than we are seeing. In fact we are seeing a little bit of the opposite - quoted VIN numbers are larger than current volumes of vehicles produced (using numbers from the latest Ineos email dated 21st April 2023). Easily explained by email numbers lagging actual production due to sign off delay on email and/or combination with final PTOs taking early numbers.

More on our own VIN musings here:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
1700 in 2023, that is not even 16 cars per day (weekends not included).

Veryyyy slow... very. But I'm sure most of the ramp up happened this month of April. (hoping).

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
didn't they say in one of the promo videos they can build a grenadier every 5 minutes if everything goes right?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
didn't they say in one of the promo videos they can build a grenadier every 5 minutes if everything goes right?
Eventually... this first 12 months is going to be the spluttering cold start.. After then hambach engine will start purring

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
I just wonder with these low delivery if not production numbers how they can hope to sell the US orders in Dec? I guess they could start to send them here and starve out the EU or somewhere just to say that they are sending some to the US???

Or is the IG just not as popular as we (on this forum dedicated to it and having pit money down) thought it would be, especially in the US. I’m not sure what the ‘penetration’ is the US market. Or will it take 5000 trucks on the road for people to start to wonder what it is?

Reactions: m-j

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
I think thats partly it. Production is slow, but then orders are small, and the manuf. process is being proven.

The car is it's own best advert... the first 5-10,000 on the road will stimulate orders, by which time production will be sped up

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just wonder with these low delivery if not production numbers how they can hope to sell the US orders in Dec? I guess they could start to send them here and starve out the EU or somewhere just to say that they are sending some to the US???

Or is the IG just not as popular as we (on this forum dedicated to it and having pit money down) thought it would be, especially in the US. I’m not sure what the ‘penetration’ is the US market. Or will it take 5000 trucks on the road for people to start to wonder what it is?
It will sell out soon as orders open for USofA. Ill put $1000 bet down on that occurring!

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
half what they initially indicated.
Even less. 25.000 was the number they wanted to reach (at least in the beginning and for that number parts were ordered). But, maybe they reduced that, I don't know.

AWo

BillyBunter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We at least they are not going to have an issue with their UK quota limit. That was my concern that as I've ordered a Fieldmaster the 1700 limit for type M1 would kick in before I got mine. Either way I reckon I'll be on a 73 plate.
What is this M1 quota limit? I can't find anything on the "web" about this. Is it an Ineos self-imposed limit per market?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is this M1 quota limit? I can't find anything on the "web" about this. Is it an Ineos self-imposed limit per market?
There's info in the threads somewhere regarding this and I was advised by my dealer. Ineos have small vehicle manufacture status to get round various emissions legislation in the UK. As a consequence they can only import 6000 vehicles pa. ( I have thought it was a figure of 10,000 but it has since been confirmed as 6000, no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) BUT that is total of which there will only be 1700 type M1 eg Fieldmaster and Trialmaster combined. (again I heard 1600 rather than 1700, but again someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)
So they are limited pa to 1700 M1 and 4300 N1

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There's info in the threads somewhere regarding this and I was advised by my dealer. Ineos have small vehicle manufacture status to get round various emissions legislation in the UK. As a consequence they can only import 6000 vehicles pa. ( I have thought it was a figure of 10,000 but it has since been confirmed as 6000, no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) BUT that is total of which there will only be 1700 type M1 eg Fieldmaster and Trialmaster combined. (again I heard 1600 rather than 1700, but again someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)
So they are limited pa to 1700 M1 and 4300 N1
Correct👍🏼

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Ineos have small vehicle manufacture status
Is that really the case? If you look into the EU regulations regarding type approval within the EU (regulation 2018/858 with the corresponding executive regulation 2020/683) you see that small batch manufacturers are allowed to register not more than 1500 units per year within the EU. In Germany the national limit is 250 units. The details for small batch manufacturers can be found there in article 3, 30 and appendix II., 1, V and in executive regulation appendix IV.

Or you check the book "Die Genehmigungsverfahren für Kraftfahrzeuge" (Type approval processes for vehicles) (ISBN 978-3-7812-2092-8) from the publisher "Kirschbaum" in Bonn, Germany, That publisher is a well known and accepted publisher of books regarding traffic, vehicle technology and vehicle regulations. The writers are lawyers and engineers and they publish for technical control boards, manufacturers, car builders, parts manufacturers etc. who need to know the regulations.

If IA is such a manufacturer it must have the letters "KS" in their type approval number for cars in Germany (assigned by the KBA, Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt). The whole number should look like:

e<country of approval><number of base regulation><number of modification><five digits continous number><extension of approval>
The first two digits of the number of the base regulation should be "KS" in case of a small batch manufacturer.

Example:
e4*540/2014*2017/1576B*00034*01

In case of a small batch manufacturer it should look like (just an example):
e4*540/2014*KS17/1576B*00034*01

AWo

Back
Top Bottom