The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hi from Sydney

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Am looking forward to contributing on the forum.

I'm from Sydney, late 30s and like camping, hiking and offroading. Mainly weekenders and multi-days in work holidays - so I'm not as full-on with the overlanding and offroading as the car probably intends its drivers to be :). But I have a mid-size SUV that I just spent over $5k on repairs (drive shaft) after damaging it in light offroading, so I think I'll donate that to be the family wagon and get myself a proper purpose built car!

Very close to putting in an order. Off to see a demo car in Sydney tomorrow.

So far my concerns are the height (being over 2m is a bit of an issue with some car parks - even a road - near me), resale value (if Ineos stop manufacturing them or this model turns out to be buggy) and safety uncertainty (not so much the lack of AEB, LKA and ISA but the fundementals of crashing well, protecting passengers in collisions, not rolling easily etc - my main concern with a Jeep - are yet to be tested AFK)?

Otherwise I'm super excited. I love the look of the Defenders - but they cost a bomb second hand (forget first hand) and don't have many of the modern car luxuries that come with the grenadier. Specs look awesome for offroading. I like the Mercedes G-Class but am priced out. Love the old Toyota 70 series (which they manufacture new here) but it doesn't have the modern features or the modern safety (i.e. side airbags). Toyota 300 series feels a bit too much with features, similar price point but doesn't have the look (I'm superficial on this I admit!).

The grenadier really does seem to fill a gap in the market while looking totally awesome. So pretty sure I'll be getting one.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:27 PM
Reaction score
Welcome Peter! as far as safety in a crash is concerned, although they haven't officially tested it yet, there is a snippet in an early video of one been crashed and it held up well. Apparently they'd crashed 10 or so at that point, that was a while back now too.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Welcome Peter.

I believe there is minimal downside risk with buying a Grenadier.

If you find you don't like it after a few months or a year you will probably be able to sell it at a profit.

If INEOS decides to cancel production after a few years because they can't turn a profit, then you will have a limited edition collectors car that will only go up in value.

If you love it then you will have a real keeper and many many years of enjoyment.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm from Sydney, late 30s and like camping, hiking and offroading. Mainly weekenders and multi-days in work holidays - so I'm not as full-on with the overlanding and offroading as the car probably intends its drivers to be :). But I have a mid-size SUV that I just spent over $5k on repairs (drive shaft) after damaging it in light offroading, so I think I'll donate that to be the family wagon and get myself a proper purpose built car!

So far my concerns are the height (being over 2m is a bit of an issue with some car parks - even a road - near me), resale value (if Ineos stop manufacturing them or this model turns out to be buggy) and safety uncertainty (not so much the lack of AEB, LKA and ISA but the fundementals of crashing well, protecting passengers in collisions, not rolling easily etc - my main concern with a Jeep - are yet to be tested AFK)?

Otherwise I'm super excited. I love the look of the Defenders - but they cost a bomb second hand (forget first hand) and don't have many of the modern car luxuries that come with the grenadier. Specs look awesome for offroading. I like the Mercedes G-Class but am priced out. Love the old Toyota 70 series (which they manufacture new here) but it doesn't have the modern features or the modern safety (i.e. side airbags). Toyota 300 series feels a bit too much with features, similar price point but doesn't have the look (I'm superficial on this I admit!).

The grenadier really does seem to fill a gap in the market while looking totally awesome. So pretty sure I'll be getting one.
Welcome Peter, where abouts in Sydney is the demo vehicle?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Pretty much all accurate there. The height is an issue. You will need absolute minimum 2.07 m without Racks. 2.1 at least with basic rack. That does rule out a lot of carparks for sure. There is no public crash test data available, but INEOS have crashed them and one can only assume the results were acceptable.

Resale is a gamble with any vehicle but I don’t see signs it is going to be worse than average for the Grenadiers at this stage. The Covid crazy resale is rapidly departing and so all vehicles likely to settle back to what was once the norm, a significant drop as soon as you drive it out of the dealers door. Grenadier probably protected for bit more just due to scarcity of supply but probably won’t last forever.

Back
Top Bottom