The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hey there from New England

Ipe

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Hey All, 
I'm a reservation holder as of this last weekend. A little late to the party but better late than never. I've had a Bronco reservation since August 2020 and while I'm hoping it might show in 22, I'm not holding my breath. The Grenadier seems like a better option in many ways and I'm pretty excited to see what is coming down the trail. 
My current vehicles are a 2021 Defender 110, a 2019 F350, and a 2008 JKUR that's been handed down to my son. 
This looks like a great forum. I'm looking forward to being here. 
Ipe

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
welcome to the Forum mate, plenty of good stuff to sift through

3DDiY

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting to see you went with the new defender but still wanting a grenadier. Any thing you can enlighten us what you have come to the conclusion with the new and what your interest is in the grenadier. As I have been wondering this choice. 

Ipe

Local time
Reaction score
3DDiY said:
Interesting to see you went with the new defender but still wanting a grenadier. Any thing you can enlighten us what you have come to the conclusion with the new and what your interest is in the grenadier. As I have been wondering this choice. 

I've got a love/hate relationship with the Defender. For the most part it's a GREAT vehicle. There are a few things that absolutely annoy the snot out of me.  Most of those things are part of the nanny electronics that are too smart for their own good and seemed determined to kill me. Other annoyances are the front seats (don't really fit me) and the key/In Control app. Land Rover could take some lessons from Ford in this area. Being forced to use an app to remote start your vehicle is monumentally stupid, especially if you're in areas with limited mobile coverage. Heck, the Defender key has serious issues unlocking via proximity.  The key fob for my F350 work every time. The Defender key and/or app, well, not so much. I could go down this road (rant) a long way. It's a rabbit hole I'll avoid for now

I bought the Defender intending to get rid of it when the Bronco got here. Since then, my wife has commandeered the Defender as her own. She turned in her Expedition at end of lease and is patiently waiting to be able to order a Range Rover Sport in the configuration she wants.  RR won't accept orders for configs that have back ordered components (like the adaptive cruise module). 

The big thing that bugs me about the Defender (non-electronic nanny related) is that it seems to "refined" and removed from the serious vehicle it once was. While it could get dirty, and I have used it over many forest roads, anything over unimproved terrain is a recipe for difficulties. The 20" wheel/tire selection is a perfect example of this. 

My current thinking is that the Bronco is really quite very cool, but it's a toy. I have the F350 for my business and moving anything serious so I'm okay with the Bronco being a toy. The Grenadier on the other hand seems like a serious vehicle that has a very fun side too and I'm thinking this will suit me better in the long run. 

I hope this answers your questions

3DDiY

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I honestly would have had a defender by now. If it wasn't for the chip shortage, features that were taken away like the adaptive cruise control. Features that ended up reserved for the most expensive packages. Dealership was also demanding 5k over sticker price just because of supply and demand. 

Thanks for the perspective. When I test drove it, it did feel more like a mall runner then an adventure around the corner. I guess what you would say refined. Lets see how the Gren does over seas at the end of the year and hopefully we can get it quick in 2023. 

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
3DDiY said:
I honestly would have had a defender by now. If it wasn't for the chip shortage, features that were taken away like the adaptive cruise control. Features that ended up reserved for the most expensive packages. Dealership was also demanding 5k over sticker price just because of supply and demand. 

Thanks for the perspective. When I test drove it, it did feel more like a mall runner then an adventure around the corner. I guess what you would say refined. Lets see how the Gren does over seas at the end of the year and hopefully we can get it quick in 2023. 

Having ridden in both New Defender and Grenadier, id say the Defender feels far more 'removed' from the outside world when your in it. You feel quite isolated in the cabin, which will be better for long motorway journeys, but worse offroad. The Grenadier feels very much like a wrangler unlimited, just a little more refined.

Ipe

Local time
Reaction score
3DDiY said:
Lets see how the Gren does over seas at the end of the year and hopefully we can get it quick in 2023. 

That's what I'm hoping too

3DDiY

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Spjnr said:
Having ridden in both New Defender and Grenadier, id say the Defender feels far more 'removed' from the outside world when your in it. You feel quite isolated in the cabin, which will be better for long motorway journeys, but worse offroad. The Grenadier feels very much like a wrangler unlimited, just a little more refined.

I do wonder how the road noise is on the Grenadier. I do hate road noise on highways like in a Jeep or a cheap car with terrible insulation. I mean is it too much to ask for sound proofing? I don't want everyone and their mother listening to me playing Taylor Swift on blast. Thats the real reason : ) 

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
3DDiY said:
I do wonder how the road noise is on the Grenadier. I do hate road noise on highways like in a Jeep or a cheap car with terrible insulation. I mean is it too much to ask for sound proofing? I don't want everyone and their mother listening to me playing Taylor Swift on blast. Thats the real reason : ) 

I shouldn't think it'll be bad, never ridden in a new G wagon, but I'd think it would be something like that. Flat windscreens always make for some wind noise, but the jeeps removable roofs make them worse

Ipe

Local time
Reaction score
Spjnr said:

The F350 and my son's wrangler are both solid axle front and rear. The F350 rides pretty nicely. The wrangler hasn't been stock for a long time. Its got a 4" lift, a long arm suspension swap, coilovers up front, and rolls on 37's. Its so far from stock you'd need GPS to find your way back. It's great on the trail, but far from plush anywhere else. 

I'm hoping the Gren is much closer to G-Wagon than our built JK. 

Back
Top Bottom