The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hello from Germany / BW

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Let me first express my deep respect to Sir Jim for starting his Grenadier project in a time and an environment we all should believe _real_ 4x4s will never be available here in Europe!

My name is Jochen, Swabian but currently stuck in Heidelberg region. Despite being an electrical engineer, my passion are diesel engines and 4x4s.
With the beginning of the Grenadier project, it was immediately clear to me that getting up in the morning to work (among other power electronic stuff...) at test systems for HV-powertrains of EVs deserves a decent compensation: A Diesel Grenadier!

My first deposit was made in the very first hour possible, order placed beginning of July. Visited the test drive events in Munich and Welzheim. Still waiting for the contract to sign...

As a (so called by some people around me) "car messie" I already have (too?) many vehicles:
Passat Alltrack 240hp diesel
Land Rover Defender 90 TD5
VW T3 camper TD
Unimog 406 1970
Unimog 406 1975 (MOT pending...)
Land Rover Santana 88 Super Turbo (not located in Germany)
+ some more that, with some luck and time, will enter "active" life again.

I hope the Grenadier (2 seat utility) will feel well among these mates!

Greetings to a hopefully quickly growing community,
Jochen

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
Welcome!

Fantastic collection! Pics of the Unimogs?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Let me first express my deep respect to Sir Jim for starting his Grenadier project in a time and an environment we all should believe _real_ 4x4s will never be available here in Europe!

My name is Jochen, Swabian but currently stuck in Heidelberg region. Despite being an electrical engineer, my passion are diesel engines and 4x4s.
With the beginning of the Grenadier project, it was immediately clear to me that getting up in the morning to work (among other power electronic stuff...) at test systems for HV-powertrains of EVs deserves a decent compensation: A Diesel Grenadier!

My first deposit was made in the very first hour possible, order placed beginning of July. Visited the test drive events in Munich and Welzheim. Still waiting for the contract to sign...

As a (so called by some people around me) "car messie" I already have (too?) many vehicles:
Passat Alltrack 240hp diesel
Land Rover Defender 90 TD5
VW T3 camper TD
Unimog 406 1970
Unimog 406 1975 (MOT pending...)
Land Rover Santana 88 Super Turbo (not located in Germany)
+ some more that, with some luck and time, will enter "active" life again.

I hope the Grenadier (2 seat utility) will feel well among these mates!

Greetings to a hopefully quickly growing community,
Jochen
Welcome to the Forum. I'm surprised that as a 4x4 driver you have different tyres mounted on your Unimog?
How do you manage with your diesel vehicles in Heidelberg? Not only the meadows are extremely green there.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Welcome!

Fantastic collection! Pics of the Unimogs?
Thanks for your friedly reply!
See attached 2 pics, took some time to In fact, I don't have too many photos. The concept of documenting every singe far..., cough, cough, step in a life as is common today hasn't convinced me so far ;-)

Attachments

• Die Mogs 1.jpg
    Die Mogs 1.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG
    664.8 KB · Views: 36

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. I'm surprised that as a 4x4 driver you have different tyres mounted on your Unimog?
How do you manage with your diesel vehicles in Heidelberg? Not only the meadows are extremely green there.
Hi rovie,

maybe I'm more like a 4x4 enthusiast than what you would possibly call a hardcore "4x4 driver".
The tires were mounted when the Unimog came to me. Meanwhile, they have changed to MPT81. IMHO perfect for what I do.

Yeah, "green" sadly enough is not simply a colour any more, rather some form of mindset to elevate yourself over others and feel comfortable in the mainstream... Don't really want to get political here (nor do I elswhere).

I'm avoiding cities where I can. And in the rare cases where I had to pass "Umweltzone" signs I never noticed that any of my vehicles suddenly ran less smooth ;-) Have historic numberplates on the Unimogs anyway.

Cheers,
Jochen

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
How do you manage with your diesel vehicles in Heidelberg?
Historical vehicles are free to drive in so called "Green" areas.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi rovie,

maybe I'm more like a 4x4 enthusiast than what you would possibly call a hardcore "4x4 driver".
The tires were mounted when the Unimog came to me. Meanwhile, they have changed to MPT81. IMHO perfect for what I do.

Yeah, "green" sadly enough is not simply a colour any more, rather some form of mindset to elevate yourself over others and feel comfortable in the mainstream... Don't really want to get political here (nor do I elswhere).

I'm avoiding cities where I can. And in the rare cases where I had to pass "Umweltzone" signs I never noticed that any of my vehicles suddenly ran less smooth ;-) Have historic numberplates on the Unimogs anyway.

Cheers,
Jochen
Hi rovie,

Cheers,
Jochen
What type of Grenadier (SW, Utility) did you order and what colour?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
"green" sadly enough is not simply a colour any more, rather some form of mindset to elevate yourself over others and feel comfortable in the mainstream
I couldn't have said it better. (y)

Welcome!

btw: What is your location (name of the village/town). I am from Gross-Bieberau, about 60 Km from you.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Utility. That's what you wrote. Sorry.
Don't worry!

More complete spec: Utility, Britannia blue solid, white roof(yes!!), difflocks, 2nd battery + electric extension, safari windows, ladder, tow ball, seat heating (for me), park distance kit and other comfort stuff (for my colleagues who will eventually drive the Gren), fixing bars in the back. Steel 17'' + Bridgestone (surprisingly impressive traction in really wet + slippery conditions, test drive in Welzheim. The tires were not new!)

What I _don't_ have ordered: The side runners (don't like them optically) or the rock sliders (neither). I'm hoping for better intergrated/less visible aftermarket parts. What do you think?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
So that's 72 Km for the shortest route and 76 Km for the route through the Odenwald.
Perhaps we should meet, say, at Hirschhorn, Heppenheim or Ladenburg once with our Grenadiers - for a nice Coffee. ;-)

Do you already have a delivery month?

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So that's 72 Km for the shortest route and 76 Km for the route through the Odenwald.
Perhaps we should meet, say, at Hirschhorn, Heppenheim or Ladenburg once with our Grenadiers - for a nice Coffee. ;-)

Do you already have a delivery month?
Not even had the chance to sign the contract yet! Original delivery date was Nov 22, then Feb 23 and ??? now... Checking back every day, no change for weeks.

The route through the Odenwald would be imperative! Roads as small as possible. My TD5 likes them, too ;-)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Agree.
For my motorbike(s) as well.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I read about your Sommer Diesel here in the forum. ENVIOUS!!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. I love it too. :)

I mostly try to find single roads, even for longer distances. It's a sheer pleasure as you're mostly alone on such roads.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I read about your Sommer Diesel here in the forum. ENVIOUS!!
Thanks. I love it too. :)

I mostly try to find single roads, even for longer distances. It's a sheer pleasure as you're mostly alone on such roads.
I have often organised pleasure rides in the circle of our Land Rover friends. It was always important to me to find the smallest possible roads and paths. The unpaved roads and dirt tracks were the best.

Back
Top Bottom