The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Had to have vehicle towed today - editing title - found out not Ineos' fault!

Efatl

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
Received my fieldmaster 16 days ago. Has 800 miles on it and it wouldn't start today. Could be jumped the first time, after I got to the next location it wouldn't start. Had roadside assistance come, and they could not jump it. Then a power steering warning light came on during that process.

We could not get it in neutral for towing, even with talking to the dealership service department and putting the four-wheel-drive in neutral (and holding it there, as they stated) and going under the vehicle and loosening the neutral bolt near the transfer case.

Ran diagnostics with my code reader and a brake communication warning was the only code showing. Dealership is unable to look at it until Tuesday. It was just at the dealership two days ago for a few other things, including a weird knocking sound that they rectified saying that it was a loose hose clamp knocking against air-conditioning line. I would assume they did a software update if it was available? They did not tell me they did one though.

Bit annoyed but my husband is more so as he does not get how fun it is to drive these 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣- any thoughts? Did get lots of people questioning what kind of vehicle it was while I was waiting for the two separate roadside assistance crews to show up!! IMG_1622.jpegIMG_1609.jpegIMG_1608.jpegIMG_1615.jpeg

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
Received my fieldmaster 16 days ago. Has 800 miles on it and it wouldn't start today. Could be jumped the first time, after I got to the next location it wouldn't start. Had roadside assistance come, and they could not jump it. Then a power steering warning light came on during that process.

We could not get it in neutral for towing, even with talking to the dealership service department and putting the four-wheel-drive in neutral (and holding it there, as they stated) and going under the vehicle and loosening the neutral bolt near the transfer case.

Ran diagnostics with my code reader and a brake communication warning was the only code showing. Dealership is unable to look at it until Tuesday. It was just at the dealership two days ago for a few other things, including a weird knocking sound that they rectified saying that it was a loose hose clamp knocking against air-conditioning line. I would assume they did a software update if it was available? They did not tell me they did one though.

Bit annoyed but my husband is more so as he does not get how fun it is to drive these 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣- any thoughts? Did get lots of people questioning what kind of vehicle it was while I was waiting for the two separate roadside assistance crews to show up!! View attachment 7856442View attachment 7856443View attachment 7856444View attachment 7856445
Ugh sorry to hear this happened. Perplexing that the neutral bypass under the vehicle didn’t work - that’s concerning for those taking this out to the boonies with no access to a flatbed.

IMO if people ask about your rig around town I’d explain it’s an Ineos, but if they ask while it’s on the back of a flatbed, I’d call it a “Land Rover”. They’ll understand.

Efatl

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Will follow up when I hear from the dealership ...As for the positive, I would say the roadside assistance ineos has set up worked well today. They showed up in about 25 minutes for the battery jump attempt, and about 30 minutes for the tow.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The only software update for the US vehicles would be for the trailer module, so no software update would have been done...

The loss of communication code is an interesting one to see... Did it try to crank when you turn the key or nothing at all?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
Sorry to hear what has happened. Fortunately you sound like a true believer in this vehicle and as an early adopter, accept that there will be some unfortunate errors. More worryingly is the amount of unfortunate customers who have been unable to get their Grenadiers on recovery trucks without disconnecting prop shafts. Not meant to be this way. I suspect the problem will end up being a minor but irksome one.
Lovely colour by the way.

Efatl

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The only software update for the US vehicles would be for the trailer module, so no software update would have been done...

The loss of communication code is an interesting one to see... Did it try to crank when you turn the key or nothing at all?
Nothing at all

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score

Bit annoyed but my husband is more so as he does not get how fun it is to drive these 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣- any thoughts? Did get lots of people questioning what kind of vehicle it was while I was waiting for the two separate roadside assistance crews to show up!! View attachment 7856442View attachment 7856443View attachment 7856444View attachment 7856445
It might be worth cross-checking with any Active Warnings shown under Vehicle Information.
Could be as simple as a DoA battery. Early deliveries with this issue showed seemingly random faults.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
Ugh sorry to hear this happened. Perplexing that the neutral bypass under the vehicle didn’t work - that’s concerning for those taking this out to the boonies with no access to a flatbed.

IMO if people ask about your rig around town I’d explain it’s an Ineos, but if they ask while it’s on the back of a flatbed, I’d call it a “Land Rover”. They’ll understand.
When I first put my TC in tge neutral position I thought it was all the way in. When the tow truck tried to pull it the wheels weren’t free so I went back and it turned a whole lot more. You may not have had it turned in all the way even though it felt like it.

I wonder if that loosens up just like the rest of the case with use?

Last edited:

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but don't you have to tighten that bolt sending it up into the transmission and pushing the parking pin out of position?
Yes, you screw it clockwise. There is an arrow on the case showing the direction.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We live 700km from the dealer in Toronto. With so many reports of problems that result in disabled vehicles
I’m seriously considering cancelling my order. Roadside assistance only covers towing to 300 km.
You might be closer to the Boston dealer!

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
We live 700km from the dealer in Toronto. With so many reports of problems that result in disabled vehicles
I’m seriously considering cancelling my order. Roadside assistance only covers towing to 300 km.
We have two - a Fieldmaster and a TrialMaster. Combined mileage is approx 6,000 miles. We haven’t had an issue on either.

Of course, not many people post a thread when things operate as expected… Keep in mind that if you’re looking for reasons to cancel just about anything, the enthusiast forum is the place to go.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
I got to ask, how many because I'm only seeing 5 since the launch of the vehicle globally.

Efatl

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Well, don't cancel your order based on my situation.... this is going to be a very embarrassing post :rolleyes:

Since the keyhole is hard to see, I placed a ring around the outer edge, like you can find on amazon that go around typical start stop buttons as our key outer opening is the same size . I added it this past Thursday evening and it would not start Friday morning. Apparently by the addition around the key hole, the key could not go all of the way in in order for it to make contact enough to start the vehicle. Guessing the first time it started with the new ring on and jumping it, it was purely by chance that the key made the connection . I have not yet seen my car in person after this to really take a look at it, but it must be a minute amount of distance it is off as the car electrical all came on and I could turn the key fully, it just would not turn over. None of us caught it during the attempts to jump it (and believe it or not, I actually am mechanically inclined, but apparently not last week). I have been told I get the double dumba** award for this one (I agree!)

Power steering error came on during the jump process with road side assistance. Turns out the fuse is blown.... It is not a standard fuse and needs to come from europe so could take a week.

Moral of the story - Ineos does not work with a generic key ring that goes around a standard start stop button!

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That’s crazy and good to know. Sounds like all is good I hope.

Back
Top Bottom