The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier QM over Gladiator

Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Wow, I see they've upped the tow specs on the Gladiator. Maybe by using the full-float Dana 44 which they've only now thrown in to rob some thunder from the QM? Jeep could have done that before but didn't until now because there hasn't been any direct competitors for to the Gladiator (solid axles, BOF, F&R lockers). They're certainly screaming "Best in Class" at this point. Carraro also offers a FF rear so I imagine it's coming as an upgrade in a year or two on the Ineos products. But that's not the whole story.

The higher Gladiator tow rating is with the anemic old V6. It matches the petrol BMW in the Quartermaster for horse power but puts out 100 ft.-lbs. of torque less. I doubt the 3.6 will hold up long term to very heavy towing in ruff conditions despite it's naturally aspirated simplicity. It's probably fine on the highway but don't get yourself bogged. Jeep's diesel engine must be one heavy lump to cut the tow capacity by 1700 lbs! I didn't look to see what the 392 version (?) can tow.

Even if you call it a wash on the towing, the QM is still built heavier and that's a consideration for those not on the blacktop. I'm not in the market for a mid-sized pickup but my money would be on the QM for longevity. Then there's the issue of brake size and trailering software. Who's got the better ESC when the GCWR is high?
Yeah - the 3.6 can get bogged on the highway, especially at altitude (like when you are in the left lane and a semi pulls in front of you to pass another semi, and you have to quickly slow down; then you scramble for a deep downshift with the manual gearbox). Also - even though max horse power numbers are similar between the 3.6 and the B58 in the Gren - all the power and torque from the B58 is available at ~1,400 rpms, unlike the 3.6, which needs to be revved out past 3,500 rpms. Like you said, not only will the QM hold up to abuse much longer than the Gladiator, it will be a better towing experience with power available at much lower rpms.

Tinaxerler

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
I won't even try to be comprehensive here, nor do I know anything about pricing of either vehicle in your country, so this will just be my take on the major differences. I'm also not going to get into reliability, as it will take years for us to know as much about the Grenadier and QM as we do about the Jeep products.

QM advantages
1- Much better drive train. The 3.6 Pentastar in the Gladiator is not very powerful, and the 3.0 Eco-Diesel has not been very reliable. The BMW engines are better, and the German-produced ZF transmission is probably better quality than the ZF in the Gladiator, which is made in either the US or Mexico (I forget which). Both BMW engines provide good low-end torque (much better than the 3.6). The 3.0 Eco-Diesel in the Gladiator also has excellent low-end torque, but seems to have over-heating issues when under significant load.
2- Stronger frame, axles, running gear (e.g. tie rod, track bar, drag link), and a stronger body with beefier good-sealing doors.
3- More comfortable seats (at least for most people)
4- Quieter on the highway
5- I think the QM has a better suspension, but the Rubicon and Mojave versions of the Gladiator are both pretty good
6- The QM has a fixed roof, which may or may not be regarded as an advantage. To me it is an advantage, as it is more secure, stiffer, quieter, and the roof is stronger (i.e. can bear a heavier load).
7- The 2.5:1 transfer case is much better for dune bashing than the 4:1 transfer case in the Gladiator

Gladiator advantages
1- The 4:1 transfer case is much better for rock-crawling than the 2.5:1 transfer case in the QM
2- The gear selector in the Gladiator is much better for off-road driving than the BMW shifter in the QM
3- Some people love the removable roof panels - that's a personal preference (I prefer a fixed roof)
4- Easier to modify: (a) there are - as yet - no aftermarket gears for the Carraro axles in the QM, but you can get a tone of different gears for the Dana axles in the Gladiator, (b) multiple different lockers for Dana axles, (c) there must be close to a hundred companies making suspension lifts for the Gladiator, (d) you can get aftermarket tie-rods, drag links, track bars, etc. for the Gladiator, and lastly, (e) the Gladiator is basically engineered with the expectation that an owner will want larger tires.
5- Stock tires on a Rubicon or Mojave are 33-inches (stock on the QM are 31.6 inches - if it is the same as the Grenadier)
6- Disconnecting front sway bar (though it can have issues if repeatedly submerged)
7- The lockers engage and disengage better
8- Heated steering wheel as an option
9- Larger image for backup camera, and the backup camera comes on whenever you put the truck in reverse. The Grenadier's backup camera does not come on when the vehicle is in "off-road mode" - I would guess the same will be true in the QM.
10- If you buy one soon, the Gladiator won't have ADAS (again, this is a personal preference, but I do not like ADAS - you might like it)

Conclusion: the QM has a better drive train and is built more stoutly. These are huge advantages over the Gladiator.
:)

Back
Top Bottom