The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier on 35s at 2B Prototype tour in South Africa

grenadierguy

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
  Grenadier on 35s at 2B prototype tour in South Africa. Check these out. Thought I'd drop the link for those who don't do social media. I'm all about steels, but those rims with the Grenadier logo. 
1f60d.png

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
Nice find. Looks good but IMHO I think 33s still do it for me. Don’t like the tires bulging past the body. But at least we know it fits well. Interestingly the spare still seems to be a smaller size on steelies. Plus it’s a BFG instead of the Goodyear’s on the 4 corners. That alloy does look good though. Also..R1.4 million!! That’s $92K USD!! I was thinking they’d look at $75-80K USD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Paachi said:
Also..R1.4 million!! That’s $92K USD!! I was thinking they’d look at $75-80K USD
Taxes are up to 42% in Sth Africa...

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So fingers crossed that this is the in hand price and not before tax and delivery fees. ??

grenadierguy

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
Oh man, I'm trying not to speculate on price. 

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Good to see the tyres fit, but 33s will be the sweet spot I think, and skinnier ones at that. 

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
If it comes to the U.S. at that price, I'm out.

Local time
Reaction score
I won’t lie, the price is a concern. Coming up with the cash is one thing, But being able to justify it, while having to sacrifice elsewhere may make it cost prohibitive… If there are some decent leasing arrangements in the offing, it might make it more palatable.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Triple Seven userid=8864359 postid=1331713918]I won’t lie, the price is a concern. Coming up with the cash is one thing, But being able to justify it, while having to sacrifice elsewhere may make it cost prohibitive… If there are some decent leasing arrangements in the offing, it might make it more palatable.[/QUOTE]

Mad that in the UK it's going to be less than a 2.0l wrangler rubicon unlimited.

Feel like we're for once not getting the thin end of the wedge! 

Local time
Reaction score
It kind of demonstrates to me that they may not be hungry enough for the US market… I think that they’ve decided that their bread and butter is in Europe, particularly the UK, Australia, perhaps New Zealand and definitely parts of Africa, particularly South Africa. I don’t really know much about that side of the business, particularly when they don’t have their own dealerships. Time will tell!

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Triple Seven userid=8864359 postid=1331713961]It kind of demonstrates to me that they may not be hungry enough for the US market… I think that they’ve decided that their bread and butter is in Europe, particularly the UK, Australia, perhaps New Zealand and definitely parts of Africa, particularly South Africa. I don’t really know much about that side of the business, particularly when they don’t have their own dealerships. Time will tell![/QUOTE]

Maybe not initially. I guess the US import tariffs will hit the price hard, and being a low volume vehicle initially, maybe they feel the rest of world market is enough.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Didn't someone who went to the LA show that the show model was around 75K?   Since there is not that much model variation, one to expect the cost upgrade will be the accessories.  

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Okay - I might have better news on the price. The tax for new vehicles in South Africa is an astonishing 42% (Source: Reuters September 29, 2020).

Here are possible sales prices, plus 42%:

New vehicle sold for $65,000 + $27,300 in tax = $92,300
New vehicle sold for $70,000 + $29,400 in tax = $99,400
New vehicle sold for $75,000 + $31,500 in tax = $106,500

So it seems that the prices quoted by the three guys in South Africa who reviewed the Grenadier probably included local sales tax.

P.S. does anyone else notice that the color-scheme on this website makes it nearly impossible to read web addresses?

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think @Stu_Barnes got a feeling that it will land at $75-$80K USD when he went to the 2B prototype walk through in LA. Now I think thats a fair price but with several caveats

1. If you see comparable vehicles like now defunct LC200, new Defender, a fully loaded Bronco or Jeep JL, they all fall within +- 10K of $75K. So I dont think the pricing is that off. However, all these vehicles at these price points are fully loaded. If they start nickel & diming on options and if the OTD price lands at ~$100K then its too pricey at that point
2. The other thing to keep in mind is that given the breadth of capability (towing and payload, triple lockers, F&R solid axles, etc.) none of the vehicles mentioned above tick all the boxes stock. You have to spend a couple of grand or maybe in 5 digit $$$ to get to those levels of capability. So I dont think the $75K pricing is that crazy..yeah I would love it to be $60K..but honestly I dont see that happening
3. IMHO, for the US/ NA market they are not looking at marketing the Grenadier as a work vehicle. Cheap trucks or utility vans rule in the US as work vehicles. They are squarely targeting the overlanding craze. The booking numbers of ~3000 reflect that too

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I forgot to add. 

4. I would be quite disappointed if they decide to go with the dealer model and cant control the pricing. I have seen dealer greed and haughtiness first hand on the Jeep Gladiator, 4xE, Ford Bronco, Ford Mustang 350, Porsche 911s, Porsche Boxster/ Cayman GT models. They shamelessly ratchet up the price to insane levels and act all high and mighty about it. As far as I am concerned they can bugger off if thats the attitude they take towards customers and unfortunately for INEOS they will lose customers.

Local time
Reaction score
With respect to the G-Wagon, the 'New' Defender and other imported vehicles that have virtually no North American content, I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of the USD price of these vehicles is directly attributable to Import Duties or similar taxes. It would seem that we could probably anticipate a similar percentage on the Grenadier.

For Canadians, (myself included), our final price will most likely be based on the US price, hopefully the same way that Apple products are priced in Canadian dollars...(Pretty well the exact changeover from USD to CAD). Of course we can always pray that our dollar will go back up!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
One thing to control bloat is to work with a dealer to do a group buy.   The other thing that is bad is there won't be a Ineos dealer in every major city limiting competition.   I really think BMW will end up being the North America distributor.  Ineos set up US base in BMW backyard, they are working on a service agreement.  The number of Mini sold here US is dwindling.  You could put a Grenadier in share space with the Mini

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
ADVAW8S said:
One thing to control bloat is to work with a dealer to do a group buy.   The other thing that is bad is there won't be a Ineos dealer in every major city limiting competition.   I really think BMW will end up being the North America distributor.  Ineos set up US base in BMW backyard, they are working on a service agreement.  The number of Mini sold here US is dwindling.  You could put a Grenadier in share space with the Mini

I agree - I think BMW will end up selling the Grenadier in the U.S.

I am going to speculate wildly: I think the long-term plan - should the Grenadier be successful - is for BMW to buy Grenadier from Ineos, so that they will have a competitor in the "rugged-offroader / overlander" market. Currently, BMW has no competitor to the G-Wagon, Defender, Wrangler, and Bronco. I don't imagine Ineos staying in the vehicle-making business.

Back
Top Bottom