The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Green Hydrogen progress

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
It might work for long distances but if you need it within a certain range for your daily drive it still is not enough to convince the people to buy a hydrogen car.
But of course you are right. The trend is your friend

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
The problem with hydrogen is that it is such a tiny molecule it'll leak through just about anything that isn't a dense material (think along the lines of the helium balloons that you get for birthday parties that rapidly deflate) so you have to completely re-think what you know about gas plumbing and storage.

As an example, regular inexpensive elastomers are completely useless for seals/hoses and have to be substituted for metal crush seals and hard plumbing which are much more expensive to buy, install (properly!) and maintain. The hydrogen will also eat into a lot of solid materials that you'd normally use for storage tanks (including inexpensive metals) and make them brittle over time, making it a challenge to store and transport safely without spending big bucks. When you also consider that hydrogen systems will need a belt and braces approach to detecting/preventing leaks and mitigation to prevent fireball explosions in a crash it's a big jump from existing fuel technology. Ultimately it's a massively expensive option and until it's equally expensive to use DERV I think it's going to remain a bit of a novelty.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
The problem with hydrogen is that it is such a tiny molecule it'll leak through just about anything that isn't a dense material (think along the lines of the helium balloons that you get for birthday parties that rapidly deflate) so you have to completely re-think what you know about gas plumbing and storage.

As an example, regular inexpensive elastomers are completely useless for seals/hoses and have to be substituted for metal crush seals and hard plumbing which are much more expensive to buy, install (properly!) and maintain. The hydrogen will also eat into a lot of solid materials that you'd normally use for storage tanks (including inexpensive metals) and make them brittle over time, making it a challenge to store and transport safely without spending big bucks. When you also consider that hydrogen systems will need a belt and braces approach to detecting/preventing leaks and mitigation to prevent fireball explosions in a crash it's a big jump from existing fuel technology. Ultimately it's a massively expensive option and until it's equally expensive to use DERV I think it's going to remain a bit of a novelty.
100% agreed that explains my worries and the reason I do not want frequent Challenger accident on the road. - Burning Teslas /similar already common.
That is the reason if I think of feasible FC solutions then its Methanol based.
Still the production is not very high - and efficiency could be better but way simpler in fule than BEV and H2FC ..
I wonder why this approach is not very much liked.. even if some former Audi developer has already an operational solution. range 600km plus... w/o restrictions

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
One point that was presented in the Harry's Garage video with JCB H2. The use case for H2 in industrial applications and long haul train/trucking is a target because of the high runtime. We commute 1/2 hour each way in the morning and evening while the industrial equipment can be working 2 or 3 shifts straight through. Big difference in the amount of pollution savings, go after the big offenders first and then catch up with us little offenders.

Back
Top Bottom