The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Get off the turning knobs

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Who has disassembled the middle console already. How do i get behind all the turning knobs? I have sand in it. They scratch when i turn them. How do i get them off for cleaning?

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
I thought these panels, like the switch gear roof panels, were easily removable using the appropriate Allen head wrench on the visible screw heads? If not, “Houston, we have a problem”…

Skymark

Forum Donor
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
I thought these panels, like the switch gear roof panels, were easily removable using the appropriate Allen head wrench on the visible screw heads? If not, “Houston, we have a problem”
Although designed to look modular and retro, the center console is all one piece and a modern printed circuit board behind. I cannot lay hands on the image I saw of the panel unscrewed and removed but it does come off. The pictures in this earlier thread might be useful - Console one piece

Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
I've taken apart many vehicle dashboards through the years. stop at a Harbor Freight and grab some Plastic prying tools you can get a whole set for cheap. They are made to pry apart small dashboard and trim pieces without scratching parts. Once you remove the main face plate the knobs should pull straight off with a very small amount of pressure from behind the knob. pry and pull gently. They should push right back on with finger pressure.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Thanks! Is your description meant in general on how to get off knobs or is it Grenadier specific? Is it done here the same way as it usually works? (Hard pull and here it comes)

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Although designed to look modular and retro, the center console is all one piece and a modern printed circuit board behind. I cannot lay hands on the image I saw of the panel unscrewed and removed but it does come off. The pictures in this earlier thread might be useful - Console one piece
OMG WTF were they thinking? IMO That’s extremely deceptive on the part of Ineos…
So if just 1 of those controllers goes out, you have to replace that entire board?

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s me learning this (btw that is not me on the thumbnail pic):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU

Remember, Ralphie waited months to finally get his secret decoder ring…

My question for Ineos: So when 1 of these switches goes out when traveling through SubSahara Africa (or remote Alaska), how is one supposed to jury-rig a fix? And instead of the expense to replace 1 control, what’s the expense to replace that entire board?

I thought the whole point of this effort was to bring to market a simple machine that can be easily maintained for years. Why is it that every car manufacturer has to put a circuit board on everything? Now I understand why there is no vanity mirror on the sun visor - because they couldn’t figure out how to use a circuit board to operate it.

The recent post about an electric door lock going out on the vehicle is pretty concerning because it highlights the issue with the mindset of “a circuit board on every part” mentality. If you missed it - the dealer literally had to destroy the door panel to get to the part just to get the door open, because you apparently can't get access to open the door if that single electronic part inside the door fails. Ineos, does that right there not illustrate the insanity of this mentality?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom