The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel economy

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Yes, from all reports it's no where near what it used to be.
A grader hit that track for sure judging by videos I saw last year!
For us QLD folk, it's about 2700kms+ to get to Anne B highway - not sure I can find the time on the following weekend!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
A grader hit that track for sure judging by videos I saw last year!
For us QLD folk, it's about 2700kms+ to get to Anne B highway - not sure I can find the time on the following weekend!
The trip that Ronny D did a couple of years ago showed very little in the way of major corrugations but huge washouts (that we didn’t experience) from rain the had that closed the track (and Covid) for a long while.

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
Keen for an update when you get back.
I rated it one of the worse corrugated tracks in Oz when we did it in ‘13, but I’ve seen videos over the last few years indicating it’s nowhere near as bad now.
We’re considering doing it again next year or the year after and doing most of the side trips we didn’t manage to do last time.
I'm also not going the whole way, not enough time, just coming from the west and going to Voakes Hill and back

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm also not going the whole way, not enough time, just coming from the west and going to Voakes Hill and back
Ok, in the past that has been the easier stretch.
Are you coming home via the southern end of the Connie Sue? I’ve yet to do that end, only the northern stretch.
Envious.

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After 1300 miles I have just done my first full tank click to click. Leaving N.I. with a full tank and travelled over to Northumberland in woeful traffic. Spent the last few days round the borders doing holiday stuff and after refilling it worked out as 26 mpg. Diesel N1. Haven’t seen any other IGs yet but a lot of shiny NDs.

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After 1300 miles I have just done my first full tank click to click. Leaving N.I. with a full tank and travelled over to Northumberland in woeful traffic. Spent the last few days round the borders doing holiday stuff and after refilling it worked out as 26 mpg. Diesel N1. Haven’t seen any other IGs yet but a lot of shiny NDs.
I have now done 4,000 miles, the last tank full was 20.2mpg (mine is petrol) that I am happy with but towing a Silver Ghost and trailer with a combined weight of close to 3.5 tonnes for 540 miles last weekend, when I do the actual calculations rather than the computer it equates to 14.8mpg…

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have now done 4,000 miles, the last tank full was 20.2mpg (mine is petrol) that I am happy with but towing a Silver Ghost and trailer with a combined weight of close to 3.5 tonnes for 540 miles last weekend, when I do the actual calculations rather than the computer it equates to 14.8mpg…
That's about what I would have expected and is consistent with similar figures from a V8 petrol LC200- according to an extended family member who uses the Land Cruiser to tow a 3200 kg off road caravan.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's about what I would have expected and is consistent with similar figures from a V8 petrol LC200- according to an extended family member who uses the Land Cruiser to tow a 3200 kg off road caravan.
This is where Diesel towing (hopefully) sits in a much better position after say 5-10K km.. The Gren is a wind shield, full height, in two parts and towing a 2nd large brick behind will add up to a lot of wind pressure.

Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
Mixture of motorway and country roads from Cornwall to Kent. Average consumption: 10,6 liters/100 km. I am satisfied.

Do you have the petrol or diesel? Apologies if you already mentioned it.

Local time
Reaction score
Mixture of motorway and country roads from Cornwall to Kent. Average consumption: 10,6 liters/100 km. I am satisfied.

That's only 22.2mpg, i'd be grumpy at that.
Hopefully someone will be along to chip the engine soon (I guess when warranty expires).

My Hilux did around 25/26 mpg (native) but with it's fitted 'chip' I get around 37 mixed and over 40 on motorways (9.5ltr/100km native and 6ltr/100 on motorways).
Those are unladen and not towing ...

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully someone will be along to chip the engine soon (I guess when warranty expires).

My Hilux did around 25/26 mpg (native) but with it's fitted 'chip' I get around 37 mixed and over 40 on motorways (9.5ltr/100km native and 6ltr/100 on motorways).
Some of you guys really need to sort out you mpg’s. Now Miki, I can see you are from Scotland, so you should be converting the L/100km to IMP gallons, not US gallons. 10.6L/100km is 26.6 IMP mpg. However it is 22.2 US mpg.

The “Mericans“ are throwing a spanner in the works.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My diesel returns 27 miles per imperial gallon when driven carefully. Given some time and fettling, I think 30 mpg (imp) is feasible.

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I got 28.7mpg on a recent 30 mile run on a slightly congested A road. Average speed was mid-40s. Driving a diesel Trialmaster with 2,500 miles on the clock

Fab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:23 AM
Reaction score

Wow, what chip is that?

Back
Top Bottom