The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel economy

Nguni

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
We must drive cars here more efficiently than the Euro-pee-annes.
They (non specific) all claim around 12 to 15 litre per 100Km which is between 18 and 23 MPG (15 to 19 MP(US)G)

I don't have a Grenny but my 1996 Defender 300tdi manages 26MPG (11L/100), a modern engine should surely match that ?
Mind you, I'd probably be zooming around during the honeymoon period, I did when I fitted a VNT turbo to the Landy and fuel went down to around the 22 MPG mark.
But your 300TDI weighs about 2000kg empty ! The Grenadier is like having a Landy with 8.5 people on board before you get in ( 2700 kg ) BTW both my 300TDI's generally got 11 L /100km

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But your 300TDI weighs about 2000kg empty ! The Grenadier is like having a Landy with 8.5 people on board before you get in ( 2700 kg ) BTW both my 300TDI's generally got 11 L /100km
I found my old Defender 130 TDI with heavy steel dropside tray, steel canopy, all my water and fuel and camping gear was a shade under 3000kg setting out on a trip. It didn’t seem to make a lot of difference to its economy - normally around 10.5 or 11/100km. Best I ever got was a shade under 10 with a huge tailwind on tar, and worst around 12.5 towing a Hi-Lux with a camper van over most sandhills across the Simpson. Unless off bitumen, I always run my tyres at high pressures 42 psi front and 50 psi rear (due to GVM) and found it kept the tyres cooler, they wore less and no doubt helped economy.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I found my old Defender 130 TDI with heavy steel dropside tray, steel canopy, all my water and fuel and camping gear was a shade under 3000kg setting out on a trip. It didn’t seem to make a lot of difference to its economy - normally around 10.5 or 11/100km. Best I ever got was a shade under 10 with a huge tailwind on tar, and worst around 12.5 towing a Hi-Lux with a camper van over most sandhills across the Simpson. Unless off bitumen, I always run my tyres at high pressures 42 psi front and 50 psi rear (due to GVM) and found it kept the tyres cooler, they wore less and no doubt helped economy.
That’s interesting. I was wondering about optimal pressure to manage tyre temps.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I was wondering about optimal pressure to manage tyre temps.
It’s the same as many things, compromises - the higher pressures you have = less sidewall flex = less heat generation and better fuel economy, but… possibly less comfort, more (centre) tyre wear, more chance of sharp stone punctures etc. Just a matter of finding the right combo for you, the vehicle and the conditions.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
One. Theory on this is that when off-roading you are not always level so they need enough fuel in the tank after the red warning so the car does not cut out despite the position . ( had it happen in my patrol ) this is the only reason i can think of them doing it this way .

Another observation the Gren economy gauge tops at 30L/100km under full acceleration. Once hitting its top speed it will do 25-26L/100km (been told by a friend in Mexico) . Not sure how accurate that is . This is where we need the scientists who live in Germany to investigate on the Autobahn.

:)
It is around 20 litres/100 km at full speed.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
Saturday Evening stop the Grenny after 510 km driving in two days with Zero Range to drive, at the end I fill up 76.5l Petrol….. 0km range and still for nearly 90km petrol to drive.
I helped my son and his girlfriend moving to a new flat, towing full trailer, motorway, city, country road, so 15l/100km consumption was not soooo bad.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:11 PM
Reaction score
Saturday Evening stop the Grenny after 510 km driving in two days with Zero Range to drive, at the end I fill up 76.5l Petrol….. 0km range and still for nearly 90km petrol to drive.
I helped my son and his girlfriend moving to a new flat, towing full trailer, motorway, city, country road, so 15l/100km consumption was not soooo bad.
That's about 15.7 US mpg. Towing a full trailer I'd be content with that - I'll gladly welcome more, but in my heart of hearts it's what I expected and can deal with. My Raptor got 18 highway, my LC80 for about 9, and 15-17 for the IG highway is what it is. That might sound flippant - especially since I benefit from US gas prices - but it's a 2.7 tonne brick with knobbly tires.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score
Diesel Trialmaster on the stock KO2 - So after 2000km I have as measured by actual fuel fill ups : 11L / 100km pretty much on the dot or 9km / L.
I was at 10.5L / 100km until the 1300km mark but the last 700km has been more urban road than highway.

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_3385.jpeg
As you can see from the photograph 75 miles averaging 27.9mpg. (Diesel on KO2 tyres)
Lots of gradient changes and an average speed just over 30mph. Similar journey when engine had only done a few miles is approx 3mpg better , I assume as things bed in.
This is what I had hoped for… very impressed.

MarcA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have recently done 4500km of mostly highway driving at between 90 and 110 km/hr towing a 2.6 tonne off road camper trailer (Lifestyle Reconn R4) with our Trialmaster with all the fruit (incl. winch and bull bar) At those speeds on days out on Australia’s wide open plains we averaged just under 16 litres/100 km. On days with a lot of climbing (Toowoomba to Glen Innes or in the Snowy Mountains) this dropped to 18. I don’t think this is too bad considering we are approaching 6 tonne combined when loaded. I was running 43 psi front and 49 psi rear on 18” KO2’s.
We’ve done about 7500 km now and the car is noticeably more responsive to throttle inputs.

MarcA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have recently done 4500km of mostly highway driving at between 90 and 110 km/hr towing a 2.6 tonne off road camper trailer (Lifestyle Reconn R4) with our Trialmaster with all the fruit (incl. winch and bull bar) At those speeds on days out on Australia’s wide open plains we averaged just under 16 litres/100 km. On days with a lot of climbing (Toowoomba to Glen Innes or in the Snowy Mountains) this dropped to 18. I don’t think this is too bad considering we are approaching 6 tonne combined when loaded. I was running 43 psi front and 49 psi rear on 18” KO2’s.
We’ve done about 7500 km now and the car is noticeably more responsive to throttle inputs.
Sorry - forgot to say it’s a diesel

Back
Top Bottom