The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fron Newark, UK

Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have ordered a Trialmaster, Ineos website states an October build.

I have to say I am having serious reservations, mainly down to the MPG.

What do you guys all think?

Oh car history and needs - varied.

Currently drive an S63 AMG Coupe, Octavia VRS. Wife has an EV MINI. Just sold a GR Yaris and Nomad, which made way for the S63. Also rather like an F-Pace SVR or F-Type. Had a Defender 90 (10 years ago for 4 years). Other 4x4's Touereg, X5, so nothing serious apart from a 6R4. 

Attachments

• F916E8F6-DDA1-4719-8155-85F527AFA3CF.png
    F916E8F6-DDA1-4719-8155-85F527AFA3CF.png
    821.9 KB · Views: 10

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Nomad300 userid=9017022 postid=1332893249]Hi All,

Currently drive an S63 AMG Coupe, Octavia VRS. Wife has an EV MINI. Just sold a GR Yaris and Nomad, which made way for the S63. Also rather like an F-Pace SVR or F-Type. Had a Defender 90 (10 years ago for 4 years). Other 4x4's Touereg, X5, so nothing serious apart from a 6R4. [/QUOTE]

Welcome Nomad!  Ah yes... well it's all a give-and-take with design.  It's like laws... no one set suits everyone.  The niche Ineos has identified definitely involves designing a legitimately thickly-metalled and thus heavy rig, and MPG just can't be amazing with that as a major point of importance. I think the biggest thing we all gotta do is look deeply into the niche and decide if that's the rig we want in our lives, and if we're willing to take the cons for the pros. The niche is basically bringing back old, truly rugged frames, bodies and suspensions that rarely if ever break despite driving the hell out of them for decades.  It's a true utility rig while the few remaining utility rigs have been trading utility for luxury. Being a modern utility rig though, it sure does look nice inside and out.  I know it's a hard decision because in truth, how many of us will use the rig to it's full purpose?  That said, look at the retention of value the old utility rigs have decades later... they're practically collector's items that are coveted. This is seen by many as possibly the last true utility rig in it's format, but with modern comforts, no rust, 3D self-repair schematics that all comes with a community of great folks who miss the days of old when men were men and rigs were rigs. I think there is a high chance these will be one of the last, if not The Last true, gas/diesel powered utility rigs before they're regulated out of existence.  They're practically collector's items upon delivery... if all goes well enough.  

Either way, glad to have you here!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
> because in truth, how many of us will use the rig to it's full purpose?

The question is, what the full purpose is? For me, I count enjoyment of life as an important purpose. I will never crawl over rocks as in my age this is way to stressful. I will likely never wade through 80 cm deep water. And I will for sure not drive through Africa any more in my life.

The full purpose is for me and my wife, to drive through Europe: Sicily, Sardinia, Protugal, Spain, Greece, the Alps and the entire south of the continent. And Iceland could as well be a big adventure.  As I said: joie de vivre.

With that definition, we will for sure "use the rig to it's full purpose". :)

Short story: Some years ago, I bought my dream of an RC transmitter for RC-airplanes: A "Jeti DS-24". This is a hell of a transmitter. I proudly showed it to my oldest friend, Peter, an RC plane flyer since 45 years. And I had to admit, that I had spent all that money on something I would never be able take full advantage of.

So I said: "TBH, I actually, don't need the thing at all."
Then he asked me: "Why did you buy it then?"
And I answered:  "Because I like it so much and enjoy it. I just think it's great."

His answer was: "But then you need it!"

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=emax userid=8900646 postid=1332895312]> because in truth, how many of us will use the rig to it's full purpose?

The question is, what the full purpose is?[/QUOTE]

Explore with low chances of breaking down... and look good as you do? 

Get one of the last husky rigs before regulations shut them down and trade them in for electric vehicles until the end of the world?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
very well said Ferrugenfish & emax.

I don't think one has to intend to use an asset close to or at 100% of its capacity in order to justify it's purchase for the reasons stated.

We have all justified to ourselves the reasons why we either need or want a Grenadier, many I suspect because of an emotional bond linked to the past.

I suspect few owners will ever drive it to it's off road capacity (partly because it is probably over engineered) for a variety of reasons.

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier has allowed me to buy into dreams, aspirations and retirement plans. With its arrival I feel motivated to explore and travel far abroad. I'd love to start with NZ, followed by Southern Africa, Europe, North and South America.  

My wife mentioned a cheaper option being the jeep wrangler and my dreams quickly evaporated lol

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Love the conversation, thoughts and words that make me so excited.

My Grenadier has been with me now for nearly five years like a meal to a dog he enjoys the thought of it more than it but then can rest easy once he has it.

I have written some words to describe A Grenadier.

Click on it to download.

Attachments

• A Grenadier copy.pdf
    245.4 KB · Views: 14

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why do we all aspire to this
Longwheelbase Terrain Dominator......
Because we're a " Long Time Dead"

We just need one , end of

Local time
Reaction score
Could an Admin delete my account as the function has clearly been disabled? Thanks

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Max userid=8980938 postid=1332900573]Love the conversation, thoughts and words that make me so excited.

My Grenadier has been with me now for nearly five years like a meal to a dog he enjoys the thought of it more than it but then can rest easy once he has it.

I have written some words to describe A Grenadier.

Click on it to download.[/QUOTE]

That's great Max - I love it.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
4:56 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Nomad300 userid=9017022 postid=1332966875]Could an Admin delete my account as the function has clearly been disabled? Thanks[/QUOTE]

For future reference click on your avatar on the top right and then select settings, scroll to the bottom and hit the big red button next to the text -

"Once you delete your account, there is no going back. Please be certain."

And this should work, if anyone else has problems then please post in the Forum Q&A section.

Topic closed

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Nomad300 userid=9017022 postid=1332893249]Hi All,

Currently drive an S63 AMG Coupe, Octavia VRS. Wife has an EV MINI. Just sold a GR Yaris and Nomad, which made way for the S63. Also rather like an F-Pace SVR or F-Type. Had a Defender 90 (10 years ago for 4 years). Other 4x4's Touereg, X5, so nothing serious apart from a 6R4.

Welcome Nomad! Ah yes... well it's all a give-and-take with design. It's like laws... no one set suits everyone. The niche Ineos has identified definitely involves designing a legitimately thickly-metalled and thus heavy rig, and MPG just can't be amazing with that as a major point of importance. I think the biggest thing we all gotta do is look deeply into the niche and decide if that's the rig we want in our lives, and if we're willing to take the cons for the pros. The niche is basically bringing back old, truly rugged frames, bodies and suspensions that rarely if ever break despite driving the hell out of them for decades. It's a true utility rig while the few remaining utility rigs have been trading utility for luxury. Being a modern utility rig though, it sure does look nice inside and out. I know it's a hard decision because in truth, how many of us will use the rig to it's full purpose? That said, look at the retention of value the old utility rigs have decades later... they're practically collector's items that are coveted. This is seen by many as possibly the last true utility rig in it's format, but with modern comforts, no rust, 3D self-repair schematics that all comes with a community of great folks who miss the days of old when men were men and rigs were rigs. I think there is a high chance these will be one of the last, if not The Last true, gas/diesel powered utility rigs before they're regulated out of existence. They're practically collector's items upon delivery... if all goes well enough.

Either way, glad to have you here!
[/QUOTE]
when will you get your hands on your one to check mpg ?

Back
Top Bottom