The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fitting a Lumbar roll. Seat tilt.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone dismantled a seat yet? I’d be interested in pics.
Whilst I have found the grenadier comfortable to drive and have now done about 3000 miles in it I would still like more lumbar support than the seats provide. This may just be a peculiarity of mine as most people don’t mention it. I have a historic back injury and associated nerve damage and I think I’d prefer some extra support. I know you can get cheap strap on or stick on rolls but I’d prefer an internal adjustable version.
In my defender I had an aftermarket inflatable one that fitted inside the seat. It worked perfectly well, but that defender seats are pretty easy to open up to fit the roll. Not so sure about the IG ones.
Has anyone had a recall seat apart before?
I’ll carefully strip it blind if I have to but any info gratefully received.

I am also interested in tilting the seat back slightly to raise the front part under the back of the knees. Any aftermarket kits for that yet? Again I’ll fabricate something if I have to.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
I also have back problems... I've taken to putting a small rolled towel in a large sock like a sausage, tied at each end with "camo cord" and looping the cord around the headrest supports so that the "sausage" sits horizontally in the small of my back. On advice from a physiotherapist, I now make a real effort to sit straight (when I remember!), rather than "lounge" in the seat. A benefit is that I am more alert as well :rolleyes:
Recaro might have some ideas as well as to what might be done...who knows, it might lead to a new offering to Ineos!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
We have gone over this one a few times but I am stunned when watching many of the reviews of the Grenadier just how bad many of the seating positions are and the handling of the steering wheel.
I think a lot of the comments about the Grenadier footrest came from poor driver seating position rather than vehicle ergonomics.
So many get in, crank the seat down and back, like they are driving a sedan or race car.
I have done a couple of advanced driver training courses and a couple of 4WD courses and seating position is extremely important, but also extremely different.
Every person below would end up with a sore back, neck and shoulders on a long drive.
On a recent work advanced driving track day they had to correct everyone's seating and steering wheel hold before they could start
For me they tried to change my grip as I keep my thumbs outside the wheel.
I declined.
One guy suffered badly from a bad back when driving and by the time they corrected his posture he had no more troubles.

1692226268635.png1692226373233.png1692226598045.png1692226634982.png1692226666810.png

Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
My seat is adjusted appropriately for a track day and it is different than when I am leisurely driving down the highway.
The question was about seat adjustability or possible enhancements to the seat.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
Buzz overland have fitted completely different seats which look like a Recaro product. Whether they have lumbar adjustment, I'm not sure. If you don't find the seats comfortable enough, perhaps you can change them out too.

Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
Perhaps a good upholstery shop can install lumbar or whatever else after purchase.
Has to be cheaper than all new seats idk

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
I have a lot of back problems myself and that's why I drive a Volvo.
even before making the IG reservation I asked two official Recaro upholsterers near me if they could open the seats to insert a lumbar support and the answer from both was that seats with glued back shells are very complex to close. you never know what work you're getting into [€€€].
For this reason, if it is necessary to insert a lumbar support, I will consider buying M&M or Beesdam seat covers and attach / sew the support internally to those.
I think it's the best and least invasive solution. It then allows you to place it exactly where you want it

https://italian.alibaba.com/product...bar-support-1600316779907.html?fromMSite=true

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
lumbar support fitted

Attachments

• IMG_3655.jpeg
    IMG_3655.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg