The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Exhaust Gas Temp displayed?

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
I plan on towing with my Quartermaster when it arrives. With Engine temp, gear box and diff temps, Is there an Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) display anywhere? Surely there is a temp sensor in the exhaust with all the other sensors in this vehicle. EGT's are invaluable when towing, and want to know if I need to buy aftermarket.
Cheers,
Ken

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
I have been looking for EGT. No luck so far. There are some sensors down on the exhaust, probably one for the DPF.

I also want PSI on the turbo. I may need to install a Redarc gauge in time if I cannot find an alternative. I will need to wait for 4X4 Concepts to make a Grenadier Pillar Pod.

I had 3 gauges monitoring 9 things on the Patrol, back when Autron made the gauges (subsequently Autron sold out to Redarc and Redarc just changed the name on the gauges. SAAS also make similar gauges).
redarc-gauge-png.7849072

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Something like a scan gauge or similar that plugs and receives data off the OBDII port. There will be multiple exhaust temps and pressure sensors for the dpf to gain data from. There a few single OBD gauges like from Banks that can scroll through and record data.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Something like a scan gauge or similar that plugs and receives data off the OBDII port. There will be multiple exhaust temps and pressure sensors for the dpf to gain data from.
Apparently Scangauge Is not showing it either - at least for now. Alas we must wait.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I plan on towing with my Quartermaster when it arrives. With Engine temp, gear box and diff temps, Is there an Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) display anywhere? Surely there is a temp sensor in the exhaust with all the other sensors in this vehicle. EGT's are invaluable when towing, and want to know if I need to buy aftermarket.
Cheers,
Ken
The engine oil temp in the Grenadier responds quickly to how hard the engine is working, so I have been using that instead of EGT and Boost for the time being - it better than nothing.

For just the car (no van) below 80kph,engine oil temperatures often around 92 to 95C. Over 100 kph it can be between 97 and 103C, but climb as high as 110C. Temp is still Green at 110C. Once the hill or long incline goes the temp often drops quickly to the bottom of the range. Driving for an extended period can cause it to go a bit higher due to a heat build up.

EDIT: engine oil temp only on the diesel model.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I just added to the list for improvements for the Infotainment Unit. We should be able to EGT and Turbo Boost on the display screen. Why must we buy a gauge or Scangauge when it can be put onto the Infortainment Display Unit?
It is easy enough for all parameters to be posted as read only onto the dash display through the CAN and give live data. The screen on the Grenadier is likely to be the gateway module that receives most of the cars data. It's car manufacturers that choose not to do it because of the issues that are caused by most operators limited understanding of the data.
It is very common now for all the read only operating data in construction equipment to be accessed by the operator and some machines will show parameters and daily checks as red or green check marks or crosses which can be very helpful for a tech without diagnostic tools when a breakdown occurs.

Local time
Reaction score
I have been looking for EGT. No luck so far. There are some sensors down on the exhaust, probably one for the DPF.

I also want PSI on the turbo. I may need to install a Redarc gauge in time if I cannot find an alternative. I will need to wait for 4X4 Concepts to make a Grenadier Pillar Pod.

I had 3 gauges monitoring 9 things on the Patrol, back when Autron made the gauges (subsequently Autron sold out to Redarc and Redarc just changed the name on the gauges. SAAS also make similar gauges).
redarc-gauge-png.7849072
Thanks for this. I do like the combined Boost and ECT. Don't really want my scan tool plugged in all the time to monitor things. Will look into this gauge, and possibly a HUD for speed to mount in front of the warning cluster

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I do like the combined Boost and ECT. Don't really want my scan tool plugged in all the time to monitor things. Will look into this gauge, and possibly a HUD for speed to mount in front of the warning cluster
I quickly adjusted to speed being on the centre console. I have abandoned the idea of a HUD for now.

Between Redarc and SAAS you can get almost any gauge configuration you can think of. Even better if INEOS adds EGT and Boost to the console display data.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds good. I also have a Tesla Model 3, and am used to the speed in the centre screen. I was just thinking a single gauge in front of the steering wheel would look a bit odd. Might have to find something else to monitor!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
You can get the three (from memory) EGT temps from a Bluetooth dongle hooked up to Torque Pro (OBD 2) app available on your app store

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can get the three (from memory) EGT temps from a Bluetooth dongle hooked up to Torque Pro (OBD 2) app available on your app store
That means INEOS can put them on the Infotainment Unit Display, even better.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They can, but I can't see it happening
We can ask, ask and ask again. :) EGT and Boost are vital to towing, one of the Grenadier's strong points.

Worse case is I install a Redarc gauge and get it anyway. Autron Gauges (now Redarc) were the last thing I did in the Patrol build. I thought they may have been an indulgence when I did it. But within 2 weeks it was clear it was the best money I spent on the whole build. Amazing feedback and insight on what was going on in the engine and understanding the car's overall performance as conditions changed.

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
EGTs need to be constantly monitored when towing or heavily loaded with a diesel vehicle. I wouldn't want to have to scroll away from other info I need on the central display just to check my numbers. I like both hands on the wheel when pulling long mountain grades. I use a dual gauge like these...

...for combined boost and EGT readings. Other than a tap on your instrument lighting fuse for nightime visibility, the EGT part of these gauges are completely passive. Having the boost levels visible alongside lets me know just how much to lift my foot to keep temps under control.

I'm sure Ineos has programmed in aggressive de-fueling if the numbers climb too high so there may be nothing to worry about. And, of course, we don't get the B57 here in the States so my advice is cheap.

Back
Top Bottom