The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Event Data Recorder (EDR, "black box") or other recording devices in the Grenadier?

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:18 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know the state of EDRs in Canada/USA? e.g. legislation or requirements?

Based on INEOS possibly being more agressive than required with ADAS features (several threads on this), I'm just wondering if they're also installing other data collection devices that owners may want to know about.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:18 AM
Reaction score
No, No big brother in the car. This not a requirement in Europe.
This is not even allowed under the privacy protection rules.
Really? I thought that the blackboxes will become mandatory within the EU in the next time.

I found this text to be a brief conclusion. Below our not German speaking/reading friends can find the deepl translation.

The EU has issued new regulations for new cars from 2024. From then on, certain driver assistance and safety systems must be included in newly developed vehicles. Find out what black boxes and immobilisers are all about here.

⏰ Briefly summarised

- Device for alcohol-sensitive immobiliser
- The cruise control intervenes in the event of speeding offences
- Accidents when reversing should be avoided
- "Black box" for road traffic is introduced
- Human error as the cause of road accidents

To make driving even safer, a number of new driver assistance systems will be mandatory for new cars from mid-2024. New EU regulations that make driver assistance systems mandatory have been in place since mid-2022. You can find out what else will change for drivers in 2024 in our article.

Mandatory driver assistance systems from 2024

Device for installing an alcohol-sensitive immobiliser

A standardised interface will be mandatory under the new EU regulations from July 2024. In future, all new cars will have the option of installing an unspecified control device if necessary. So for the time being, you won't have to blow into a tube before every journey - but it remains to be seen how this obligation will be extended.

Speed assistant
The speed assistant called Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA) must also be installed from 2024. It recognises speed limits and warns the driver visually and acoustically if the speed limit is exceeded. The vehicle can also be automatically slowed down to the maximum speed. Important to know: ISA cannot be switched off permanently. This can be annoying in the event of problems with traffic sign recognition or incorrect map data.

Drowsiness and attention warning system

This driver assistance system is already installed in many new cars, but in some cases you have to look for it in the list of optional extras and pay extra. From July 2024, every new car must be equipped with a drowsiness detection system with visual and acoustic warnings.

Emergency brake lights
Emergency brake lights are also known as adaptive brake lights. This system is helpful to show other road users that you are about to brake abruptly.
Emergency brake assist
If a hazardous situation is detected, the emergency brake assist brakes the vehicle automatically - or at least supports the braking process. LiDAR sensors often help to identify objects in the traffic flow. This driver assistance system has been mandatory since July 2022 in order to obtain type approval. From July 2024, emergency brake assist will then be mandatory for new registrations of cars and light commercial vehicles.

Reversing assistant
Many drivers should be pleased about this obligation. An assistance system designed to support you when reversing will become mandatory in 2024. The main aim of this is to make it easier to recognise other road users behind the vehicle. Until now, this feature was optional for many manufacturers, but now it will be standard.

Active lane departure warning
The lane departure warning system is another popular equipment feature that is now standard. Until now, the active lane departure warning system was usually only found in mid-range and luxury vehicles. It is now mandatory for all vehicles and works from a speed of 60 km/h.

Black box
You probably only know this term from aeroplanes - but this assistance system works in a similar way. From 2024, this accident data memory will be required as standard in new cars. Various parameters are stored anonymously to ensure better accident investigation. Should an accident occur, the memory can be analysed and it will be easier to reconstruct exactly what happened.
Extended head impact protection

Accident protection for pedestrians and cyclists is to be improved. The crash test requirements will be tightened, particularly in areas where head impacts normally occur. This should contribute to increased passive safety and better personal protection of the car body.

Precise tyre pressure monitoring
Tyre pressure monitoring is a useful feature as long as it works smoothly and incredibly annoying if it does not. It has been required for type approval since 2022 and will also be required for new registrations from 2024. It informs the driver of the existing tyre pressure with a corresponding display or warning.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Really? I thought that the blackboxes will become mandatory within the EU in the next time.

I found this text to be a brief conclusion. Below our not German speaking/reading friends can find the deepl translation.

The EU has issued new regulations for new cars from 2024. From then on, certain driver assistance and safety systems must be included in newly developed vehicles. Find out what black boxes and immobilisers are all about here.

⏰ Briefly summarised

- Device for alcohol-sensitive immobiliser
- The cruise control intervenes in the event of speeding offences
- Accidents when reversing should be avoided
- "Black box" for road traffic is introduced
- Human error as the cause of road accidents

To make driving even safer, a number of new driver assistance systems will be mandatory for new cars from mid-2024. New EU regulations that make driver assistance systems mandatory have been in place since mid-2022. You can find out what else will change for drivers in 2024 in our article.
No, I don't think so..... if politicians want to kill there carrier... than they have to do this. At least here in Belgium. This would be a discussion for at least the following 10 years (Two terms of a government) They are not even allowed to take a picture from you to see if you are having your cellphone in your hand. That's already a discussion that goes on for a while. Some want this, others will say, there is no common ground for this from the people. So it will be blocked.
Of cours, adaptive cruise control and assistance systems are already in place and are useful. But a device that locks your car when you had consumed some alcohol and prevent you from driving or this blackbox that records everything you do.... Or an automatic limiter on your speed when the car detects that you ar driving to fast? A warning yes, but autonomous interfering? To dangerous.
Most electrical cars actually already have this (Tesla etc), But it's not active. And they can't use it against you due to privacy regulations. (at this moment)

Edit - Just add this extra comment. What I found is that the text you where translating is probably only for professional drivers (Trucks and coaches) There it will be mandatory to have the possibility to add this alcohol slot from 2024, and the recorder (Black Box) from 2029. But of cours, Trucks and coaches are another catogory as they are used to do your job. So not sure if they will also demand this asap in private cars.

Last edited:

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
Manufacturers have had the black boxes in vehicles as a necessity since airbags got their start. Essentially, the simplest are accelerometers that record what you were doing in five minute loops. They also record electrical signals.
They started as 4 channel, now they are 8 or 16 channel recorders.
I’m not really sure anymore what all they record. Again 5 minute loops.

they are a defensive device that protects the manufacturer.
it cost millions for a manufacturer to defend against lawsuits. Now (really for many years) they can pull the data box out from under the rear seat, and show your behavior, and the five minutes prior to airbag deployment, and you can’t really argue whether or not your accelerator stuck, or your brakes failed, or any of the other common arguments people make when they get in a crash.
but all it’s not a loss!

You can also pay anyone who has the subscription to the data link system to read your codes, and when your insurance company argues with you, you have it in black-and-white.

In my case, the rear connection between the electrical system and engine management module was jarred loose in a minor fender bender.
Shutting off fuel delivery, lighting, wipers, etc.
The adjuster looked at the damage and said that it didn’t happen in the accident, that they were pre-existing conditions, and they wouldn’t pay for the repairs.

Data module recorded the entire event. we had the time that the accident was called in (from phone recording data)and we had the five minutes of data that showed the number of g‘s generated when I backed into the guy in the parking lot, and the recorder also showed that the electrical connection to the rear of the vehicle stopped sending signal at the moment of impact.

Thus making the accident investigator and the adjuster from the insurance company immediately change their opinion on what damage was caused in the accident and what was not.
A good $75.00 spent.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Manufacturers have had the black boxes in vehicles as a necessity since airbags got their start. Essentially, the simplest are accelerometers that record what you were doing in five minute loops. They also record electrical signals.
They started as 4 channel, now they are 8 or 16 channel recorders.
I’m not really sure anymore what all they record. Again 5 minute loops.
Of cours, lovely to have this in case of a discussion with the insurance company and get the repairs done. But a blackbox that for example can't be used by the police forces to give you a penalty for speeding a few days ago, that goes a bit to far (For private situations of cours, there we have the laws for) But for example in my truck, I can be punished 30 days back if I drove to fast (Above the speedlimit of 90km/h) or if I didn't respect my driving and resting hours in the past month. This is all registered by the Tachograph, also a bit of a big brother alias black box. But, it's a different situation.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
Professional drivers are bound by different rules than private citizens.
that said, in the US, you can insert a module provided by your insurance company, that records your driving habits and qualifies you for discounts if you are a safe driver.

I’m not a safe driver.

Back
Top Bottom