The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel vs Gas & Implications for RTW

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
All I know is we have the Diesel engine and gear box in an X5 and it is great.
that is one of the reasons I am drawn to this vehicle.

Michael Gain

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
ChasingOurTrunks said:
And this suggestion that the solenoids and timing chain are at the back of the engine is interesting to me too.
I need an adult. Can someone help me visualize this? If the transmission is mounted to the rear of the engine, how are the timing chains routed ? Do they attach to the crank behind the torque converter? How would the timing covers attach to the block if the transmission was there? 

MarksGrenadier

Reservation Holder
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Currently only the gas engine is optioned for the US market so not sure if that will change.  Sounds like both are going to be pretty good.  Diesel is usually slightly cheaper here and mileage would be better but they may not be able to satisfy the emissions here, although I would think Euro 5 standards are more stringent. I reached out them a couple of months ago asking about this and got a response that they have not made a final decision yet.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Michael Gain userid=8442400 postid=1330116833]
I need an adult. Can someone help me visualize this? If the transmission is mounted to the rear of the engine, how are the timing chains routed ? Do they attach to the crank behind the torque converter? How would the timing covers attach to the block if the transmission was there? [/QUOTE]

The timing chains are at the back against the firewall...

So it may be easier to take out the engine I think to change them, with the engine in place I think you'll wish you were working on a Land Rover.

Michael Gain

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Stu_Barnes said:

The timing chains are at the back against the firewall...

So it may be easier to take out the engine I think to change them, with the engine in place I think you'll wish you were working on a Land Rover.

Thanks, Stu. I understand that they are in the rear. Just not how that would would work. Looking at your illustrations, I don't know how the block casting can dissipate the torsional pressure from the transmission if the block houses the chain journals in the same location. I am not an engineer; someone obviously designed it this way for a reason. I just find it silly.

You're right, Stu. Land Rover chain guide replacement is much easier by comparison. I wonder if you would also have to lift the whole body off. Or, if there is the removal of the radiator support would provide enough clearance to pull the engine.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
You raise some  interesting points. From what I can find online 

"One of the bigger changes on the B58 is the location of the cam shaft timing chain drive. Typically found on the front of the engine, the B family of engines has the chain drive on the transmission side. The inertia of the transmission at this end of the engine significantly reduces the rotary oscillations and also therefore the loads acting on the chain drive." 

With this I'll have to take their word for it. The biggest issue really for this setup will be servicing the VANOS solenoids when that time comes, so I hope they have left enough room for that. 

As far as the engine to transmission torsional load and vibration, the back of the engine where the gearbox attaches is quite meaty. People have seriously upped the power on this engine family and it seems capable of handling that, again this is from what I'm reading on the Bimmer forums etc. 

As far as engine and transmission removal goes, I'm really hoping it will be a case of remove the radiator, supports and then withdraw from the front and not a body off job. 

Back
Top Bottom