The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Diesel Oil Specification Thread (B57 Engines)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Third oil change is in the books , odo reads 8760 . from decision time to packing the tools away took approximately 45 minutes . (took longer to clean up than to do the oil change)

Once done and after adding my usual 7.1l of oil in the engine when checking the oil level electronically it came up with refill 1l for both on road and off road ( oil at temp ) . low oil light came on only after the measurement and not while the car was warming up .

I thought it was weird for me to make a mistake of that magnitude, 1 L seemed excessive . So i added an extra 500ml of oil just as a test . Re measured and came to ok for on road and refill 500ml for off road .
It seems the resolution of measurement is not the best . But anyway warning light goes off as soon as you start the measurement and never came back .

Anyway not sure what happened there , so will wait for next time to investigate further .

Next service will be the major at the dealer at 12000k .

Thank you guys
Thanks for the update... which oil did you use?

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Ryco filter R2829P is an exact match for BMW 1142 7 826 799. Confirmed it with Ryco earlier today. They, like all filter sellers source filters from manufacturers around the world... including Bulgaria... ( umbrellas are an optional extra:ninja:)
Local prices seem to vary enormously.... Perhaps because it is BMW -related?
I have purchased the IG genuine Filter and the Ryco copy and must say the copy is not the exact same as the Ineos offer. I don't think I will be using the cheaper Ryco alternative.

20240213_085026.jpg

20240213_085009.jpg

20240213_085054.jpg

20240213_085750c.jpg

20240213_085805 (1).jpg

I'm no expert but these differences from the original filter would concern me.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems a lot of the filters vary slightly I looked at 5 different filter brands over here. Different weights, different number of pleats, plastic thickness varies etc. The BMW OEM filter, used by INEOS, does not have a great reputation either.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It seems a lot of the filters vary slightly I looked at 5 different filter brands over here. Different weights, different number of pleats, plastic thickness varies etc. The BMW OEM filter, used by INEOS, does not have a great reputation either.
Maybe not, but Ineos has no out when it comes to a warranty claim attributable to the oil filter.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe not, but Ineos has no out when it comes to a warranty claim attributable to the oil filter.
They do not have an out with a third party oil filter either - at least when you use a reputable brand like RYCO.

There are protections in legislation in Australia for consumers, it is one reason why third party suppliers say their product meets or exceeds the manufacturer's specifications. The legislation also protects the owner's warranty when using a licensed mechanic, and not the dealer, to do scheduled servicing of new cars.

Moreover, Australians since mid 2022 have the benefit of the revised Motor vehicle information scheme (or MVIS), which can help third party providers service and repair our cars.

MVIS.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
I have purchased the IG genuine Filter and the Ryco copy and must say the copy is not the exact same as the Ineos offer. I don't think I will be using the cheaper Ryco alternative.

View attachment 7849591

View attachment 7849592

View attachment 7849595

View attachment 7849596

View attachment 7849597

I'm no expert but these differences from the original filter would concern me.
The internal diameter be of more importance as that is the one that seals on the spigot. The .010" outer diameter difference wouldn't be an issue. There is even variances in genuine cartridge filters, it depends on who is making the filter at the time and what factory location the filter comes from. The extra pleats in the Genuine one would make it a better filter and better for using to the full 15k service interval. The good thing about Ryco is that you will not void your warranty in Australia and if the filter is proven to cause the engine failure they will cover it.

Shippa

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
When i picked up my from Perth, in mid March, I tried to buy oil and filter for a first oil change. I was lead to believe by the salesman that both were available! The service/parts department sold me an oil Filter at $49.50 but could not supply me with oil. After talking at length with service person they said to just use a 5W-30 oil and it should be OK. I was surprised by the attitude about meeting the BMW LL 12FE requirement.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When i picked up my from Perth, in mid March, I tried to buy oil and filter for a first oil change. I was lead to believe by the salesman that both were available! The service/parts department sold me an oil Filter at $49.50 but could not supply me with oil. After talking at length with service person they said to just use a 5W-30 oil and it should be OK. I was surprised by the attitude about meeting the BMW LL 12FE requirement.
I bought a 10L drum of Penrite C2 0w30 from Repco for around A$127 on special (with RACQ discount). Meets BMW LL-12FE and claimed to be suitable for also for where 0w-20 and 5w-30 grades are specified.20240502_111848.jpg
The local Ineos agent sold me a filter for A$41 Inc GST. The workshop was chock full of pre-delivery and vehicles in for service. He was most relaxed when I told him why I wanted the filter...just said make sure the oil is LL-12 FE! Went on to say the vehicles coming in for first service are all at 15k km long before their "12month" interval! :)
I'll go back in a couple of months for a full service after my forthcoming (June) multi week Cairns trip .. currently at 7000 km...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom