The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Denmark - the only supplier of hydrogen stations leaves the market.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
Just read an article in winfuture (German Site) - the provider everfuel stops the operation of its H2 stations.
Danish drivers of Fuel Cell vehicles must go cross border to find a station when to refuel

Reason was technial. - The HGV supplying H2 to stations have problems with valves not closing properly and emitting H2 in to environment and so quite a risk.
There is quite a way to go to make FC vehicles usable.
So I have no doubt fuel cell will provide sufficent energy for Grenadier. But provide energy for Grenadier FC is quite a challenge still.

Any catastrophic issue here will result in fear and stop any intent to purchase a promising technology.

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
The difficulty arises with storage as the vessels used in industry need to be inordinately heavy to withstand the high pressures required to deliver efficient amounts .
Alternatives are established in motorsports and the diving industry with carbon/Kevlar options .
JCB have developed viable tankers to fuel their ever expanding H2 range of plant & heavy plant vehicles .dismal news from the OP , but I feel we are just at the start of H2 , whereas the EV,s being force fed globally are clearly not fit for purpose.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
Those darned hydrogen atoms are just too small!! They wheedle their way into the interstitial sites in the metallic structures causing hydrogen embrittlement and hence weakened pressure vessels are the result. Also. there's no such thing as perfect insulation so as soon as the stuff is liquefied (at 50 deg below the BP of liquid nitrogen!) it gradually boils off and the pressure relief valves open sending it through a catalytic converter to form water. Use it or lose it!
Great in theory...abominably expensive in practice...
Here endeth the rant! 😇

Local time
Reaction score
The storage vessels we used in industry were indeed ridiculously thick and therefore heavy, materials and manufacturing tech never ceases to progress, I am aware of five different grades of hydrogen each quantified or rather labelled with a different colour grading, the hydrogen produced as a by product of the nuclear industry being the lowest grade , ( grey ) and the best grade being produced with “medical” grade stainless steel and titanium gen plates .regardless of the advances in production tech ,as you say issues arise with storage, companies like JCB, TOYOTA , INEOS are going the H2 route as the products & manufacturing quality behind EV,s is fatally poor.interesting times for sure

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
You explained the H2 technology better than I ever could. - However I am still with Methanol FC.. but there is still room of improvement in efficiency. H2 what is promoted by German Greens - is to me a dead end.

yerreps

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One of the few manufacturers of H2 refuellers in Europe is based in the UK and supplies companies like Toyota and BMW. Check them out at fuelcellsystems.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom