The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Day One heading to Baja and headaches already!

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
Don't forget that if you have the KO2s, they are E-rated with a max pressure of 80 psi.
So, yeah; annoying. Even more annoying that INEOS chooses to ignore the problem.
But, 50 psi is not really an issue for the tires or vehicle.

I've been using the cold temp reset a lot to avoid the high pressure and low pressure warnings and it has seemingly worked for me.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
The narrow pressure window for the tires / TPMS is a reported / known issue and I'm told Ineos engineers are going to implement a fix in a near future update. I was just in for service and voiced my concern with my dealer, who raised a ticket to Ineos. It has been acknowledged and that's what they said. Currently, the tire pressure variability window is only about +/- 3 psi, I think. Might be 4 or 5, but regardless, it's too narrow.

Anyone who has a problem with how the TPMS is working should complain to their dealer's service dept so we can get Ineos to address it faster. The more the merrier!

Their recommendation for now: drive the vehicle 10-15 minutes to get the tires warmed up a bit, then reset the cold temp setting in the offroad mode on the infotainment screen. I explained that mine won't allow me to reset once it's warm, and he said that it's supposed to let you, so maybe mine needs to be looked at. I didn't know this was a thing, so I didn't mention it at the time it was in for service last Friday. I get a warning that the parameters aren't met for reset or something to that effect.

This was a conversation about 2 hours ago with my service manager.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
Pick one up

Don't let the Grenadier idle for long times - even to keep the AC on. It can cause a CEL, and it will disable a cylinder - I had it happen in my driveway. Once I cleared the code, it was fine.

Also - best of luck! I'm 100% jelly of this trip and want to do something similar soonish.
We are driving in the Expedition Class-should be an absolute blast. I will post up some videos when we get back.
Don't forget that if you have the KO2s, they are E-rated with a max pressure of 80 psi.
So, yeah; annoying. Even more annoying that INEOS chooses to ignore the problem.
Especially when they recommend 49 pounds cold for a loaded/towing vehicle!

Last edited:

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The narrow pressure window for the tires / TPMS is a reported / known issue and I'm told Ineos engineers are going to implement a fix in a near future update. I was just in for service and voiced my concern with my dealer, who raised a ticket to Ineos. It has been acknowledged and that's what they said. Currently, the tire pressure variability window is only about +/- 3 psi, I think. Might be 4 or 5, but regardless, it's too narrow.

Anyone who has a problem with how the TPMS is working should complain to their dealer's service dept so we can get Ineos to address it faster. The more the merrier!

Their recommendation for now: drive the vehicle 10-15 minutes to get the tires warmed up a bit, then reset the cold temp setting in the offroad mode on the infotainment screen. I explained that mine won't allow me to reset once it's warm, and he said that it's supposed to let you, so maybe mine needs to be looked at. I didn't know this was a thing, so I didn't mention it at the time it was in for service last Friday. I get a warning that the parameters aren't met for reset or something to that effect.

This was a conversation about 2 hours ago with my service manager.

FWIW I've been able to reset mine while warm but I have no idea what the temp threshold for that is in the computer itself. Most recently I reset it after about 50 highway miles, 5-6 miles off road, and then after airing up (I went above where I normally have it and got a high warning, so I reset it when getting gas).

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Especially when they recommend 49 pounds cold for a loaded/towing vehicle!
The alarm is a function of +/- your cold set temp. So you could set that value higher. Regardless, the +/- spread to too narrow.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Crikey. Might as well be my Taco. How is new dog doing with all your travel?
The foster was adopted before i left and went to a great family. I had a friend dog sit my dogs so they were happy as they usually get special treatment from her. When I did get home my dogs were soooo excited! My female bassador was the most excited I’ve seen her.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Running my 17" KO2's @ 37 psi. As they heat up, I see 40 psi. The vehicle and steering are spot on. I do wonder if an increased pressure might improve fuel consumption but probably at the cost of comfort.
I’ve been tracking my mileage since I hit 5k miles. Now that I aired down a bit I am going to compare the mileage numbers in the next couple of weeks

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Day two and check engine light goes out by itself after a fill up leading me to believe it was octane related. Tire overpressure light was out but retriggered on two tires today. I will air them down when they cool. So far still no cruise but hoping that rectifies itself when it realizes there is n’o check engine light!

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Day two and check engine light goes out by itself after a fill up leading me to believe it was octane related. Tire overpressure light was out but retriggered on two tires today. I will air them down when they cool. So far still no cruise but hoping that rectifies itself when it realizes there is n’o check engine light!

Not sure if octane itself would do that, it does seem like the fuel management system in these leaves a lot to be desired, particularly at the extremes (low and full).

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Day three and I had to laugh, we stayed in Flagstaff and the temperatures dipped. Both front tires triggered a warning light for being too low. This never happened for the first 2,000 miles. Also got “take a break” a few times. We are off to Ensenada today.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What app do you recommend or have experience with? I'm considering the Car Scanner ELM OBD2.

TIA
I grabbed an Innova 5210 because it was the only thing I could find on the road. So far easy to use and has cleared the stored codes for me. No idea if it is a good scanner or not but doesn’t require an app to work which I like.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
These tire pressure alarms are indeed not critical as you can check the pressure, but they are annoying. I have now more than 30000 km and had it sometimes, but not very often: some weeks ago while the temperature was higher, high pressure alarm, and I could clear the following day, and some days ago, while it was getting very chilly, low pressure alarm here in Belgium. I could not clear it that easily, took me three days, I don't know why.

I think we should be able to clear it with one push on the screen!

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
Best advice re the TPMS is to reset the settings when the tyres are warm and neither cold nor hot, that way you get a decent spread of variation in both directions.
Second tip is run higher pressures on the road, sounds counterintuitive but higher pressures will heat up less as there is less deformation of the tyre and so less heat build up. I find any road pressures under 40psi will get warm on a long run, especially if the ambient temperature is high. I run min at around 50 psi on the road.

Local time
Reaction score
hahaha 60 years ago we were obsessing about mileage with another German designed car. I paid 29 cents/gallon for gasoline. Adjust for inflation...about the same.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Best advice re the TPMS is to reset the settings when the tyres are warm and neither cold nor hot, that way you get a decent spread of variation in both directions.
Second tip is run higher pressures on the road, sounds counterintuitive but higher pressures will heat up less as there is less deformation of the tyre and so less heat build up. I find any road pressures under 40psi will get warm on a long run, especially if the ambient temperature is high. I run min at around 50 psi on the road.
True enough and had to laugh at the amount of conversation a simple thing as TPMS has created. But it's an annoying feature particularly if you tow with a heavy towball download with ambient temps around 30c or 86f - rear tyre high pressure alarm is unavoidable. As you say set the cold tyre pressure to 49 to avoid them overheating, (as this is the highest cold pressure mine will allow) but the rear tyres will inevitably high pressure alarm after a few kilometres and when it does it locks me out of other features I might wish to scroll through... like coming into a town and and I want to look at fuel distance remaining to see if I need to top up fuel to get me to my next destination (as the fuel gauge itself is inaccurate). Even as I type this I have a smile - great vehicle - and for my purpose great tow vehicle and 4x4.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use OBDLink on android
I would have gotten that one on your recommendation but Amazon couldn’t get it to our last hotel before we crossed the border today.IMG_7769.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom