The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Dashcam Experiences/Recommendations Anybody?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
#FWIW
The Black Vue DR750S-2CH is an excellent product for both day and night. I fitted it to two vehicles
From my experience, compared to the later 900 series there is no real discernible difference* except the fact that if you can get a new DR750S, it can be about 1/2 the price of the later model. It uses the Sony "Starvis" CMOS sensor which is very good at night.

* Did a couple of comparisons day and night same conditions side by side with 900 series owned by extended family member.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
I know these things are top of the range but the price did shock me a little, but like I say they are top of the range models.

From the YouTube vid I am with you Emax, the A139 pro did seem to fair best on the clarity of number plates. Thanks for the heads up on the power it takes, sounds like that is something that needs more consideration.

I have fitting anything like this, I can take a house apart and rebuild it, but taking a piece of trim off a vehicle and I get cold feet. I am always looking for battery wireless versions tbh, even though I know the best idea is hard wiring.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
I know these things are top of the range but the price did shock me a little
Yes, it's a lot of money - though the A139 pro is on the market @ 375 Euros as a three channel system (in Germany).

The point is that all these cameras take nice footage. But if they don't reproduce the license plates correctly, the footage isn't worth much. That's the crucial point for me.

I think we'll see much better results in a few years, even at night. I don't know how that could be achieved in night scenarios, but the electronics and camera industry keeps surprising us with improvements that no one would have thought possible.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
always looking for battery
You'd better say goodbye to this idea. In a car, you have the worst possible conditions to run something with batteries. They don't last long, and they also pose some dangers.

Supercaps don't have this problem, but they (the ones in dashcams) only have capacity for a comparatively short time.

It's worth spending the money on a professional installation if you don't dare to do it yourself. If you know somebody which can do it privately, it will perhaps not cost more than a tank of fuel.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I have bought a Road Angel Halo Pro front and rear dash cam and it has been installed by my local auto electricians. Total cost under £500. (Yes, I'm a cheapskate!)Gren Dash Cam - 1.jpeg

This set up requires a permanent live feed and a ignition switched feed, so they were piggy-backed off the fuses in the front fusebox, by my left knee. The only snag they encountered was that the link lead between the two cameras was too short, so needed an extension to get working. As the wire bridge on the rear doors is at the bottom, the lead was short by metres, not centimetres!

Gren Dash Cam - 2.jpeg

Gren Dash Cam - 3.jpeg

Gren Dash Cam - 5.jpeg

Gren Dash Cam - 6.jpeg

The installer said there were no real issues, the wiring on the vehicle is well laid out and there are no surprises on the trim fixings.

Attachments

• Gren Dash Cam - 4.jpeg
    Gren Dash Cam - 4.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 120

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Jeremy996 "As the wire bridge on the rear doors is at the bottom, the lead was short by metres, not centimetres!
Thank you for this critical info.!
I have a Blackvue 750 dual channel on a current late model vehicle which I'll transfer to the Gren. but will now need the extension. Did they say whether the feed from the rear camera was above the roof lining or under the floor mats?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@Jeremy996 "As the wire bridge on the rear doors is at the bottom, the lead was short by metres, not centimetres!
Thank you for this critical info.!
I have a Blackvue 750 dual channel on a current late model vehicle which I'll transfer to the Gren. but will now need the extension. Did they say whether the feed from the rear camera was above the roof lining or under the floor mats?
The installer ran the lead along the side of the headlining, down the C post, through the trim box and into the bottom of the door, through the rubber trunking.

Phud

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
The installer ran the lead along the side of the headlining, down the C post, through the trim box and into the bottom of the door, through the rubber trunking.

@Jeremy996 any chance of a picture of your fuse box with the tails in place? I'm asking as curious if the "reserved" fuses might be used for circuits

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@Jeremy996 any chance of a picture of your fuse box with the tails in place? I'm asking as curious if the "reserved" fuses might be used for circuits
The first picture in post #25 is about as much as you will see; they cliped into the existing circuits and parking mode is switchable on the PWR switch.

Local time
Reaction score
If you want to use the vehicle for travelling, a fixed setup is maybe not the best idea. In some jurisdictions, dashcams are illegal with fines up to 25k. In other countries they may not be used permanently...

Phud

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The first picture in post #25 is about as much as you will see; they cliped into the existing circuits and parking mode is switchable on the PWR switch.
Thank you

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax - I use since quite a while a Vantrue N2S4K - front / inside no rear - resolution sufficient to recognise number plates. - Grenadier will get a Vantrue N4 4k front an rear cam. The N2 saved me from a couple of disputes already.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Intended to fit standard front/rear dashcam but ended up replacing rear view mirror with clip over electronic version that has dashcam built in (front and rear).

Also have rear camera on van for viewing when towing.

Works well, rear would have been better without the privacy glass as a little dark but clear enough. Wolfbox G840S + optional rear cam B09Q84NBFN.

wolf2.jpgwolf1.jpg
wolf3.jpg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What power source did you use on the front setup?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I have been hovering over the buy-now button on this same setup, or perhaps the G900. How have you adapted to using a screen instead of a mirror due to a different focal point?

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I have been hovering over the buy-now button on this same setup, or perhaps the G900. How have you adapted to using a screen instead of a mirror due to a different focal point?
Well...... there's not much to see out the back without it... side mirrors come in mighty handy 😅 Really though, you get used to it quick enough and has a wide vision. Basically it's a bonus for me as I wanted a camera for reversing the van and I was also going to install a dash cam. In the past I've wired up the van camera via the cars own reversing camera feed in but the Ineos.. well, this seemed an easier route and I ended up with sorting the caravan reversing, can now see out the back when not towing using the rear view 'mirror'... and have a front and rear dash cam built in - bonus.😀

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I purchased and fitted the G900 from Wolfbox and overall am happy with the results. I mounted the rear view camera on the roof in the same way as the new Defender. It takes a little getting used to with regards to the vision. As good as the Wolfbox is, the clarity is not like a real mirror. Having such a good rear view makes up a lot for any shortcomings.

Back
Top Bottom