The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Commercial 5 seat noise levels high compared to Station wagon

Unimog 406

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
Commercial 5 seat noise levels high compared to Station wagon

The Commercial 5 seater noise levels were noticeably high in my vehicle from day one of picking up my Grenadier, both exhaust and road noise from the rear. I have installed a 6mm thick solid rubber load bed protector which made no difference. Since having a loan Station wagon for the past two weeks, I can positively say without question the noise levels are totally different. The only vehicle construction difference I see is the station wagon has glass rear panels which would be more ridged than the steel panels that have sound deadening pads already attached.

Would that make so much difference to noise levels, any thoughts?

When my vehicle is returned I aim plan to add extra sound proofing to the rear load area. Namely adding sound additional deadening pads to the metal side panels, to wheel arches and to any panels accessible by removing the plastic side trims from the load area and under the rear seat.

It would be helpful to know if anyone has added any sound additional deadening to their Grenadier or ventured to removed the plastic side trims in the rear load area and how they disassembled the trims?

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
Did you check your noise experience with a decibel meter? Might it be subjectively louder than the SW? Road noise caused by tires? Maybe different type/size of tires on yours and the SW?

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
Did the Station wagon have carpet flooring? That would help quite a bit regarding noise levels. You can also try to dynamat as much of the interior as you can.

Unimog 406

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Both with 17" BFG's A/T's on steel rims
Commercial 37 PSI Delivery pressure
Station wagon 39 PSI
Only ever lightly loaded

Sound level noted early on after driving vehicle away after swop over, beside confirming steering improvement, accelerator response and not having excessive travel, gearbox/engine response and pulling away from standstill like I was overladen 10 tons and 80% less software issues.

But no decibel meter I'm afraid. I confirmed with the agent promptly with all the other issues with my June 27 delivered truck and how the loaner (11000miles, over a year old, ex demonstrator) was a revelation to drive! So I hope all the workshop time won't be in vain.

Unimog 406

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did the Station wagon have carpet flooring? That would help quite a bit regarding noise levels. You can also try to dynamat as much of the interior as you can.
Both with factory rubber mats and standard trim and tow bar

Back
Top Bottom