The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Chip tuning

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
From working in the industry for nearly two decades, a couple things that aren't great about that option...
  • The dyno results are simply Excel-style data plots, not raw dyno charts to show actual wheel power before/after (because no engine makes dead on what the manufacturer says, and a wheel dyno will never tell you exact crank HP/TQ).
  • They make no reference to what fuel is used, recommended, or required. When you get into increasing boost and timing, the difference between 91AKI and 93AKI (or 95 and 98RON, respectively) can legitimately make a difference, let alone the drastic differences in knock protection between 87AKI and 93AKI
Piggyback's have been in use for years (it's approaching two decades specifically in the BMW turbo petrol world), and while they have come a long way, still are not a true replacement for an ECU/DME remap (because they are lying to the DME to trick it into doing what they want, instead of having specific maps for the expected values).

Just food for thought

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
The DTE Systems version seems very expensive. I have written to them asking why it is three times the price of the competition. Their throttle control is similar price to the completion.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
I mean who does not want more power? At the same time I will take reliability, longevity and cheaper fuel over more power.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
Just let me know when you blow the drivetrain!😭
My Defender came with 110 hp. Ten years ago, Alive tuning upped that power to 236 bhp. A further 60,000 miles and still going strong. If I was to regularly put all of that horsepower into effect I’m sure I would do some damage however, the added mid range power and torque when moving from 30mph to 60 mph is extremely satisfying.
When comparing the drive components of my 20 year old Defender to the huge components of my Grenadier, there is no comparison. The Grenadier engine and gearbox are both capable of very heavy tuning. Bearing in mind the UK being somewhere that quality fuel can be guaranteed and the climate is not so hot or dusty, the only thing that would stop me from following a tuning path is the cost of insurance and warranty infringement. I have no concerns regarding the integrity of the mechanical components.

Back
Top Bottom