The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cable rubbing on prop shaft

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
Following on from someone who kindly posted cables rubbing on their prop shaft. I found mine in the same situation. Caught it just in the nick of time and good job it’s not worn straight through. I urge people to take a look just in case. What is this metal protected wire called? It runs above the prop shaft in right in front of the black central chassis cross bar. Noticed the cable fixing has broken off. Going in for a service next week with a long list. They will love me. I seem to posting lots of negative issues and fixes lately. Thanks to this forum, I think knowledge we gain and share is fantastic. The dealers should take a look. I want to let everyone know I absolutely love my Grenadier. It’s a tank and I absolutely love it. These issues is what gives it character!!

Attachments

• 01B42515-3B8F-4BFC-BD21-B98AE1999F10.jpeg
    01B42515-3B8F-4BFC-BD21-B98AE1999F10.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
  • 9A81F562-3C09-4663-81F2-330C6F4692D7.jpeg
    9A81F562-3C09-4663-81F2-330C6F4692D7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 90
  • 5402AFD1-B013-4299-BDDF-42AD08961F02.jpeg
    5402AFD1-B013-4299-BDDF-42AD08961F02.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 96

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
The hose hitting my drive shaft coupling didn't have a metal covering so probably a different hose. Mine had already worn a groove in the hose but luckily had not worn through. It was causing a extremely loud rattle that sounded like it was coming from the right front wheel area so it took me a while to find it since it was nowhere near that area.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
It that one of the t-case shit cables? Mine does not have the silver heat shielding, only the plastic jacket. But I have a ‘24my.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not sure what this cable is called, it a silver shielded cable that is right in front of the chassis cross bar towards the engine. It’s worn a groove in it but not gone through, thank god.

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've been under my truck several times now after postings like this. The picture looks like the large diameter hard plastic hose from the transfer case going forward (breather??). It's within 0.5 inch of the front driveshaft, but I just don't see any other wires or hoses even close to the driveshafts. Is there differences in models? Mine is a gasoline trialmaster.
Now I'm obsessing about it!!

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've been under my truck several times now after postings like this. The picture looks like the large diameter hard plastic hose from the transfer case going forward (breather??). It's within 0.5 inch of the front driveshaft, but I just don't see any other wires or hoses even close to the driveshafts. Is there differences in models? Mine is a gasoline trialmaster.
No difference in models, I think some just didn’t have the hoses secured properly at the factory. In my case the hose was like yours and when it hit a bump or was on a rough road the hose would hit the hex head nuts on the driveshaft coupling. I used a few zip ties to secure it.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
In the below images the first shows the black plastic cable retainer that tends to drop off it's keeper - cable then has propensity to drop down and rub on shaft - caught mine just in time. Second image shows fix by SLRV who were superb and made this metal cable retainer/clamp up within an hour or so of chatting with them - the retainer is locked on with a nut and will not drop off.

cable fixing.jpeg cable bracket markup.jpg

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mines diesel. Front and rear lockers.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The cable above the front shaft in the original picture has about 1 1/2 finger width clearance when the cable is secured next to the transfer case.
Use a 7mm cable tie and never have to worry about it.
In fact, use 7mm cable ties for everything important!

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The cable above the front shaft in the original picture has about 1 1/2 finger width clearance when the cable is secured next to the transfer case.
Use a 7mm cable tie and never have to worry about it.
In fact, use 7mm cable ties for everything important!
As my aircraft design engineer friend would say: "Triple redundancy in tandem if it's really important".

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No difference in models, I think some just didn’t have the hoses secured properly at the factory. In my case the hose was like yours and when it hit a bump or was on a rough road the hose would hit the hex head nuts on the driveshaft coupling. I used a few zip ties to secure it.
There’s certainly a difference in later deliveries versus early. We had the issue described by @Skydance however when I was under a later delivery I see the cable and routing are both changed versus what we have.

Ours came free as described above on the first trip, an issue that I found and resolved by pure luck chasing a rattle.
The rattle proved to be nothing more than a piece of gravel caught and making a racket on the cross member.

I’m thinking you guys stateside would all be getting the later Bowden cable configuration.

As @Tazzieman mentioned, some additional cable ties are prudent on our early examples.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Other discussion about rattles. Cable bracket has broken on some.

Makers52129

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
I have what sounds like the same rubbing sound occasionally! It seems to happen after a bump at lower speeds. Guess I’ll be under the car this weekend. Fun!

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Something I'll keep an eye on...

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
For folks who have zip tied the hell out of those cables, any pictures of your zip ties and where you're putting them?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
For folks who have zip tied the hell out of those cables, any pictures of your zip ties and where you're putting them?
If you look at the lefy hand pic at the start of the thread you will notice a ziptie around the cable. Next to the transfer case. Pop another one here , or 2 if it doesn't have one.
And then gaze up at the ceiling and see if anything else is dangling or seems vulnerable.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The fix on my Grenadier I will change the fixing on the top of the second photo to match the pipe clamp on the bottom fixing when I get the vehicle back 4c5425e7-27ae-4492-a38c-fdb9c48a9d93.jpeg3015c980-f74d-45e7-b0fb-b27a39440fdd.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom