The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

BruderX

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:33 AM
Reaction score
HOLY COW! $150k USD.

I just watched the video. Pretty amazing setup but the starting price is crazy and I’m sure it can quickly approach $200k.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
My mate builds off road camper trailers. He had a bloke buy one of his campers recently, who also has a Bruder X. The bloke said that the van is so expensive, that he doesn’t want to take it off-road and damage it. 😳
There will be plenty of Grenadier owners who think the same!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
HOLY COW! $150k USD.

I just watched the video. Pretty amazing setup but the starting price is crazy and I’m sure it can quickly approach $200k.
High local costs due to high wages, critical parts all imported based on a low A$ exchange rate, small population(25million), hence no 'economy of scale' unless they can crack an export market...but then transport costs kick in. It's a highly competitive cottage industry in terms of international manufacturing. Some try and offset this by outsourcing their manufacturing to China...
There are some local manufacturers e g Jayco who seem to have achieved a "critical mass"... but they're still relatively expensive....

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
High local costs due to high wages, critical parts all imported based on a low A$ exchange rate, small population(25million), hence no 'economy of scale' unless they can crack an export market...but then transport costs kick in. It's a highly competitive cottage industry in terms of international manufacturing. Some try and offset this by outsourcing their manufacturing to China...
There are some local manufacturers e g Jayco who seem to have achieved a "critical mass"... but they're still relatively expensive....
That’s Australia in a nutshell:
- We have the lowest cost manufacturers on our doorstep (China, Vietnam, Thailand), also some of the most advanced (Korea, Japan, Taiwan)
- We don’t have the population to justify the investment in local manufacturing
- anything we have to import is super expensive due to shipping

Thank god we have a metric shit tonne of iron ore.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My mate builds off road camper trailers. He had a bloke buy one of his campers recently, who also has a Bruder X. The bloke said that the van is so expensive, that he doesn’t want to take it off-road and damage it. 😳
and Daveman what brand would that be??

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
I always wonder with these types of trailers, whether there's a good 2nd hand market for them; and so it matters a little less what they cost to buy but more about how much you get back after doing your big tour?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I always wonder with these types of trailers, whether there's a good 2nd hand market for them; and so it matters a little less what they cost to buy but more about how much you get back after doing your big tour?
I think there is, anything high quality will sell. Unless you've drowned it in the sea or rolled it on its head.
How many grey nomads hang onto the expensive caravans once the big lap is done?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
I was somewhat "captivated" by the Bruder X4. I thought the engineering, functionality and design aesthetic blend very well. Then I did a rough cost/benefit ... the numbers just don't add up for me for recreational use. I included total on road cost price plus essential "add ons", standing costs opportunity cost, caravan camp fees, increased fuel costs, vehicle wear and tear, depreciation over say 5 yrs...
The net result is that for an annual overland touring trip in Australia per year, plus a few weekends away closer to home using a mix of camping and country pubs leaves one literally thousands of dollars better off. The lower overnight camp fees, lower fuel consumption and annual interest foregone on the capital outlay, annual registration and insurance cover the cost, leaving the original capital amount intact. Same goes for hiring .... most camper trailer hirers are looking for nightly country pub room rates for their daily rate....
That's not to say I don't occasionally envy folk who have a double axle off-road palace trailing behind their F250:cool:
Decent size caravans on the other hand for a 1-2 year sojourn around this "wide brown land" make a lot of sense...
To each their own within their resources I guess!

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I was somewhat "captivated" by the Bruder X4. I thought the engineering, functionality and design aesthetic blend very well. Then I did a rough cost/benefit ... the numbers just don't add up for me for recreational use. I included total on road cost price plus essential "add ons", standing costs opportunity cost, caravan camp fees, increased fuel costs, vehicle wear and tear, depreciation over say 5 yrs...
The net result is that for an annual overland touring trip in Australia per year, plus a few weekends away closer to home using a mix of camping and country pubs leaves one literally thousands of dollars better off. The lower overnight camp fees, lower fuel consumption and annual interest foregone on the capital outlay, annual registration and insurance cover the cost, leaving the original capital amount intact. Same goes for hiring .... most camper trailer hirers are looking for nightly country pub room rates for their daily rate....
That's not to say I don't occasionally envy folk who have a double axle off-road palace trailing behind their F250:cool:
Decent size caravans on the other hand for a 1-2 year sojourn around this "wide brown land" make a lot of sense...
To each their own within their resources I guess!
DennisM, Ive just got the swag and mozie net but have now purchased a stretcher that quickly folds up and a pillow, for when I cant find a Pub.
Cheers
Les H

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
DennisM, Ive just got the swag and mozie net but have now purchased a stretcher that quickly folds up and a pillow, for when I cant find a Pub.
Cheers
Les H
Forgot to mention I have two Army Hootchies joined and attached to Hootchie cord to make a shower proof canopy if and when needed.
Les H

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cheers
Les H
Thank god, too Les. Seeing you spill out of an air conditioned trailer for your close up might've been more than we could stand.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
Even in a configuration of "only" $100,000, the Bruder X is still quite a Grenadier, a Volkswagen T6 California, or some of the standard campers based on a Fiat Ducato or similar.

In my view, a luxury item for those who can weigh their money.

I have yet to count mine.

Back
Top Bottom