The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

bridgestone vs bfgoodrich 17 or 18

Manuel4x4

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
What do you think of the standard tire of the grenadier bridgestone.
In my opinion it looks very good and I don't think it is much inferior off road compared to the bf.
I'm sure it will be less noisy and I don't know if it will be worth paying more for the bf option.I'm also not sure 18 tires are worth paying more for.

What is your opinion?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Manuel4x4 said:
What do you think of the standard tire of the grenadier bridgestone.
In my opinion it looks very good and I don't think it is much inferior off road compared to the bf.
I'm sure it will be less noisy and I don't know if it will be worth paying more for the bf option.I'm also not sure 18 tires are worth paying more for.

What is your opinion?
Totally depends upon your purpose for the vehicle. Opinionated but experienced Andrew has some thoughts https://youtu.be/W7wKvLsfYJk

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I was a huge BFG fanboy for years.  The OG KO, the KO2.  But I have Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT on my Tundra now.  They're super quiet, much better in the wet and snow, and seem as good off road.  They're my new favorite tire.

I'm planning on getting the 17" alloys and swapping to the Coopers early on.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
17" steelies for me on BFG KO2s. Swear by the KO2s..very good all around tires. Cooper Discoverer STT Maxx are a very close second in my mind. I would upgrade from the factory 265/70 to 285/70s though to get close to 33"

furthermore:
17": More tire the better for my kind of usage
Steelies: because I like the looks. 6 lug design might mean good aftermarket chose with EVO Corse or Ikon or BRAID wheels in the alloy department anyway. The INEOS alloys dont do much for me design wise

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
Yeah I'll opt for 17" steels 100%. Then depending on price maybe the BFGs, as personally I prefer muds so would be swapping anyway! Also looking at getting some Braids, as a good mate is a UK supplier, and I think they'd look great on the Grenny

Local time
Reaction score
Coopers for me every time.
after spiking a tyre in Arnhem Land we pulled in to a very remote tyre shop and I was comforted to find coopers stocked, the very helpful owner said they only stock three brands which are the most durable.
so after two of our longest trips one 22,000 kms and another 25,000 with six wheels on the road we have had one issue. 
the foot note is there is always some luck involved.
Kind regards to all

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Cooper AT3s we’re the worst tires I have ever had in snow. On my wife’s GX they were downright scary. You would come to a stop and if there was any side slope at all you would just start to slide sideways on brand new tires. ST MAxx on my tundra now and ko2s went onto the GX.  On the ineos I will prob go with alloys and throw on some ST Maxx 255/80r17 if they fit. 

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=AZGrenadier AZGrenadier userid=8441494 postid=1330210978]Cooper AT3s we’re the worst tires I have ever had in snow. On my wife’s GX they were downright scary. You would come to a stop and if there was any side slope at all you would just start to slide sideways on brand new tires. ST MAxx on my tundra now and ko2s went onto the GX.  On the ineos I will prob go with alloys and throw on some ST Maxx 255/80r17 if they fit. [/QUOTE]

That's funny, it's exactly opposite my experience.  Was it the original AT3s?  Or the newer models that are now broken out into three models (4s, LT, XLT)?  Not discounting your personal experience, just curious for more details?

I have the updated XLT models and love them, have much better experience than my old KO2s, especially wet or snow.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty sure they were the 4s. Got talked into SL tires from the discount guy and needed tires at the time. This was the first non LT tires in probably 10 years. I was very disappointed at the first snowflake. 

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
I love the KO2s, but like others I have been won over by Cooper AT3s. I'm surprised to hear @AZGrenadier your experience as mine also was the exact opposite; I had KM2s for a long time on my Jeep and I might as well have been driving on plastic donuts; the Coopers were fantastic in the snow and ice up here in northern Alberta. My latest truck came with Goodyear Duratracs which are great on the highway and decent enough off road, but as soon as they are worn out I'll be swapping back to Coopers.

It's old now, but Expedition Portal did a shoot-out of the tires, and thats what informed my choice - the Coopers got both the Value AND the Editors Choice award, which if you follow these kinds of things, almost never happens - the best option is rarely amongst the most affordable, but Coopers fit that bill. I ran them for well over 150k on my JK and never a flat or a problem; the KM2s would get a hole at least annually. Same use case, so I credit the durability of the Cooper tires for that shift.

https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

On my Gren, 17" steelies for sure, and probably do what I'm doing on my current rig - use up the stock tires (if they perform even adequately) and then move to Coopers. 

Back
Top Bottom